2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

Intercity

Thanks. Well that is an interesting project. We heard recently that Manrejar James was training with them after leaving Ukraine, as I think his agent is from that region (Valencia region, city of Alicante). 

Intercity just promoted to Spanish third tier, winning their group. They trade on the stock market in Spain, they may be an up and coming club if they can keep promoting into higher pro divisions.

Looked and both those CR kids are just that, roster filler and not getting much minutes yet.

19 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

How good is Mexico’s team ? The us does look strong, but I think we can win this.

I wouldn't sleep on them. Fingers crossed we should be good for the semis but then it's likely the usual spot of having to beat either Mexico or the states to make the final and earn that Olympic spot. Tall task. Much like last Olympic qualifiers it's a bit of a what if.. 

What if we had our strongest u20 roster..

What if those given the chance will step up, gel and over perform..

Hopefully we don't need to the think about the first and the second happens. Our Olympic u23 team could be immense.

22 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

How good is Mexico’s team ? The us does look strong, but I think we can win this.

I would imagine Mexico is strong, as usual.  They and the US have a lot more depth playing at a higher level than we have, despite this maybe being our strongest, deepest team in years if not ever.

Still, I think missing Goodman/Anchor, Jebbison, Dias, Thompson and JMR will be too much to overcome.

Hope i'm wrong though.  Looking forward to watching some of these players for the first time to see what's coming. Costa probably the guy I'm looking forward to seeing the most.

Just now, Ivan said:

I would imagine Mexico is strong, as usual.  They and the US have a lot more depth playing at a higher level than we have, despite this maybe being our strongest, deepest team in years if not ever.

Still, I think missing Goodman/Anchor, Jebbison, Dias, Thompson and JMR will be too much to overcome.

Hope i'm wrong though.  Looking forward to watching some of these players for the first time to see what's coming. Costa probably the guy I'm looking forward to seeing the most.

I think we have a good shot at making the FIFA U-20 World Cup. There are 4 spots up for grab for that.

Based on my quick review of the bracket we will need to beat a Central American side (or possible Jamaica) to earn it in the quarter finals.

Getting the Olympic spot (only 2 make it) will be tougher.

I was just looking at the bracket. Apologies if this was mentioned long ago, but I don't remember this detail. The teams that finish first and second in a given group will meet up in the semi-finals if they win their knockout games. So the teams that finish 1st and 2nd in a group (say hypothetically, Canada and USA) cannot both qualify for the Olympics.

This is a stupid way to set up the tournament. You have to allow for the possibility that you could theoretically have the 2 best teams in the whole competition drawn against each other in the same group. So if they are to meet a second time, it should be in the final. But the way it is set up, teams that finish 1st and 2nd in a group would play again in the semi final instead. The 3rd place finisher in the group crosses over to the other half of the bracket. So if USA and Mexico both finish top 2 in their groups, we would be on a path to play the USA in the semi final if we finish 1st or 2nd, or on a path to play Mexico in the semi final if we finish 3rd.

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was just looking at the bracket. Apologies if this was mentioned long ago, but I don't remember this detail. The teams that finish first and second in a given group will meet up in the semi-finals if they win their knockout games. So the teams that finish 1st and 2nd in a group (say hypothetically, Canada and USA) cannot both qualify for the Olympics.

This is a stupid way to set up the tournament. You have to allow for the possibility that you could theoretically have the 2 best teams in the whole competition drawn against each other in the same group. So if they are to meet a second time, it should be in the final. But the way it is set up, teams that finish 1st and 2nd in a group would play again in the semi final instead. The 3rd place finisher in the group crosses over to the other half of the bracket. So if USA and Mexico both finish top 2 in their groups, we would be on a path to play the USA in the semi final if we finish 1st or 2nd, or on a path to play Mexico in the semi final if we finish 3rd.

Yep, almost as though it was designed to keep status quo. Unthinkable :)

3 minutes ago, El Diego said:

The u20 Campagna?

Who knows but it is interesting to see these kids popping up in American MLS academies. Di Ponzio at NYCFC, Leatherman with Minnesota, Crawford with Columbus, Bunbury with Kansas City and now this kid with Inter Miami. Although I think Crawford is the only one who actually has lived in Canada. 

Edited by Atlantic

15 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Who knows but it is interesting to see these kids popping up in American MLS academies. Di Ponzio at NYCFC, Leatherman with Minnesota, Crawford with Columbus, Bunbury with Kansas City and now this kid with Inter Miami. Although I think Crawford is the only one who actually has lived in Canada. 

There’s another in the Miami academy I believe, but younger I think.

16 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Are they duals or kids who moved ?