WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

8 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Looking like we're sitting at 1 degree for the match. I really can't wait to hear all the media from CR and Mexico about the temperature. 

I really don't care what they say about the weather. I want to see more reactions of their souls being crushed like the one we got from the Panamanians after Davies' goal.

3 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Have to think Gamboa is a major addition. Limited minutes this year for Bochum, but he’s still a Bundeliga quality right back.

Allan Cruz plays in Cincinnati with Matarrita, who was a mainstay last window (263 minutes, 2 assists, 7.6 avg fotmob rating). I haven’t seen much FCC this year, but I assume familiarity means there’s at least some chemistry between the two.

Aaron Suarez is only 19. No clue. Listed as an attacking midfielder. No senior caps as of yet.

Gerson Torres has 4 caps in 5 years. Listed as a right midfielder but can be used on either side or in the middle according to Transfermarkt. Last played 45 minutes in a 4-0 friendly loss to the US in June.

Jewison Bennette is 17. Left Winger/Striker.  Capped for the first time in an August friendly against El Salvador.

Anthony Contreras is 21. Striker. Uncapped. On loan from Herediano at a smaller CRC league team. 1.80m. 8 goals and 2 assists in 19 games this year.

It’ll be interesting to see how they lineup. I know the manager wasn’t happy with Ugalde’s physicality and replaced him with Moya who is now home as well. 

I'm so excited for Friday.  Jealousy extended to those that attend Friday's key game against Costa Rica.  Do you ever get the feeling John is playing 3D chess with this whole process and we just don't fully comprehend what his entire plan is.  I feel like we will see some changes in January's window with the roster.  Ugbo was a big shock this window.  I can't wait to see him in action. 

I hope it doesn't snow. The risk is a game getting called before you've gotten the result you want. 

It's also better cold but not killer. O degrees is good, because cold is uncomfortable for everyone. It's also a bit of a risk for muscular injuries, and we play two in those conditions. CR and Mexico get to come in and get out. We don't. Don't want this strategy to backfire, it's a bit risky all around. 

I hope the CSA is smart enough to set up some sort of heating for the benches, you can't ask guys to be out warming up all match. Though I do like the idea of rotating warm ups to keep the bench ready. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I hope it doesn't snow. The risk is a game getting called before you've gotten the result you want. 

It's also better cold but not killer. O degrees is good, because cold is uncomfortable for everyone. It's also a bit of a risk for muscular injuries, and we play two in those conditions. CR and Mexico get to come in and get out. We don't. Don't want this strategy to backfire, it's a bit risky all around. 

I hope the CSA is smart enough to set up some sort of heating for the benches, you can't ask guys to be out warming up all match. Though I do like the idea of rotating warm ups to keep the bench ready. 

CR and Mexico get to fly in and flight out? You make it sound like the boys need to sleep outside in between games. They’ll be fine inside their hotel rooms

11 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

CR and Mexico get to fly in and flight out? You make it sound like the boys need to sleep outside in between games. They’ll be fine inside their hotel rooms

I'm just saying: what would you prefer? Playing one game in the freezing cold, or two?

See what I'm getting at?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm just saying: what would you prefer? Playing one game in the freezing cold, or two?

See what I'm getting at?

To be honest - the latter. The fact that we get to practice all week in those conditions, plus play a match - that gives us potentially a big advantage in the Mexico game in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

To be honest - the latter. The fact that we get to practice all week in those conditions, plus play a match - that gives us potentially a big advantage in the Mexico game in my opinion.

I don't know. When I was a kid we played mid-winter at 42 degrees F in the pouring rain, on waterlogged pitches. And did not go into changing rooms at half time because there weren't any. We stood in the rain eating our dumb half oranges. 

And you think if you do that once, you are all ready and prepared to do it again a few days later?

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know. When I was a kid we played mid-winter at 42 degrees F in the pouring rain, on waterlogged pitches. And did not go into changing rooms at half time because there weren't any. We stood in the rain eating our dumb half oranges. 

And you think if you do that once, you are all ready and prepared to do it again a few days later?

Part of me hopes that someone’s mom brings orange slices for the CMNT game. 

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They aren't even calling for rain or snow for Friday now.  You're getting worked up for nothing!

5 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

They aren't even calling for rain or snow for Friday now.  You're getting worked up for nothing!

Lucky us. But seriously, I'm a Canadian living in Spain, what do I know? I abdicated from the "hearty Canadian weather" part of my identity long ago.

And the only time I was in Edmonton was one summer on my way to Lac la Biche for a wedding, and all I remember were how puny Albertan mosquitos were. 

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Based on the current forecast the match v Costa Rica won't be too cold. About as good as you can get in Edmonton in November.

The game v Mexico is now looking to be fairly cold. 

Screenshot_20211107-100151_Weather Network.jpg

That would be a pretty good scenario. We should be able to beat CR with normal conditions.  Then we would get acclimatized as the weather got cooler.  By the time a chilly Mexican game happened, we would be optimized and they would just be getting used to it.  Sounds like the perfect set up.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be a pretty good scenario. We should be able to beat CR with normal conditions.  Then we would get acclimatized as the weather got cooler.  By the time a chilly Mexican game happened, we would be optimized and they would just be getting used to it.  Sounds like the perfect set up.  

Also remember we will have had a ton of time to get used to the playing surface once the Mexico match comes around. That’s another advantage for us. When’s the last time Mexicans would have played a match on turf like that? 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Based on the current forecast the match v Costa Rica won't be too cold. About as good as you can get in Edmonton in November.

The game v Mexico is now looking to be fairly cold. 

Screenshot_20211107-100151_Weather Network.jpg

In country, and went for my walk this morning.

Where I am (southern Alberta) it was 0 but felt like -7 with the wind chill.

I am now a big baby, I admit, when it comes to actually cold weather but it was as cold as I have ever been in England.

If we get -5 to -9 with the winds swirling in Commonwealth it will be plenty cold for the Mexicans (and me).

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford