WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

9 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I don't know if it has been mentioned,but it looks like both games will be on Sportsnets main channels. Which is huge for their exposure.

Though, in the home province of the match, their main channel SNW will join in progress around halftime after Flames vs Leafs is done.

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

The buzz really is building in Edmonton, Phonzie had a media availability yesterday, John had his today with the roster announcement. The media coverage is building, it can only help get these two games towards a sellout and I am sure their home town son has landed the interest will only explode. Man Phonzie is something special. Can't wait !!

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer/van-diest-alphonso-davies-looking-forward-to-edmonton-homecoming/wcm/30f2f2af-9c4d-4606-b9aa-56b33d19c537

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/canada-gets-reinforcements-for-crucial-world-cup-qualifying-games-in-edmonton-1.5654351

This

There was a bit on CBC The National last night.  By next week it's going to be crazy!

Remember a few years ago when after a roster release we had to rationalize why it was good that some players that deserved to be named aren't going to camp because they can hang out with their club teammates, etc. Now we are lamenting not having our 24th, 25th, and 26th best players involved.

This is a great roster, and 1 week from this moment it will be halftime against Costa Rica. I can't wait for these games!

Re: 23 man roster... I think JH must subscribe to the believe that idle hands do the devil's work. He's got his core group at this point and a hand full of players who rotate in and out, but if he doesn't figure a player is likely to see the pitch he'd rather keep the squad small and tight.

Edited by A_Gagne

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think having to play Brym twice while other, better options are at home playing with their "idle hands" isnt a good option either.  I really dont get how 2 more guys would make the squad bloated and somehow distracted.  One more hotel room!!  

Brym actually played all 3 matches. It’s clear Herdman rated him, or at least wanted to give him the shot, as our best option at that time.  I don’t get it but it is what it is.

52 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Brym actually played all 3 matches. It’s clear Herdman rated him, or at least wanted to give him the shot, as our best option at that time.  I don’t get it but it is what it is.

I thought Brym did ok in his 3 late appearances, it's not like he was terrible and many base their opinion on him from a rather disappointing Olympic Qualifying tournament where we expected much more!

51 minutes ago, gator said:

I thought Brym did ok in his 3 late appearances, it's not like he was terrible and many base their opinion on him from a rather disappointing Olympic Qualifying tournament where we expected much more!

Although I'm not a Brym fan he did keep possession well under pressure when he came on in his sub minutes. He is decent on the ball and won a number of fouls v Panama to help kill the clock. The knock against him is his work rate and hustle. If he can improve on that he could turn out to be a decent player

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Herdman rates him for sure.  He mentioned in the press conference yesterday that he is not in the squad because he’s injured (in the same breath as mentioning Hoilett and Kennedy)

3 hours ago, king1010 said:

Costa Rica roster. 

Looking at October, the changes are:

Out: Giancarlo Gonzalez (Alajuelense), Jimmy Marín (Saprissa), Luis Diaz (Columbus), Jonathan Moya (FC Anyang), Kenneth Vargas (Municipal Grecia)

In: Christian Gamboa (Bochum), Allan Cruz (Cincinnati), Aaron Suarez (Alajuelense), Gerson Torres (Herediano), Jewison Bennette (Herediano), Anthony Contreras (AD Guanacasteca)

Anyone in there we should look out for besides Gamboa and Cruz?

6 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Looking at October, the changes are:

Out: Giancarlo Gonzalez (Alajuelense), Jimmy Marín (Saprissa), Luis Diaz (Columbus), Jonathan Moya (FC Anyang), Kenneth Vargas (Municipal Grecia)

In: Christian Gamboa (Bochum), Allan Cruz (Cincinnati), Aaron Suarez (Alajuelense), Gerson Torres (Herediano), Jewison Bennette (Herediano), Anthony Contreras (AD Guanacasteca)

Anyone in there we should look out for besides Gamboa and Cruz?

That's a crazy amount of turnover after just a month.

42 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

That's a crazy amount of turnover after just a month.

Mostly on the fringes.

Last window minutes: Moya (140), Marín (45), Diaz (45), Gonzalez (0), K. Vargas (0)

Moya started two of the three games up top but didn’t offer much apparently. Subbed off at half in Honduras, 28 mins as a sub against El Salvador, and then 67 minutes agains the US.

Marín started 2/3 games in September and scored against Jamaica before falling out of favour I guess. Only 45 minutes in October and out of the squad for November. 

Diaz looks to have had a half decent gold cup and came in at half against Canada. No more call-ups until October, where he played the second half against Honduras.

Gonzalez started 2/3 Gold Cup group stage games, but since then has only been on the bench for one game in September.

12 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Is it good, bad or not a factor?

Have to think Gamboa is a major addition. Limited minutes this year for Bochum, but he’s still a Bundeliga quality right back.

Allan Cruz plays in Cincinnati with Matarrita, who was a mainstay last window (263 minutes, 2 assists, 7.6 avg fotmob rating). I haven’t seen much FCC this year, but I assume familiarity means there’s at least some chemistry between the two.

Aaron Suarez is only 19. No clue. Listed as an attacking midfielder. No senior caps as of yet.

Gerson Torres has 4 caps in 5 years. Listed as a right midfielder but can be used on either side or in the middle according to Transfermarkt. Last played 45 minutes in a 4-0 friendly loss to the US in June.

Jewison Bennette is 17. Left Winger/Striker.  Capped for the first time in an August friendly against El Salvador.

Anthony Contreras is 21. Striker. Uncapped. On loan from Herediano at a smaller CRC league team. 1.80m. 8 goals and 2 assists in 19 games this year.