WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

21 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh I just cant see the Mexican fans enjoying that at all.  They would prob string up the whole coaching staff if Mexico parked the bus and played for a tie.  

Thats a common occurance in mexico.  They are used to the incessant scrutiny & criticism from fans and media. 

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

The result and outcome of the Costa rica match may well determine if the mexico match becomes a good game or a snooze fest.  

Was just listening to the latest podcast of extratime radio and Matt doyle made a good point that got me thinking. We have not yet (or seldom ever) had to play as the favourite.  Therefore, can we adapt to playing a game where a side like Mexico regards us as the favourite? when is the last time we ever had to face a top 10 concacaf side who ever had to park the bus against us?   2001 maybe? 

Hence , if we win and continue our current good form against Costa Rica,  Mexico might start to think that an away draw against canada is a perfectly suitable outcome, moreso if they get a decent result in Cincinnatti.  And, Herdman and team might think the same (ie.; four out of six points will do the trick).  This is the perfect recipe for the occurance of those 0-0 snoozefests that you occasionally see in int’l soccer. 

Snoozefest schmoozefest I'd sign for that scenario right now!

8 hours ago, red card said:

TSN video on the impact of Edmonton's weather. They make it out to be scary.

https://www.tsn.ca/Soccer/video/the-edmonton-advantage~2318965

Counterview is from Sandor's article:

Costa Rican players told their federation’s official website that they don’t expect the weather to be too much of a challenge. Defender Francisco Calvo, who currently plays for MLS side Chicago Fire, and previously played for Minnesota United, said that cold weather will “not be a surprise” to him. Defender Johan Venegas has also played in Minnesota and with the Montreal Impact (now CF Montreal).

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/canada-not-worried-getting-behind-221353809.html

What I didn't like to hear in that report is that the pitch will freeze and players will hydroplane. Compared to Costa Rica, Jeeze, we have the more skilled players. We don't want them hurt and out for the Mexico game. I hope Herdman isn't being too smart by half.

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

when is the last time we ever had to face a top 10 concacaf side who ever had to park the bus against us?   2001 maybe? 

Every night before I fall asleep for the last year.

Edited by Sal333

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

The result and outcome of the Costa rica match may well determine if the mexico match becomes a good game or a snooze fest.  

Was just listening to the latest podcast of extratime radio and Matt doyle made a good point that got me thinking. We have not yet (or seldom ever) had to play as the favourite.  Therefore, can we adapt to playing a game where a side like Mexico regards us as the favourite? when is the last time we ever had to face a top 10 concacaf side who ever had to park the bus against us?   2001 maybe? 

Hence , if we win and continue our current good form against Costa Rica,  Mexico might start to think that an away draw against canada is a perfectly suitable outcome, moreso if they get a decent result in Cincinnatti.  And, Herdman and team might think the same (ie.; four out of six points will do the trick).  This is the perfect recipe for the occurance of those 0-0 snoozefests that you occasionally see in int’l soccer. 

As much as I would enjoy an exciting 2nd game, the pragmatist in me would definitely be content with a win against CR followed by a somewhat boring draw against Mexico.  Locking down 4 points would be a pretty successful window considering one of the opponents is the regional heavyweight.   

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

As much as I would enjoy an exciting 2nd game, the pragmatist in me would definitely be content with a win against CR followed by a somewhat boring draw against Mexico.  Locking down 4 points would be a pretty successful window considering one of the opponents is the regional heavyweight.   

For a number of reasons we need to beat Mexico. Here are just a few:

- bragging rights

- it will help in changing the minds of some dual nationals.

- if we get a draw against Mexico and a win against Costa Rica that puts us at only 14 points with 4 away games and only two home games left and having to pick up at least 7 points in those two windows.

- my blood pressure won't survive the stress

55 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

What I didn't like to hear in that report is that the pitch will freeze and players will hydroplane. Compared to Costa Rica, Jeeze, we have the more skilled players. We don't want them hurt and out for the Mexico game. I hope Herdman isn't being too smart by half.

It would make a mockery of the game if that was to happen.  The weather reports indicate that the risk will be the second game.  

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

It was always my concern but Toronto weather isn’t slated to be much better in the end.  I would have kept Costa Rica on our best pitch because we can win and not risk injury or chance of snow.  CSA did their homework though.  Let’s pray for no injury

57 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

For a number of reasons we need to beat Mexico. Here are just a few:

- bragging rights

- it will help in changing the minds of some dual nationals.

- if we get a draw against Mexico and a win against Costa Rica that puts us at only 14 points with 4 away games and only two home games left and having to pick up at least 7 points in those two windows.

- my blood pressure won't survive the stress

Agree to disagree I guess.  Needing 7 points (if we assume 21 is still the threshold) from 6 games seems pretty doable - even if some of them are away.   Beating Jamaica and the US at home has to be viewed as an easier task than beating Mexico. So that should be 6 points.  And we are undefeated having played away in Mexico and Jamaica.  I am confident we will pick up more road points - especially considering we play CR and ES in that stretch of games.  

Of course it would be nice to beat Mexico.  I am going to Edmonton from PEI in the hope that it will happen.  But if I could lock in 4 points right now I think I would take it. 

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

It was always my concern but Toronto weather isn’t slated to be much better in the end.  I would have kept Costa Rica on our best pitch because we can win and not risk injury or chance of snow.  CSA did their homework though.  Let’s pray for no injury

One element I didn’t expect to impact CR was the travel to Edmonton.  I anticipated they would charter in a few days early, when in reality they took multiple flights and only landed very early this morning.  I don’t think we would have had this advantage if the game was in Toronto (ie they would have come earlier and flown direct).

29 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

One element I didn’t expect to impact CR was the travel to Edmonton.  I anticipated they would charter in a few days early, when in reality they took multiple flights and only landed very early this morning.  I don’t think we would have had this advantage if the game was in Toronto (ie they would have come earlier and flown direct).

#Levels

#Details

#EveryAdvantageMatters

35 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Seems weird that they wouldn't meet directly in Edmonton.

Sure most of their squad is domestic based, but it seems kind of stupid to fly in your Euro and US based players all the way to Costa Rica, just to head back up to Edmonton. That's a lot of travel in a few short days.

22 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

https://www.worldfootball.net/referee_summary/ismail-elfath/

Looks like he's not shy on handing out cards. Could be good for us.

El Fath gave out one of the funniest 2nd yellows I've ever seen against Brek Shea when he played for Vancouver in a match against Toronto:

El Fath: <gives yellow to Shea>

Shea: "F*ck you, ref!"

El Fath: <stares angrily at Shea>

Shea: "Yeah, I said it!"

El Fath: <gives 2nd yellow to Shea> 😄

12 hours ago, red card said:

TSN video on the impact of Edmonton's weather. They make it out to be scary.

https://www.tsn.ca/Soccer/video/the-edmonton-advantage~2318965

Counterview is from Sandor's article:

Costa Rican players told their federation’s official website that they don’t expect the weather to be too much of a challenge. Defender Francisco Calvo, who currently plays for MLS side Chicago Fire, and previously played for Minnesota United, said that cold weather will “not be a surprise” to him. Defender Johan Venegas has also played in Minnesota and with the Montreal Impact (now CF Montreal).

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/canada-not-worried-getting-behind-221353809.html

The tsn piece feels a bit more like they're trying to convince us it's an advantage. I'm not sure if it is or not but I'm glad the game is in Edmonton so the fans in Alberta can enjoy. As far the cold weather thing, let's see how the conditions play out but I'm not so convinced it's a big advantage considering our strengths v Costa Rica and Mexico 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere, but is our section standing only? I never saw any mention of it, but these two sections seem to have bleachers and at least one of them looks like it may be O or N. 

image.png.2a5a136151fd9f6444ea5af06938dfc2.png

Unfortunately not, that's a couple sections over.

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere, but is our section standing only? I never saw any mention of it, but these two sections seem to have bleachers and at least one of them looks like it may be O or N. 

image.png.2a5a136151fd9f6444ea5af06938dfc2.png

Those are the “party decks” (FF and NN) which for Elks games are standing general admission with a drink rail. Section NN on the right is two sections over from us in N then O. It’s a bit of a mystery how/if those sections were sold.  

688F4EAC-E4CC-40D2-8DAC-5F1ACD4BED16.jpeg

Edited by chalms04

3 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Chartering is not something that every organization can afford.  True,  it’s a basic given for any professional sports teams in hockey,  bbl, bskbll, football.  

But national football/soccer associations are not large and well endowed entities.  They are basically: Not for profit organizations. They are not at all on the operating level of NA pro teams or some top flight clubs in Europe.  They  have limited resources, staff and there is only so much revenues they can get.   

chartering is expensive and should not be assumed or taken for granted.   I don’t think our national teams uses charters.  Except maybe on rare occasions.  

Edited by Free kick

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Chartering is not something that every organization can afford.  True,  it’s a basic given for any professional sports teams in hockey,  bbl, bskbll, football.  

But national football/soccer associations are not large and well endowed entities.  They are not at all on the operating level of NA pro teams or some top flight clubs in Europe.  They  have limited resources, staff and there is only so much revenues they can get.   

chartering is expensive and should not be assumed or taken for granted.  I don’t think our national teams uses charters.  Except maybe on rare occasions.  

Our national team has chartered to every game in WCQ thus far.