Attending November Window in Edmonton

Club Linesman

1 hour ago, Nate3322 said:

I'm really tempted to make the trip though its a shame covid is so bad there right now.

Covid factored into my decision as well, I have been cautious when attending Forge and Canada matches and I am fully vaxxed, I will definitely be rocking an N95 when on the plane and uncontrolled indoor settings!

I got a flight today into Calgary the Friday morning, return for $235 from Ottawa direct, with rental car, all under $400 via Expedia.  It was cheaper for all that than flights in and out of Edmonton alone.  I have family in Calgary and one of my good buddy’s lives in Red Deer where I’m crashing, so it will be great to see some people I haven’t seen during this stupid pandemic.  I have friends I’m meeting in Edmonton for the game too.  Flying out Monday morning. Can’t stay for the Tuesday game unfortunately.

Obviously the weather is the big factor here.  I want it to be chilly, but not nasty cold either.  We all know once the calendar hits November in this country (minus the wusses in Vancouver and surrounding area) all bets are off with the cold.  It could be 5-6-7 degrees or it could be -25 with the wind chill.  If I had my way, temperature around zero would be good.  It would be cold for us, but Costa Rica and Mexico would be dying.  Fuck’em is what I say!!

Wow, a lot happened on here while I was away. 🤣

Great to see so many people interested in coming out west.

A couple things …

Downtown is likely a better option for hotels as you can get to the stadium using the LRT. 

Just be aware that the airport in Edmonton isn’t actually in Edmonton, it’s way out in Nisku/Leduc. I *think* there’s a shuttle service, but I’d look into it. (I’ll likely be there with a vehicle, so for people who are really desperate I may be able to offer rides).

If you’re curious about inexpensive places to stay, I might poll some of my Edmonton friends and collect a few recommendations.

If you’re travelling in, it would be great to know who you are, be able to connect with you, and be able to connect you with other Voyageurs. Sometimes it can be an awkward experience going on an ‘away-home’ trip, but it can be much more fun when you get to know some locals or others who have travelled in. 

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Any Edmonton V’s have recommendations about how to get from the airport to the downtown hotel?!  The info I found on a taxi indicates it’s about $100 - is that the actual cost? Any info greatly appreciated.

The taxi there and back will be more than the plane ticket so we should set up a car/taxi pool.

4 hours ago, gator said:

I am leaving out of The Hammer Thursday night then returning Saturday afternoon to Toronto, there was no way I would make a 7am flight which would mean getting up at 4am! I'm looking forward to this and a big thanks to @Club Linesman for initiating things! Can't wait to get together with Western V's closer to their house!👍

Waking up at 4am? I was thinking get a few pints at the pub to celebrate after the match then wait in the airport for the flight home. This is what a lot of european fans do during Champions league. I believe this trip can be easily done for under $400(including: Flights, Taxi, Hotel, Ticket, Food and some brews!).

So there’s an express shuttle from EIA to Century Park transit station. You can get the LRT from there to downtown. 

https://flyeia.com/parking-transportation/buses-shuttles/

Just keep in mind that, as much as Toronto folks complain about transit, getting around Toronto by transit is much more convenient (in most circumstances at least) than getting around any prairie city. It’s still doable though. I’ve found the LRT in Edmonton quite useful and there’s a stop very close to Commonwealth. 

Just now, Club Linesman said:

I read that a taxi from the airport is a flat rate of $60. Better than $100 but if any V’s are swinging by the airport Thursday and feel like picking up a fan from the airport, the first drinks will be on me😜.

I ended up doing this a few times for WWC. 

But also check the shuttle info I posted above. 

As the game gets closer i will be happy to provide some thoughts re bars restaurants etc, stay downtown for sure its not that exciting but its not expensive there some decent places and is is 10 minutes on train right to stadium. The Westin the Courtyard Marriot and the Delta and the Sandman formerly Sutton Place are most central. The nicest would be the new  JW Marriott attached to arena its the fanciest place  in town and the price on November 12 is $246

1 hour ago, Tyson M said:

The taxi there and back will be more than the plane ticket so we should set up a car/taxi pool.

Waking up at 4am? I was thinking get a few pints at the pub to celebrate after the match then wait in the airport for the flight home. This is what a lot of european fans do during Champions league. I believe this trip can be easily done for under $400(including: Flights, Taxi, Hotel, Ticket, Food and some brews!).

That makes sense but I am too old to be sleeping in airports waiting for an early morning flight after a huge match and celebration with fellow V's late into the night, I have added an extra hour and a half of travel just to try to get a bit of sleep, hopefully @Club Linesman doesn't snore too loud or fill our room with unwanted guests!🤪

This could be a good time and all things considered it is inexpensive.

I'm in Ontario but have been to Edmonton a lot. I actually love the scene on Whyte Ave (in Strathcona by the university) as much or more than downtown. A lot of really fun bars.

One thing to keep in mind - it can be pretty damned cold in Edmonton in mid-November so come prepared (like minus 20 is a remote but very real possibility). 

Also - do we for sure know that Edmonton is hosting? 

I've been to the first 2 games in TO and will be going to the Panama game as well. If I did decide to go to Edmonton I'd possibly be traveling alone and would love to link up with other V's.

I once paid for a cab from YEG in Leduc into Edmonton proper with the $20 remaining in my wallet and the remaining 3-cans in a 6-pack of Lucky. This was all negotiated before the ride - no meter. Needless to say I was dirt poor (returning from a summer of tree planting and we were yet to get paid out from our contract).

The Muslim cabbie somehow found God half way between Leduc and Edmonton and didn't want to accept the beer as a form of payment. When we arrived downtown he refused to give me my hockey bag full of planting gear/clothes, which was in the trunk of his Crown Vic. I don't recall exactly what was said to get him to give up the bag, but I know that it took a little bit of bullshitting back and forth.

So yes, the airport is not near Edmonton. Plan accordingly. 

Edited by Varsity Tyler

4 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

I once paid for a cab from YEG in Leduc into Edmonton proper with the $20 remaining in my wallet and the remaining 3-cans in a 6-pack of Lucky. This was all negotiated before the ride - no meter. Needless to say I was dirt poor (returning from a summer of tree planting and we were yet to get paid out from our contract).

The Muslim cabbie somehow found God half way between Leduc and Edmonton and didn't want to accept the beer as a form of payment. When we arrived downtown he refused to give me my hockey bag full of planting gear/clothes, which was in the trunk of his Crown Vic. I don't recall exactly what was said to get him to give up the bag, but I know that it took a little bit of bullshitting back and forth.

So yes, the airport is not near Edmonton. Plan accordingly. 

Well I have to ask … who did you plant for and where (and when)?

I went to edmonton for that Can-Hon WCQ match that Benito Archundia ruined for us.   Yes, the airport is far out of town in Leduc.  And its one of the biggest incoveniences.  I ended up renting a car (at the airport) as a result and hence had a car for the duration of the stay.  I found it made more sence than it would have commuting to and from the airport and having to pay the commuting costs.

Edited by Free kick

52 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Well I have to ask … who did you plant for and where (and when)?

2 years. Would have been 2005, 2006ish.

Once out west with Coast Range -- Williams Lake, Bella Coola, Alexis Creek/Chilkoten, Ft McMurray chopper shows
Once in Ontario with Outland -- Spanish Forest, Gogama. Days off in Timmins. 

10 hours ago, Varsity Tyler said:

2 years. Would have been 2005, 2006ish.

Once out west with Coast Range -- Williams Lake, Bella Coola, Alexis Creek/Chilkoten, Ft McMurray chopper shows
Once in Ontario with Outland -- Spanish Forest, Gogama. Days off in Timmins. 

Ah well you lasted a lot longer than I did in the early 90s. 🤣

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

There is a lot of interest from people in Calgary in making the trip. I will be making the drive up from Calgary for the November 12 game. 

Question 1:   Are there inter city buses from Cal to Edm?   And vice versa?  I was looking for that but i am not sure i found the site that had everything and allowed me to compare

Question 2: is there snow in Canmore in mid November?

Edited by Free kick