2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So those in the know: is this our best possible team? Who on the list of 60 who is not here, could clearly displace which players in which positions that are here?

I am seriously asking, I have no basis to know if we are going with a strong group or not.

We would need JMR, Kosi, Koleosho and Lucas Dias to make this our best possible team. I’m probably missing a few more key players tbh 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So those in the know: is this our best possible team? Who on the list of 60 who is not here, could clearly displace which players in which positions that are here?

I am seriously asking, I have no basis to know if we are going with a strong group or not.

With guys who you know-know are part of Canada soccer program….

JMR,  and Thompson are easy picks.
Jules Anthony Visslaint, and Paul Amedume  who from what I’ve seen at North Texas is very promising.

He probably would’ve made the squad if he stayed with Pacific. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Paul Amedume  who from what I’ve seen at North Texas is very promising.

He probably would’ve made the squad if he stayed with Pacific. 

Maybe but I don’t know how much playing time he’d be getting this season with Pacific. It sounds like he’s doing quite well, but it’s still a difficult position to break into as a young player with little pro experience 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

He didn't in the last u20 camp did he? They played him at CB for at least one of the games.

He was brought in as a bench cover for the first team at Nice as a CB. For the first part of the season, they listed him as a defender. 

Then, second part of the season, where he went less to 1st team call-ups, seems he did play more DM.

I think they see him as a CB but don't have a spot for him as a CB at Nice so they started tailoring him as a DM. 

Either way, I'd love to see him play and if he's understudying as CB for Todibo at Nice, well nice.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

I’m also going to go out on a whim and say this might be our likely starting XI:

image.thumb.png.0b4ef856fea0917243029edecbc55b80.png

Camapgna and Smith will both be starters, one of which at CDM and the other at CB.  My guess is Camapgna at CB and Smith at CDM.  Costa played on the wing's in the costa rica camp I believe and doubt he starts.

Isn't Poku a LB/LWB?  

7 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Camapgna and Smith will both be starters, one of which at CDM and the other at CB.  My guess is Camapgna at CB and Smith at CDM.  Costa played on the wing's in the costa rica camp I believe and doubt he starts.

Isn't Poku a LB/LWB?  

Insider information, as none of that was available.

Poku is plays RB, but is more of a midfielder. (Kosi Thompson like in which he’s capable of playing multiple postions)

38 minutes ago, Shway said:

Stand corrected. I don't know why I thought I seen him at RB.

I was exactly the same. Was convinced he was a RB and had a double take reading the northern tribune article talking about him as midfielder that has played at left back. No idea why I got muddled! 

He has stood out a few times watching Forge too, concacaf included! My mind is mush.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He was brought in as a bench cover for the first team at Nice as a CB. For the first part of the season, they listed him as a defender. 

Then, second part of the season, where he went less to 1st team call-ups, seems he did play more DM.

I think they see him as a CB but don't have a spot for him as a CB at Nice so they started tailoring him as a DM. 

Either way, I'd love to see him play and if he's understudying as CB for Todibo at Nice, well nice.

Yeah I got the impression his preferred position is DM but so was Alistair Johnstons. Not sure on his pace, if it is lacking for a top level they normally get pushed back further to CB!

Does anyone know anything about the other teams? US and Mexico have quite a few guys with pro experience. After that I have no idea.

I can't find Panamas squad, but more than likely we play a quarterfinals game against the winner of group H which consists of Jamaica, Honduras and Costa Rica

Jamaica has a couple guys in Chelsea and Wolves academy, but also a guy from Sheridan college.

Honduras senior team is mostly domestic so I imagine this team is as well. They are playing at home, I expect they are trained from a young age to be dirtbags, so hopefully we avoid them.

I wish we had a better idea how the friendlies against Costa Rica went.. they have a mostly domestic squad plus 2 NCAA players and 2 playing for some team I never heard of in 3rd division Spain.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Does anyone know anything about the other teams? US and Mexico have quite a few guys with pro experience. After that I have no idea.

I can't find Panamas squad, but more than likely we play a quarterfinals game against the winner of group H which consists of Jamaica, Honduras and Costa Rica

Jamaica has a couple guys in Chelsea and Wolves academy, but also a guy from Sheridan college.

Honduras senior team is mostly domestic so I imagine this team is as well. They are playing at home, I expect they are trained from a young age to be dirtbags, so hopefully we avoid them.

I wish we had a better idea how the friendlies against Costa Rica went.. they have a mostly domestic squad plus 2 NCAA players and 2 playing for some team I never heard of in 3rd division Spain.

I think the USA will easily beat us. They have a fair number of MLS players getting regular playing time. They have more depth. They also have more older players closer to the age cutoff than we do.

Their huge depth advantage really helps them at the youth national team level.

1 minute ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I think the USA will easily beat us. They have a fair number of MLS players getting regular playing time. They have more depth. They also have more older players closer to the age cutoff than we do.

Their huge depth advantage really helps them at the youth national team level.

So hoping we advance and get Mexico in the semis?

Are the brackets already set for advancing past the group stage?