2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

9 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Are they duals or kids who moved ?

Di Ponzio I do not have an official source on where his eligibility comes from but on a recruitment site he lists his nationality as Canadian. I’d imagine he has a Canadian parent but grew up in the US. Leatherman’s mother is Canadian as per Canucks Abroad website, Crawford is from Canada, not sure when he moved to the states for soccer. Crawford was originally committed to MSU. Bunbury’s eligibility is still murky waters but I think his mom has a Canadian passport (he grew up in Minnesota). This Fung kid I have no clue who he is to be honest and assuming his eligibility is through a parent. 

Found this on FB:  

Congratulations to all the talented young players who justifiably made the final roster for the Canadian U20 National team. Mataeo unfortunately didn’t make it to the final roster due to him not getting his citizenship which is still pending. It’s a process that normally takes 12 months and we started the application towards the end of April. Mataeo is naturally disappointed especially with the current form he’s in being on the short list for player of the month of May with 3 goals and an assist( MLS next pro)all tying, winning goals and a winning assist to help his team go undefeated in four consecutive games! We hope to have his citizenship and passport sometime this month! Here’s to a winning 

Excellent news! 

MLS Pro might be coming up trumps for us this year. JRR and Farsi look like they have a great chance of moving up. Mataeo is hugely promising! Love the multiple pathways our players are finally getting access too (even with MLS "international" limitations). We are currently having our cake and eating it very nicely. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Excellent news! 

MLS Pro might be coming up trumps for us this year. JRR and Farsi look like they have a great chance of moving up. Mataeo is hugely promising! Love the multiple pathways our players are finally getting access too (even with MLS "international" limitations). We are currently having our cake and eating it very nicely. 

Right now, MLS NEXT PRO, is the only North American soccer league that I closely follow.  And with Today's news of the MLS/Apple TV deal, I am really excited!  Mods, can we get a MLS NEXT PRO thread going?

I don't know why, I'm not too excited by our chances this tournament. Lots of unknowns, players becoming a real part of the program for the first time (one camp is better than zero but I don't think enough to teach much). Not sure if it's actually the case but the Central American countries usually seem to be more cohesive at these age groups?

That being said, we should have a real chance at qualifying for the u20 WC. And besides, for me the most important thing at this level is getting these players acclimated into our set up (permanently!) so seeing new faces should in fact be the goal. Results are nice but secondary for me.

Word from camp is that the staff is solely focused on the US match and is taking a very defensive approach with lineups/formations...  Reminds me of the disaster class from Olivieri during the last U17 World Cup qualifying against USA and in the World Cup against Brazil.  

The US isn't even a full strength team, that should give the staff confidence to go at them and attack with some of the quality we have.  

10 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Word from camp is that the staff is solely focused on the US match and is taking a very defensive approach with lineups/formations...  Reminds me of the disaster class from Olivieri during the last U17 World Cup qualifying against USA and in the World Cup against Brazil.  

The US isn't even a full strength team, that should give the staff confidence to go at them and attack with some of the quality we have.  

Not only is it not a full strength US team, it's pretty easily the weakest US team at this tournament in a decade.

13 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

I can't believe that One Soccer would not buy the rights to these matches for their Canadian fan base! Why do we pay so much money for this service again???

One Soccer already confirmed Canada's matches will be free on their YouTube channel. 

You can watch the other matches on Concacaf's YouTube 

1 hour ago, hodgkiss said:

I can't believe that One Soccer would not buy the rights to these matches for their Canadian fan base! Why do we pay so much money for this service again???

It costs less than a beer at a pub, can't really complain too much.  I understand it all adds up at the end of the month, but i'd still rather support this than cable.

I paid for One Soccer for the year. Once I locked in for the year, I got Fubo for the year as well - which also has One Soccer content (which I didn't know until after I had purchased). During qualification, they sold the rights to Sportsnet (which I also have (in my cable package) so I could essentially watch Canada on 3 different broadcasts. And now, they are putting content for free on youtube... I honestly don't get why I was led to believe that content like this was ONLY available on One Soccer. I will be cancelling because of the duplication of content - total crap! 

18 hours ago, JamesF said:

could be wrong but is there no Justin smith or Loïc Cloutier in team photo

abatneh costa wright knight-lebel bontis Alexander de rosario alphonse poku pearlman assi

zouhir campagna mbongue Tavares habibullah catavolo Henry pellegrino franklin coimbra white Ferdinand

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 4.50.14 PM.png

Looks like both are listed on the official 20 man list. From narduch's link-

CANADA:

1- GK- Ben Alexander | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
2- FB- Noah Abatneh | ITA / SS Lazio Rome
3- FB- Kwasi Poku | CAN / Forge FC Hamilton
4- CB- Justin Smith | FRA / OGC Nice
5- CB- Jamie Knight-Lebel | ENG / Bristol City FC
6- CB- Matteo Campagna | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
7- W- Jean-Aniel Assi | CAN / Cavalry FC
8- M- Rida Zouhir | CAN / CF Montréal
9- F- Lowell Wright | CAN / York United FC
10- M- Matt Catavolo | CAN / Valour FC
11- F- Kamron Habibullah | CAN / Pacific FC
12- CB- Loïc Cloutier | CAN / Académie de CF Montréal
13- FB- Kobe Franklin | CAN / Toronto FC II
14- M- Gabriel Pellegrino | GER / SC Freiburg
15- FB- Keesean Ferdinand | CAN / CF Montréal
16- M- Maël Henry | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
17- M- Jesse Costa | GER / VfL Wolfsburg
18- GK- Dino Bontis | CAN / Forge FC Hamilton
19- F- Tiago Coimbra | BRA / SE Palmeiras
20- F- Hugo Mbongue Mbongue | CAN / Toronto FC II

TRAINING PLAYERS:
GK- Adisa De Rosario | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
CB- Jefferson Alphonse | CAN / CF Montréal
CB- Adam Pearlman | CAN / Toronto FC
FB- Eric White | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
M- Hugo Tavares | POR / FC Paços de Ferreira

Photo is blurry so not sure. Smith could be top row, 4th from the left? 

Edited by canuckgbp

9 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

I paid for One Soccer for the year. Once I locked in for the year, I got Fubo for the year as well - which also has One Soccer content (which I didn't know until after I had purchased). During qualification, they sold the rights to Sportsnet (which I also have (in my cable package) so I could essentially watch Canada on 3 different broadcasts. And now, they are putting content for free on youtube... I honestly don't get why I was led to believe that content like this was ONLY available on One Soccer. I will be cancelling because of the duplication of content - total crap! 

Are you complaining that there are too many ways to watch Canada matches now?

(They are prioritizing the CPL over the U-20s, on Saturday at least, which they probably are required to do.)