2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

You seem pretty "plugged in" @Footyeh so who am I to argue, but I'm surprised you're not including Goodman, Abatneh, Pellegrino, Dias (assuming he wants to play).  And isn't Ben Alexander ahead of Max Anchor in the Whitecaps depth chart?

I've been told Goodman doesn't have his paperwork sorted.  He's obviously a good player to be at Palace, but I think people here from some reason want to believe he's a top prospect who's on a path to 1st team.  Too much of what people go by on here is just hearsay.  He's a 2003 (U19) playing down with the U18's, in fact Palace has a 2004 GK Joe Whitworth already signed and playing every match as the starter in Owen's actual age group (the U23's/PL2).  

Admittedly, I left Pellegrino off by accident, I think he'll be there.

Abatneh is one I think might not make it because of Ferdinand likely coming back into the fold and Crawford being one of the better performers last camp.  

And no, Anchor is rated higher than Alexander.  

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

I've been told Goodman doesn't have his paperwork sorted.  He's obviously a good player to be at Palace, but I think people here from some reason want to believe he's a top prospect who's on a path to 1st team.  Too much of what people go by on here is just hearsay.  He's a 2003 (U19) playing down with the U18's, in fact Palace has a 2004 GK Joe Whitworth already signed and playing every match as the starter in Owen's actual age group (the U23's/PL2).  

Admittedly, I left Pellegrino off by accident, I think he'll be there.

Abatneh is one I think might not make it because of Ferdinand likely coming back into the fold and Crawford being one of the better performers last camp.  

And no, Anchor is rated higher than Alexander.  

What about Dias ?

On 5/20/2022 at 11:25 AM, Footyeh said:

I don't think we will get any nice surprises for the qualifying, most of the roster will come from that sole camp.  If I had to take a stab at the roster:

GK: Max Anchor, Dino Bontis

FB: Tyler Crawford, Keesan Ferdinand, Kosi Thompson

CB: Jefferson Alphonse, Mateo Campagna, Loic Cloutier, Jaimie Knight-Lebel

CM: Justin Smith, Mael Henry, Matt Catavolo, Rida Zouhir, Jay Herdman

FW: Kamron Habibullah, Jean Aniel-Assi, Jakeele Marshall-Rutty, Luca Koleosho, Lowell Wright, Mataeo Bunbury

I doubt JMR makes it. He has yet to hit the pitch with TFC after his surgery. There's no way he'll be ready for the qualifyers with the U20 NT.

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I doubt JMR makes it. He has yet to hit the pitch with TFC after his surgery. There's no way he'll be ready for the qualifyers with the U20 NT.

He was back on the pitch with TFC this week.  I don't think he was involved in full training, but on the pitch none the less and doing some activity.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:17 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's fair, I admit I wasn't rating the u-20s getting MLS minutes.

If he's playing B team next year in Spain third tier, that is good,  and more so since Spain 3rd is much stronger now, but not at the MLS level, you are right.

I guess my insistence was overstated, but I still think he could get Espanyol minutes next season, because they constantly bring up youth to the first team. And some of the first to appear are the tricky attackers, like Melamed this season and Puado and Melendo in previous, oddly enough.

Luca called up to the 1st team for the last game of the year, vs Granada. That was fast. 

On 5/20/2022 at 5:17 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's fair, I admit I wasn't rating the u-20s getting MLS minutes.

If he's playing B team next year in Spain third tier, that is good,  and more so since Spain 3rd is much stronger now, but not at the MLS level, you are right.

I guess my insistence was overstated, but I still think he could get Espanyol minutes next season, because they constantly bring up youth to the first team. And some of the first to appear are the tricky attackers, like Melamed this season and Puado and Melendo in previous, oddly enough.

So @Footyehpushed me to a more cautious view, rightly, and look what happened : called up to the 1st team and plays final minutes.

The only Canadians getting minutes in top 5 leagues this season: Davies, David, Ugbo, Luca. 

So there you, are, my instincts were right only because I know Espanyol. But how about that for events moving quickly?

As I said earlier, I honestly think we should call him into the 1st team for this camp. The US can't, as they've released the group, we still can. Even to just play that squad support role. 

Sieze the moment Herdman! 

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I said earlier, I honestly think we should call him into the 1st team for this camp. The US can't, as they've released the group, we still can. Even to just play that squad support role. 

Great point re: the US cant... that is a big opportunity for us. I wonder if we could call him up for Senior Camp so he can get a feel for us, Herdman can get a feel for him (+ cap tie), and then we ship him off to Honduras for the U20s right after

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So @Footyehpushed me to a more cautious view, rightly, and look what happened : called up to the 1st team and plays final minutes.

The only Canadians getting minutes in top 5 leagues this season: Davies, David, Ugbo, Luca. 

So there you, are, my instincts were right only because I know Espanyol. But how about that for events moving quickly?

Do you have a link to the US provisional 60 list. I can't find it!

Massive if he is on ours and not there's and imo means he has picked Canada. No reason for him not to make a 60 man US list.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Great accomplishment for the boy.  It's smart to show him some love but I'm not sure how much experimenting will really be done with the senior squad between now and the world cup.  Having him with the U20's would be fantastic, especially if we qualify.  The benefit we have is that he's still probably not selected in a 1st choice US roster for qualifying, a debut isn't going to push him above 5-6 options that are playing regularly at a 1st team level.  So at least he would be guaranteed a spot with us.

19 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Great accomplishment for the boy.  It's smart to show him some love but I'm not sure how much experimenting will really be done with the senior squad between now and the world cup.  Having him with the U20's would be fantastic, especially if we qualify.  The benefit we have is that he's still probably not selected in a 1st choice US roster for qualifying, a debut isn't going to push him above 5-6 options that are playing regularly at a 1st team level.  So at least he would be guaranteed a spot with us.

I don't think he expects Qatar from anyone, he's not nuts. And I say that after listening to that interview with that goof Filippo Silva, he seemed level-headed and humble and very polite. 

Not at all like the divo image we get from Flores.

He may end up using us to get into the US picture, and they do have a young squad and are calling up youth. But it's going to be fun if he does play u-20 for us.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Do you have a link to the US provisional 60 list. I can't find it!

Massive if he is on ours and not there's and imo means he has picked Canada. No reason for him not to make a 60 man US list.

There hasn’t been one posted. And I haven’t seen anywhere that he isn’t on the US roster. FWIW he was in the last US u20 camp so I doubt he isn’t on the roster.

On 5/22/2022 at 1:49 AM, prairiecanuck said:

He was back on the pitch with TFC this week.  I don't think he was involved in full training, but on the pitch none the less and doing some activity.

I meant see the pitch in a scheduled game.

23 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Does anyone know if CONCACAF is going to release the 60 man squads like they often do for other tournaments? I'd like to see what other players could be potentially involved on other teams.

Think it's down to the individual federations as to whether they release the squad. Concacaf don't. 

On 5/24/2022 at 1:49 PM, VinceA said:

Does anyone know if CONCACAF is going to release the 60 man squads like they often do for other tournaments? I'd like to see what other players could be potentially involved on other teams.

here are all 60 man Provisional lists

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/zvvenxhj/cmu20-provisional-rosters.pdf

18 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Based on a quick scroll:

Two Canada-based players on the Haitian team.

One Canada-based players on the Jamaican team.

One Canada-based players on the T & T team.

Flores is on the Mexican extended squad

Koleosho is on the American extended squad.

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Based on a quick scroll:

Marcus Ferkranus is also tracked by Canucks Abroad and he's on the US Roster.

22 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Based on a quick scroll:

It looks like two Canada-based players on Trinidad & Tobago.  One from Vaughan & one from Toronto FC.

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Based on a quick scroll:

So just to further update this list:

Two Canada-based players on the T & T team.

Two (Koleosho and Ferkranus) on the American extended squad.

One Canada-eligible (Abraham Madriz) on the Costa Rica team.

Edited by Approve My Account Pls