WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

23 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The playing in front of more fans angle is total BS..  i listened in on some stuff comming out of Edmonton thiw week and lets just say,  they they went all out and pulled no punches to make sure that that place was sold out.   The local media outlets we hyping the crap out of this thing and almost threatening people to attend.  Ok, i am using hyperbole but you get my point.  They must have given away tickets.  Let forget, that the Fifa inspection was occurring for the host cities for 2026.  So thats another reason to pull no punches to fill the seats. 

You had nothing like that kind of hype in Toro

Ridiculous. Ticket giveaways? No way.  The game was hyped as much as it should be. The game was in Edmonton to give Canada a home advantage, maybe a mistake, but it might help against Mexico. 

Laryea impressed the hell out of me for awhile, but he's nuts! Settle the @#$% down buddy. I'm starting to wonder if you're worth it. 

imo

18 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

They must have given away tickets, because there's no way a place like Edmonton could sell that many tickets?  Maybe they did hype the crap out of it and people just bought tickets and decided to come.  Sure there were some comps for youth football, but 99% of tickets were paid for.

My grandkids in youth soccer got a modest discount offer, not close to free.

41 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It was mentioned in the broadcast that Costa Rica filed a complaint regarding the surface and as a result games cannot be played on turf again 

Before people think the Jan won't be at BC Place. This is likely why BC Place is replacing its turf in January 

Lol as if they'd be within 3 goals of us on a pristine pitch. 

Poor from Davies. His worst performance this cycle. Trying to do too much and constantly got dispossessed. Also, I'm not a big fan of playing him as a striker. I think he best for Canada on the wing.

Adekube was a beast. Easily MotM.

Canada did just enough to come away with a huge win. But they will have to be much much better on Tuesday if they hope to get a result against Mexico. I do think having a game under their belt on that pitch and in the cold can only help though! 

1 minute ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Poor from Davies. His worst performance this cycle. Trying to do too much and constantly got dispossessed. Also, I'm not a big fan of playing him as a striker. I think he best for Canada on the wing.

Adekube was a beast. Easily MotM.

Canada did just enough to come away with a huge win. But they will have to be much much better on Tuesday if they hope to get a result against Mexico. I do think having a game under their belt on that pitch and in the cold can only help though! 

Adekugbe played like Bayern Davies tonight, skill and speed on full show.

I'm not sure if Davies just really wanted to create a highlight reel goal in his hometown but the amount of passes he didn't make while simultaneously losing the ball trying to dribble through crowds made it so frustrating to watch. By the end of the game I was just shouting "PASS" everytime he had possession, and never ended up passing. Reminded me of Soteldo for TFC

To anyone that went to the game tonight, was there any issues with out of province vaccine cards in trying to get into the stadium?

Just wondering if I should bring paper proof as well for Tuesday, or if the cards did the job.

Edited by Weng

1 hour ago, Grandbloke said:

Why was that field not made to be 75 yards wide? A CFL field is 65 yards wide and you could see the CFL sidelines. The field  was at most 2 yards wider on each side, so not more than 69 yards in overall width. And yet there appears to be plenty of room on that turf to make the field a full 75 yards wide.

1 hour ago, gator said:

That's what I thought would happen after Herdman's now famous session with the groundskeeper, I don't know why you would really need a groundskeeper for a plastic pitch!

I mentioned it on here before, but there is no space to widen the pitch — even though the green tarps make it appear as such. 

There’s a full Olympic-sized track surrounding the field. It’s currently covered by a green carpet that matches the colour of the field, but (as far as I know) it’s literally just laid on top of the track without any kind of padding underneath. 

The pitch itself is old, worn down and ugly, but it’s as wide as it’s going to get without properly taking the track out.

3 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

He kicked him in the leg, then the ball. Pretty good call by the official from a bad angle.

thank-you @_Vic_ for being fair.  initially i agreed with the others but after seeing the replays, i applaud mr elfath for getting it right.  ide rather a referee do us wrong by getting it right than us getting away with the referee wrong.  

cheap victories now always come back to haunt u...

Tuesday, I want Davies on the left wing, Tajon on the right, Oso, Eustaquio and one of Hutch/Kaye in the middle. Back three of Miller, Vittoria, Johnston, and Larin and David up front.  

Off the bench, Ugbo for Larin or David. Millar for Tajon or Davies. One of Hutch/Kaye for Hutch/Kaye. Laryea and Sam where needed.

This set up bungs up the midfield, gives us lots of cover coming back, and plenty of fire power on the counter.  And, it will allow Davies to do what he's great at, but not overdo it.

3 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Tuesday, I want Davies on the left wing, Tajon on the right, Oso, Eustaquio and one of Hutch/Kaye in the middle. Back three of Miller, Vittoria, Johnston, and Larin and David up front.  

Off the bench, Ugbo for Larin or David. Millar for Tajon or Davies. One of Hutch/Kaye for Hutch/Kaye. Laryea and Sam where needed.

This set up bungs up the midfield, gives us lots of cover coming back, and plenty of fire power on the counter.  And, it will allow Davies to do what he's great at, but not overdo it.

You have to think Herdman goes back to the well from the Azteca game.

4231: Borjan - Laryea/Adekugbe, Miller, Vitoria, Johnston - Kaye, Eustaquio - Davies, Osorio, Buchanan - David/Larin

6 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Is this as far towards qualifying to a World Cup we've come since 1986? Anyone has stats?

This is the closest we’ve been since 1994.

We made the inter-conderation playoff, lost the first round on penalties to Australia, who then lost 1-2 on aggregate to Argentina.

1998 we made the Hex. Finished dead last. 1-3-6. 5 GF, 20 GA

2022 is the first time since 1998 that Canada has even reached the final round of qualifying.

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

Is this as far towards qualifying to a World Cup we've come since 1986? Anyone has stats?

Yes.  By far.  There wasn’t an hexagonal or octagonal for 86.  As far as i recall.  And mexico, as host, was guaranteed a spot.  We only made the hex once; in WCQ98. 

Our Performance in the hex for WCQ 98 was terrible. I recall it very well.  First two games were at Azteca and Palo alto, and i knew after two games that wasnt going to happen.   The main reason we made it to hex that cycle was because of the unbelievebly mickey mouse group we had drawn in the previous round.   I still maintain that we had better teams 2000-2012 era than that WCQ team from 98 that made it to the hex. 

Edit.:  forgot about that playoff versus Australia.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Weng said:

To anyone that went to the game tonight, was there any issues with out of province vaccine cards in trying to get into the stadium?

Just wondering if I should bring paper proof as well for Tuesday, or if the cards did the job.

Bring that paper printout.  Security at the stadium had a lad who had the Manitoba app but ran into an issue at more than one pub/eatery who didn't get it.  Still got in but a bit of a hassle...