WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

7 hours ago, umpiredice said:

Just checked the Sportsnet listings, and on the four regional channels they are showing Canada vs. Panama in 30, followed by a 30 minute pre-game, followed by the full match.

Last Window Sportsnet was only going to show the Panama game on the streaming app as it was up against the Leafs season opener and mlb playoffs.  A last minute switch and they put the game on sportsnet one for 2 hours.

This go around, they have 3 hours blocked off for the game being shown on 3 of the 4 main station.  Full pre and postgame starting at 8:30.  The Leafs and Flames game overlaps and won't be done till 9:30.  I must admit, sportsnet has upped their game.  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Don’t know anything about the guy but I will take a US ref over someone from Central America who might be more inclined to buy the diving bullshit that we are all familiar with.  

I feel like the country of origin of refs is purely something done for optics. A good impartial referee should be good no matter what. In reality, a good Costa Rican/Canadian referee would be fine but any marginal calls would be overblown by media/fans. 

2 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I feel like the country of origin of refs is purely something done for optics. A good impartial referee should be good no matter what. In reality, a good Costa Rican/Canadian referee would be fine but any marginal calls would be overblown by media/fans. 

Maybe.  And it could just be my own biases.   But in my experience it seems like Central American refs tend to put up with a lot more CONCACAF bullshit, time wasting, diving, faking injury etc.   The reality is that it seems to be culturally more a part of the game in some spots within the region and I think that impacts the reffing standards.  

All just my opinion of course.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Costa Rica looks to be travelling to Edmonton this afternoon. Some Visa issues with last minute call ups. 

https://www.fedefutbol.com/2021/11/10/fedefutbol-consiguio-visas-canadienses-para-todos-los-seleccionados/

Looks like they've been practicing on grass in hot central american weather. May only get one day of practice in Edmonton. 

EDIT: Wonder if these are their flights.... 

Depart San Jose to Houston

2:20 PM UA1099
Houston (IAH)
United Airlines B738 (N87531)

Estimated dep. 2:20 PM

Arrive Edmonton From Houston

1:10 AM WS9507
Houston (IAH)
WestJet B738 (C-GWSA)

Scheduled
Edited by king1010

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe.  And it could just be my own biases.   But in my experience it seems like Central American refs tend to put up with a lot more CONCACAF bullshit, time wasting, diving, faking injury etc.   The reality is that it seems to be culturally more a part of the game in some spots within the region and I think that impacts the Redding standards.  

All just my opinion of course.  

Nah I think you're right, in many parts of Lat-Am it's considered part of the game and something you can be good at. Officials from those soccer cultures can't help but be a bit affected by that even though they're all supposed to be universally objective FIFA refs.

15 hours ago, footballfreak said:

II was trying to do some research into Anthony Contreras, the 21 year old striker who they’ve brought in. He is currently the joint top scorer in the Costa Rican league, despite playing on loan at 10th place (of 12) Guanacasteca. He’s also the only forward on the roster younger than 29.

So far, no video, but I accidentally ran into this gem.

I LOVE that one kid on the pink pinnie team - #16, a little on the chunky side. He’s a common fixture on all three goals and NEVER once expends energy, just spectated. I’ll bet my last dollar he had a full expectation of a stop for ice cream after the game. 

Although the Leafs used to have Jake Gardner i’m Confident Canada don’t have any players who defend like that. No worries on defending this call up! 

Edited by Wayverider

Elfath is quite highly regarded afik. Reffed the MLS is back final. I’m aware of his name from watching lots of MLS, and I’ve never seen anyone complain that he was the ref that day - which is perhaps the highest/only praise a ref can get.

He’s certainly not shy about handing out cards, but at least there doesn’t seem to be a lot of bias in it.

Home team: 1.66 yellows/game, 0.11 reds/game

Away team: 1.70 yellows/game, 0.14 red/game

My perception of him may be somewhat unfairly skewed though, since he has apparently carded Vancouver at 80% of his average rate over the years.

Montreal fans may have a different perspective as he has apparently carded them the second most of any team in MLS.

Edited by footballfreak
Edited statistics for his whole career instead of just this season. Bigger sample.

55 minutes ago, king1010 said:

EDIT: Wonder if these are their flights.... 

Depart San Jose to Houston

2:20 PM UA1099
Houston (IAH)
United Airlines B738 (N87531)

Estimated dep. 2:20 PM

Arrive Edmonton From Houston

1:10 AM WS9507
Houston (IAH)
WestJet B738 (C-GWSA)

Scheduled

It would be a real shame if somebody called in some sort of distraction to George Bush and they missed their connection.

(not condoning this by any means)

2 hours ago, narduch said:

We got an American ref crew.

According to the Twitter account that posts these, this American officiating crew is a last-minute replacement for our original officiating crew, which is why it took until today to confirm. The original crew was apparently a referee from Guatemala and assistants from Trinidad and Tobago and Nicaragua, but 2 of the 3 were unable to get their visa in time for travel to Canada.

Just now, Neil R. said:

According to the Twitter account that posts these, this American officiating crew is a last-minute replacement for our original officiating crew, which is why it took until today to confirm. The original crew was apparently a referee from Guatemala and assistants from Trinidad and Tobago and Nicaragua, but 2 of the 3 were unable to get their visa in time for travel to Canada.

*Caribbean referees checks Edmonton weather*

"Yeah sorry, I won't be able to get my.. uh Visa in time"

6 minutes ago, chalms04 said:

It would be a real shame if somebody called in some sort of distraction to George Bush and they missed their connection.

(not condoning this by any means)

Don't bother - WestJet flight is a charter. But if you wanted to meet the Ticos bus @ EIA around 2 AM, there's some El Salvador fans in Toronto with helpful advice.

Ticos plane leaves Edmonton (?!?!?) around 3:30, if you are looking for a plane to hold up.... It didn't get stuck at the Oil Sands this morning; it's already on the ground @ YEG waiting to leave.

Love the high level of info in this chat group.  

Bolanos played in the US game for CRC.  He's 38.  Milks turns faster than he does.

Will very much enjoy seeing the speed of our lads!  We just need the ref to give yellows when warranted.  

Who is reffing the USA v. Mexico game?  

11 minutes ago, B-Lo said:

Bolanos played in the US game for CRC.  He's 38.  Milks turns faster than he does.

Will very much enjoy seeing the speed of our lads!  We just need the ref to give yellows when warranted.  

They are getting the card happy ref we had v Martinique at the Gold Cup. 

25 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

Thanks for that info.

I thought it was weird that Costa Rica was getting 2 American refs this window.

25 minutes ago, B-Lo said:

Bolanos isn’t in the squad this time. The notion that they’re old/slow isn’t necessarily true. Ruiz and Borges are older but it’s not a squad full of old men. We have the two of the three oldest players between the squads with Hutchinson and Vitoria.

39 minutes ago, king1010 said:

No Matarrita for Canada game. 

They were still practicing in Costa Rica today... not exactly adapting to the conditions. 

Along with no Navas, all the Jamacans missing last window, Canada is getting a fairly good run of luck. Hopefully it can continue and 1 or more of Jimenez, Lozano, Corona, Moreno pick up a 2nd yellow in their first match and are suspended for ours.

29 minutes ago, king1010 said:

No Matarrita for Canada game. 

They were still practicing in Costa Rica today... not exactly adapting to the conditions. 

Matarrita is certainly a big loss for them - starting left back, played 271/280 minutes for them last window.

I had them penciled in as Matarrita - Calvo - Duarte - Blanco across the back of a 4231.

Not sure who the natural replacement is. Brian Oviedo maybe, but he’s only played 28 competitive minutes in the last month, all for Costa Rica. No appearances for Copenhagen.

Other options are Juan Pablo Vargas (secondary position), Orlando Galo (secondary position). Not sure if Blanco or Keysher Fuller can switch sides.

I wonder if this injury might push them into a 5 back formation like they played in Honduras. They got absolutely shelled, but they picked up a point. 

Oviedo - Calvo - Duarte - Waston - Blanco

Combined age 157.

25 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Along with no Navas, all the Jamacans missing last window, Canada is getting a fairly good run of luck. Hopefully it can continue and 1 or more of Jimenez, Lozano, Corona, Moreno pick up a 2nd yellow in their first match and are suspended for ours.

I have said it many times.  For all the shit luck we have had in the past, virtually every circumstance has lined up in our favour during this qualifying cycle.  If we fail to get it across the finish line, we can’t possibly blame it on anyone but ourselves.  The stars have aligned to send us to Qatar- let’s make it happen.