WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Just because? Millar is on fire right now no way you could justify dropping him for Ennin.

This looks like the best Canadian squad ever.

on fire against lesser opposition. Plus it hasn't ever translated to the CMNT. 
Is it bad that I want to see someone new who's playing at a higher level?

Right now, if Ferdi is still on the fence and Arfield has his thing going on.  This is the best lineup we could have put together.  Although mentioned by someone above, I would have loved to see both Ennin & Mitrovic to round out a 25 man roster.

Cornelius and Kennedy are interchangeable in my opinion.  As is Pantemis and a few other keepers as well.

Edited by Corazon

I don't understand why ZBG is not trusted more. His gaf from GC 2019 is a distant memory and he's been great for Montreal all season, but I guess with Laryea and Johnston both able to play our right, in addition to Buchanan if we opt for wingbacks, I guess it's hard to see where his chances will come from.

I still want to see Waterman, eventually, but it's not an outrage he isn't included. Maybe in Jan...

Also, I am slowly moving into "why are we still calling Cav" territory, but for now my grumbles are at a minimum.

Don't love the small squad, but don't mind it either considering the circumstances.

Excited for Ugbo, just like everyone else. 

7 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

Is it really that much of a higher level?

yes Russian League is a higher level...full stop. 

@Ivan @CanadaFan123 @Floortom
Scoring goals against Cypriot and Kazhakstan or Swiss 5th tier teams doesn't excite me like it does some. Consistently being in the starting XI of a team in the Russian Premier League does.

Just saying his recent performances last window wasn't any better than Bryms, but he's out and Liams still in. 

Edited by Shway

Just now, Shway said:

If Brym missed the sitter that would've gave us the potential win against Jamaica, yall would be crucifying him.....butttttttt I'll say no more. 

He could have done better, but it wasn't a sitter per se. At first I thought so, but watching it on replays it wasnt as bad as I thought. Also, the xG value was "only" 0.3. A very good chance but not a sitter.

It's nice that Enin is playing at a good level but he also has no goals and 2 assists in 800 minutes this year. It's not like he's lighting that league up. I would like to see him called in too but there isnt much room for him - as far as I can tell Millar and Ennin arent really like for like players

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't understand why ZBG is not trusted more. His gaf from GC 2019 is a distant memory and he's been great for Montreal all season, but I guess with Laryea and Johnston both able to play our right, in addition to Buchanan if we opt for wingbacks, I guess it's hard to see where his chances will come from.

I still want to see Waterman, eventually, but it's not an outrage he isn't included. Maybe in Jan...

Also, I am slowly moving into "why are we still calling Cav" territory, but for now my grumbles are at a minimum.

Don't love the small squad, but don't mind it either considering the circumstances.

Excited for Ugbo, just like everyone else. 

I find it hard to be in that camp until he underperforms for Canada. He's been a good soldier for us with an amazing strike rate. He's never fit in with Vancouver's style.

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

@Ivan @CanadaFan123 @Floortom
Scoring goals against Cypriot and Kazhakstan or Swiss 5th tier teams doesn't excite me like it does some. Consistently being in the starting XI of a team in the Russian Premier League does.

Just saying his recent performances last window wasn't any better than Bryms, but he's out and Liams still in. 

What about scoring goals against Zurich? ;)

The RPL, on the whole, is better than the Swiss league but Basel is a better club than Nizhny Novogorad. So it's not that straightforward. Millar has been one of his club's top producers, along with Cabral who was called to Brazil. So that should tell you something. 

23 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Why? Millar is playing great right now and deserves the call

I wouldn’t take too much stock in what he posts about Millar.  He seems on a personal mission to downplay Millar’s achievements as he doesn’t like how well Millar’s dad is received on this forum. 

Edited by Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Just now, Floortom said:

He could have done better, but it wasn't a sitter per se. At first I thought so, but watching it on replays it wasnt as bad as I thought. Also, the xG value was "only" 0.3. A very good chance but not a sitter.

It's nice that Enin is playing at a good level but he also has no goals and 2 assists in 800 minutes this year. It's not like he's lighting that league up. I would like to see him called in too but there isnt much room for him - as far as I can tell Millar and Ennin arent really like for like players

Neither is Millar lighting up the Swiss league with 12app 2g 1a in 597 minutes. 

Ennin is more versatile than Millar, another reason why I would like to see him in the squad over Millar if it means we only have 23 guys. Millar is an out and out wide player. Ennin can play on the wing, attacking mid, and up top/second striker.

All I'm saying is I would like to see someone new at the expense of a fringe player.

Good line-up.

I agree that the Cavallini inclusion is odd, as he is not in form. Sometimes I wonder, though, if Herdman thinks that Cav still has a reputation in Mexico, in Spanish-speaking nations, and if he puts him on late he'll get attention and they'll respect him. Also that he can do some hold up and get into it with the rival CBs. And having Spanish speakers sometimes helps, IMO. 

I also would have liked to see Ennin, but I think with Ugbo here, you have to let him take that sub attacking role. 

A small roster has the advantage of making everyone feel they could get minutes, except of course 3rd keeper. That gives you a tighter group and makes training more intense as well. If we get cards this round I could see more coming in for January, also in hope of a camp in Florida or similar.

Another advantage: less guys freezing their butts off on the bench wondering why the hell am I here.

My observation of Cavallini with Vancouver isn't really that he underperformed. The last couple years has been so stop start for him for various reasons and during the last injury White stepped in and did well and the Caps have just kept that consistent lineup rolling. I think Cavallini brings a different dynamic to Canada that no other forwards offer

Edited by SpursFlu

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Neither is Millar lighting up the Swiss league with 12app 2g 1a in 597 minutes. 

Ennin is more versatile than Millar, another reason why I would like to see him in the squad over Millar if it means we only have 23 guys. Millar is an out and out wide player. Ennin can play on the wing, attacking mid, and up top/second striker.

All I'm saying is I would like to see someone new at the expense of a fringe player.

you got that. Brym for Ugbo

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

Scoring goals against Cypriot and Kazhakstan or Swiss 5th tier teams doesn't excite me like it does some.  
Consistently being in the starting XI of the Russian Premier League does.

It’s a debatable point.  He’s playing for a top team in the Swiss league and scoring in Europa League.  I would take that over a lower team in the Russian Premier league.  It’s not like Ennin is starting for CSKA.

Just now, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I wouldn’t take too much stock in what he posts about Millar.  He seems on a personal mission to downplay Millar’s achievements as he doesn’t like how well Millar’s dad in received on this forum. 

Not that....I've been preaching the same thing in terms of what is the barometer to make it into the CMNT. If you think guys aren't looking at the team, and say "im not in over this guy" you're oblivious. I just do it from a fans perspective.

Some of you are inconsistent with your criticism, solely because his dad comes solely to that specific thread. But are quick to have a stronger opinion of some because theirs aren't on this forum.

Seen it in the Halbouini thread....We've seen it in the Godinho thread. 
Just be consistent with your evaluations and critiquing...regardless of who's watching. I know I will.