WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be a pretty good scenario. We should be able to beat CR with normal conditions.  Then we would get acclimatized as the weather got cooler.  By the time a chilly Mexican game happened, we would be optimized and they would just be getting used to it.  Sounds like the perfect set up.  

We hope.

I would say cold weather gives a slight edge to players used to playing in cold, and a HUGE advantage to players with healthy muscles vs players with niggling muscle injuries. I don't know whose muscles are healthier between us and our opponents. Generally speaking you would think the younger Canadian squad would have healthier muscles than the aging Costa Rican squad.

2 hours ago, TheDoon said:

I heard in the TFC game that the players should be in Edmonton on Monday. Any ideas where they’re training and if there will be any access to the public?

Looks like Commonwealth itself. In discussing the pros/cons of the turf, Herdman mentioned a plus was being able to train it on for a few days vs only once for grass pitches.

Otherwise, are there decent training grass pitches & facilities in Edmonton. I assume something will be need to build for '26. Oilers are providing some of their facilities to Canada which I assume will happen in '26.

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Agree and I think it’s a bigger blow to them in terms of his presence in the squad. 

Navas left at the half during the US match because of an injury. US scored an own goal by the new keeper that 90% said should have been stopped.

Plus, a couple of commentators mentioned the Costa Rican backline played much more cautiously and with hesitancy in the 2nd half vs with comfort & confidence under Navas in the 1st.

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Man, I know Cav always puts in a hard shift for Canada but he is only put on for the last 3 minutes of the most important game of Vancouver’s season.  Says a lot about where he stands currently at club level.  Curious what kind of a role he plays for us this window.  

Not only that. His only pass was to an offside player (only partly to blame for that, but it wasn’t a pass that needed to be made), sat lazily in the box after a corner was cleared, and later committed a bad foul that very nearly dumped the Caps out of the playoffs. All in the span of 4 minutes. 

7 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I actually don’t understand why Sartini keeps putting Cav out there for the last few minutes of a match. Is it out of obligation? It’s not like he’s shown any value in that role. Better to just keep white on tbh.

He looks so bad he’s either still injured enough that he shouldn’t be playing, or he has completely checked out and wants to leave the Caps. 

Edited by footballfreak

36 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

He looks so bad he’s either still injured enough that he shouldn’t be playing, or he has completely checked out and wants to leave the Caps. 

TBH I think it's a mix of all three

1. He's definitely still hurt

2. he was very poor prior to being injured too though so it's not all the knee issue

3. He's obviously checked out and pissed he's been displaced by a guy like Brian White

I cant imagine there's a chance in hell he's back in Vancouver next year. It will be interesting to see what kind of market there is for him and if he can rejuvenate his career.

Edited by Floortom

I’ve been watching the weather in Cincinnati to see how it will impact the US-Mexico game.  It shows a high of 15 during the day for Friday, but a low of 2 at night, feels like zero.  Quite a change.  I hope it stays warmer so the Mexicans don’t adjust as well for their game against us.  Want them to rack up the yellow cards too