WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

9 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

This is gonna hurt me to type this, but should the USA game be at BMO? BC Place is nowhere near as bad as Commonwealth, but it’s yet another new venue to get used to. A lot of home advantage comes from familiarity.

Toronto and Vancouver stand apart in Canada as far as preparing and getting it right for these kind of events. 

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

This is gonna hurt me to type this, but should the USA game be at BMO? BC Place is nowhere near as bad as Commonwealth, but it’s yet another new venue to get used to. A lot of home advantage comes from familiarity.

I would say so yes. Play Jamaica in BC, US in Toronto. 

Best way to give our team access to decent surfaces and good home fans 

8 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Part of making it to Qatar is learning to win even on bad pitchs.  How often have we had to play on converted cricket grounds or other such cow pastures all over CONCACAF??  You have a shitty pitch, narrow pitch, hard turf, cold turf...adjust your game plan, adjust your starting lineup and learn to get the most of any game and win anywhere.  And lets play the long game eh??  Play some games outside of TO if you want to grow the game, get more attention, sponsors etc.  

I did not see the interview but my father just messaged me to tell me that Sports Centre held an interview with a commentator from Edmonton that said that the players deserve to play on a better playing surface like Toronto and Vancouver. And that the desire to play in front of more fans should not have driven the decision making.

My American & Mexican friends from USA have been making fun of the pitch all night.  Turf was terrible, football lines unprofessional, way too narrow.  

But... what a crowd Edmonton put together and we pulled it off thanks to a bit of luck.  We were the better team anyways.

Edited by Corazon

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I did not see the interview but my father just messaged me to tell me that Sports Centre held an interview with a commentator from Edmonton that said that the players deserve to play on a better playing surface like Toronto and Vancouver. And that the desire to play in front of more fans should not have driven the decision making.

My American & Mexican friends from USA have been making fun of the pitch all night.  Turf was terrible, football lines unprofessional, way too narrow.  

But... what a crowd Edmonton put together and we pulled it off thanks to a bit of luck.  We were the better team anyways.

Did Caldwell call it a massive mistake?

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

Missed the interview but was told by my father that from one of the Sports Centre there was a commentator from Edmonton that said that the players deserve to play on a better playing surface like Toronto and Vancouver. And that the desire to play in front of more fans should not have driven the decision making.

The playing in front of more fans angle is total BS..  i listened in on some stuff coming out of Edmonton thiw week and lets just say,  they went all out and pulled no punches to make sure that that place was sold out.   The local media outlets we hyping the crap out of this thing and almost threatening people to attend.  Ok, i am using hyperbole but you get my point.  They must have given away tickets.  Lets not forget, that the Fifa inspection was occurring for the host cities for 2026.  So thats another reason to pull no punches to fill the seats. 

You had nothing like that kind of hype in Toronto.

Edited by Free kick

29 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Why was that field not made to be 75 yards wide? A CFL field is 65 yards wide and you could see the CFL sidelines. The field  was at most 2 yards wider on each side, so not more than 69 yards in overall width. And yet there appears to be plenty of room on that turf to make the field a full 75 yards wide.

That's what I thought would happen after Herdman's now famous session with the groundskeeper, I don't know why you would really need a groundskeeper for a plastic pitch!

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It was mentioned in the broadcast that Costa Rica filed a complaint regarding the surface and as a result games cannot be played on turf again 

Before people think the Jan won't be at BC Place. This is likely why BC Place is replacing its turf in January 

I thought they said the Costa Rica manager was going to file a complaint demanding that games should never be played on turf again. 

Just now, SkuseisLoose said:

Idk if anyone else has posted this but I was about 15 rows up from the front and I couldn’t hear the guy with the loudspeaker at all. Was there a problem with it or something or is my hearing just bad. Entertaining game overall can’t wait for Mexico.

Agreed, I was in row 25 in O, two different chants going on at the same time. Don't think Commonwealth is designed with acoustics in mind 😄

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

So Panama got a miracle fuck

Not a fan of the surface or the width. And, yet, Mexico will want the ball on the ground, will want a lot of possession, and will not enjoy the cold. Our real advantage Tuesday--along with the amazing crowd--will be that we've had a lot more experience playing on this crappy turf and will be able to adapt more readily. It is going to be another scrappy battle.

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Not a fan of the surface or the width. And, yet, Mexico will want the ball on the ground, will want a lot of possession, and will not enjoy the cold. Our real advantage Tuesday--along with the amazing crowd--will be that we've had a lot more experience playing on this crappy turf and will be able to adapt more readily. It is going to be another scrappy battle.

I think there's something to this. Aside from that one horrid pass by Atiba towards the end, the boys seemed to settle in and learn the flow of the pitch by the second half

9 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Problem is that players like Davies and TB are superb at having control while at full speed.   Thats what makes them amazing.  And several other of our players are good dribblers.   They can not do that on that surface.   Plus the high bounces were letting opposing defenders get back in position.

Edited by Free kick

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The playing in front of more fans angle is total BS..  i listened in on some stuff comming out of Edmonton thiw week and lets just say,  they they went all out and pulled no punches to make sure that that place was sold out.   The local media outlets we hyping the crap out of this thing and almost threatening people to attend.  Ok, i am using hyperbole but you get my point.  They must have given away tickets.  Let forget, that the Fifa inspection was occurring for the host cities for 2026.  So thats another reason to pull no punches to fill the seats. 

You had nothing like that kind of hype in Toronto.

They must have given away tickets, because there's no way a place like Edmonton could sell that many tickets?  Maybe they did hype the crap out of it and people just bought tickets and decided to come.  Sure there were some comps for youth football, but 99% of tickets were paid for.