Edmonton Events Info

rob.notenboom

8 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

We won’t have any way of verifying who is a Voyageur and who isn’t. But space will also be limited so please be judicious. 😁

We are still looking into some ‘flex’ areas … outside the venue and possible tailgating. Hopefully get answers soon. 

This will be something to keep an eye on as the events get close.   I suspect I am not alone in taking a few other non-Vs to the game so it may impact my ability to go to pre and post gathering.  Mid week stuff would be different as I would be flying solo but I am the gateway drug into the CMNT for a few people so I wouldn’t want to abandon them before and after the game.  

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

This will be something to keep an eye on as the events get close.   I suspect I am not alone in taking a few other non-Vs to the game so it may impact my ability to go to pre and post gathering.  Mid week stuff would be different as I would be flying solo but I am the gateway drug into the CMNT for a few people so I wouldn’t want to abandon them before and after the game.  

I'm in the exact same boat. Connecting with V's new and old from across the country pre & post match is one of my favorite things about this community but with the matches in my hometown, I'm potentially going to have to sacrifice going to the events to indoctrinate more for the cause, haha. 

17 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Personally recommend parking elsewhere and taking the LRT. 

If you park on the street near Commonwealth after 5:00 (see map in link), you stand an 80% chance of your vehicle being towed. Don't do it.

https://gov.edmonton.ab.ca/sites/default/files/public-files/assets/PDF/CommonwealthStadiumParkingRestrictions.pdf?cb=1636219057

If driving in, Heritage Valley (south) is an option - about 55 min via bus/LRT/walk every 10 min. Better choice for almost everyone driving is Park & Ride: https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/events.

You can park there prior to direct bus service beginning @ 5:30, and take regular transit routes to the pre-game. The Transit app (iOS & Android) will provide options and live info. LRT stops have limited/no free parking, and will be a gong show post-game. Park & Ride is typically less congested post-game, and free to use for the return trip. Remember the name of your parking lot so you can find the right bus back to your car. 🙂

If you must drive to the pre-game, move your vehicle at 5 PM (can try Northlands parking, NAIT is closest Park & Ride) then return to the stadium.

Hopefully all those group sales have a charter bus lined up....

On 11/5/2021 at 9:01 AM, rvmoore95 said:

Any indication on how early we'll need to show up at the stadium to get in for anthems? Wouldn't want a repeat of BMO last month...

I say get there for 6:00 and take the train. Its usually easy for Commonwealth to get people in (they're used to it), but since they have to check for your vaccination now, it takes a little longer. That was my experience when I went to the elks game last month. 

Edit: Also, BAGS ARE NOT ALLOWED! It has to be a clear plastic bag if you want to bring something in. 

Edited by ShaneC06

On 11/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, ShaneC06 said:

I say get there for 6:00 and take the train. Its usually easy for Commonwealth to get people in (they're used to it), but since they have to check for your vaccination now, it takes a little longer. That was my experience when I went to the elks game last month. 

Edit: Also, BAGS ARE NOT ALLOWED! It has to be a clear plastic bag if you want to bring something in. 

I'd respectfully disagree.

Elks: 10,000 - 12,000 attendees last month (very sad), grizzled veterans who know the process, staffing for 25,000.

Canada: 40,000 - 55,000 attendees, people who are new to Commonwealth, who don't know a clear bag from a Coach bag, bringing more supplies than a 98'er going to the Klondike, in the dark trying to read IDs and scan QR codes and smartphone tickets while struggling with gloves.

If staffing is dramatically boosted, Grey Cup levels and more, maybe it will take 30 minutes. If checks are lax (and they probably will be), maybe it will take 45 minutes. But I'd suggest a 6:15 PM arrival won't get in until 7:30. We'll see - with FIFA on-site perhaps things will be well organized. For V's it won't matter if everyone's at the gate by 5:30.

For reference, reports of 30+ minute waits for Canada vs. China in 2015. Oilers game this week w/ ~13,000 people, it was 18 minutes.

Edited by CanadianTraveller

Baring unforseen events, will be at all the listed gigs with the wee elf in tow.  Looks like a lot of people will be coming in on either the 11th or 12th.

I'm assuming there aren't going to be any issue with out of province vac cards?  

12 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Baring unforseen events, will be at all the listed gigs with the wee elf in tow.  Looks like a lot of people will be coming in on either the 11th or 12th.

As far as I know, no. But we will be getting all the stadium info early this week. 

Since I’ve received my vaccine passport, I’ve been in four different provinces and haven’t had an issue with my Sask one anywhere. But we will definitely double check. There are confirmed travelling Vs from 8 provinces coming to Edmonton. 

21 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I know that AB isn’t necessarily in sync with other provinces in terms of having QR code functionality so I plan to have multiple things with me just to make sure:

- QR code VaxPass on my phone

- old non-QR code Vax Pass on phone

- signed vaccination records (pre-VaxPass)  

May be overkill but for the sake of a couple of pieces of paper in my pocket and an extra pic or two on my phone I figure it is worth it   

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know that AB isn’t necessarily in sync with other provinces in terms of having QR code functionality

Yeah, unfortunately our QR reader is only good for AB provided codes. 
I can’t speak to the protocol at a large event like this, but I know local businesses usually just match your name on your proof to your ID without scanning anything. 

FAB82F51-AD64-4D14-BA65-FF8D0FBB8FEC.jpeg

1 hour ago, chalms04 said:

Yeah, unfortunately our QR reader is only good for AB provided codes. 
I can’t speak to the protocol at a large event like this, but I know local businesses usually just match your name on your proof to your ID without scanning anything. 

Reminder that Alberta QR codes aren't required for CR. Alberta QR Code is required for Mexico.

If you're from out-of-province, just tell the checker that your proof is from outside AB, and show them your text (both games). Since the checker is a newbie, a gentle reminder that their scanner only works on AB QR codes (at least until the end of this month) is warranted.

And yes, even those checkers w/ scanners in hand often just read the text...as I witnessed at the Oilers game. Fake proof? Nah, nobody would try that in Alberta.... {Sigh}

Hats off to those that put together the E-town events.  They sound awesome!!

Being close to the stadium and getting there early is key. Maybe a miracle will happen and it will be a slick operation at commonwealth, but based on experiences friends have had going to Oilers games, it could be similar to the BMO Panama match. 

Even more excited to head back to my hometown for these matches and connecting with the growing Voyageur Community. Plus some really solid advice re: logistics for those not familiar with E-town. 

I will definitely be bringing a few like minded soccer locals. 

55 minutes ago, Soldeed said:

What time is last call in Edmonton these days and is the 11th the same as other days? I've looked online and seen some conflicting info. Thanks!

Are you joining us in Edmonton, I assume so by the question being asked?

On 11/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Parking gets very scarce and enforcement is a big deal around big stadium events.  I worked about 5 blocks away during university and our warehouse/store assigned a person to patrol the parking lots around CFL games.  

Just a heads-up.

2F66FB29-A922-4039-B000-5EC3F6CE1A17.jpeg

25 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I think last call is 10pm and everyone out by 11pm. 

But I’m not 100% sure. Looking into it. 

Thanks Rob! A friend in Edmonton thought that maybe there was an earlier closing for November 11th vs the other days but wasn't entirely sure. They thought 10pm for the 11th as well.

29 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I think last call is 10pm and everyone out by 11pm. 

But I’m not 100% sure. Looking into it. 

Newbie to forum but very much looking forward to these 2 games here in Edmonton. Got a large group of 40+ for both games. Unfortunately not in V's sections.

Can't say 100% but if the venue follows Alberta's restrictions exemption program ie vax passport, then they should be allowed last call at 1am, done at 2. I attended a wedding at a local hotel and this was the case there.

45 minutes ago, Dre_03 said:

Newbie to forum but very much looking forward to these 2 games here in Edmonton. Got a large group of 40+ for both games. Unfortunately not in V's sections.

Can't say 100% but if the venue follows Alberta's restrictions exemption program ie vax passport, then they should be allowed last call at 1am, done at 2. I attended a wedding at a local hotel and this was the case there.

Last call in Edmonton is 2 a.m. as long as you participate in the REP