2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Atanasov being on the list is great since it means he's open to making a switch to Canada from the Bulgaria youth teams. He'd also bring a lot of pro experience which is always invaluable.

Normally I would've responded by saying that his name on this list doesn't necessarily mean anything.  However, if the CSA were filling the list with pipe dreams, I'm sure they would've found room for Jebbison, so maybe it does mean something?

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Normally I would've responded by saying that his name on this list doesn't necessarily mean anything.  However, if the CSA were filling the list with pipe dreams, I'm sure they would've found room for Jebbison, so maybe it does mean something?

From what I remember from the GC thread, a player has to agree to having their name on the list so that does give us a nice glimmer of hope.

From what I remember Atansov and his dad apparently listen to Northern Futbol and have been open to a Canada call-up for a while now.

2 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

If a player is on our list, are they are ineligible to be on another nation's preliminary list? Mainly wondering for Luca Koleosho, would be quite the statement if he accepted our interest over the USA...

I remember a Mexican American being included in both USA & Mexico's youth preliminary squads last year sometime.  It might have been Jonathan Gomez?

Correction: It was Efrain Alvarez as @Shway mentions below.

Edited by Corazon

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Atanasov being on the list is great since it means he's open to making a switch to Canada from the Bulgaria youth teams. He'd also bring a lot of pro experience which is always invaluable.

Bulgaria has two U19 friendlies at the end of the month.  I assume he could be called up for those?

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

If a player is on our list, are they are ineligible to be on another nation's preliminary list? Mainly wondering for Luca Koleosho, would be quite the statement if he accepted our interest over the USA...

Johnathan David was called up to US’ U18s and I believe Canada’s U21s at the same time and chose us over them.

Luca by the way played for the Espanyol B team last week, wasn't going to post because I thought he was gone. But yes, he came on m. 64 in their last league game, which they lost. So he has stepped up from their u-19 to their reserve side.

The team is now in promotion playoff to get to Spanish 3rd tier, the new 1RFEF, frigging complicated system, they play first leg this weekend.

If he can move into the reserve team, in 3rd or fourth tier (better 3rd of course), that puts him in sight of the first team of Espanyol, who avoided relegation with a few fixtures to spare.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I remember a Mexican American being included in both USA & Mexico's youth preliminary squads last year sometime.  It might have been Jonathan Gomez?

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Johnathan David was called up to US’ U18s and I believe Canada’s U21s at the same time and chose us over them.

Okay so it's likely Luca, maybe Atanasov will be called to multiple rosters and see who they pick

14 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Okay so it's likely Luca, maybe Atanasov will be called to multiple rosters and see who they pick

I think they don't do that, if he said yes to Canada for this round, the US won't call him as well, don't think.

Or are these rosters so provisional that they don't matter yet?

In any case, as posted, he's probably in our starting 11, his pedigree is up there with Lucas Dias and Justin Smith I'd say, maybe a bit lower, but he's also younger than they are.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

17 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I would assume so. I’m looking also at Owen Goodman who can play for nigeria, Canada or England. He mentioned in an interview he’ll play for whoever calls him, though he’s interested in playing with nigeria. He might come to our camp, but realize that with our keepers, it may be hard for him to eventually crack our senior squad, so Nigeria calls him up too. Tomori also played for Canada and England before committing to England.

10 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Good get for us but he has no chance of getting in the US roster so it's not much of a choice or statement tbh

9 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Good get for us but he has no chance of getting in the US roster so it's not much of a choice or statement tbh

Why does a player on the reserve team of a La Liga team have "no chance" of getting on the US roster?

In the last camp there was only one other player in the academy of a top 5 league in Europe. Over recent months, another 3-4 have been called in from reserves or youth of German clubs. That is it. The rest are based in the States. 

Luca is amongst the 3-4 highest in terms of club ranking.

I think people are either biased or ignorant, and then, with this club in particular, whose youth I have watched for literally 30 years: they just made the final of the Spanish u-19 cup and lost late to Real Madrid. They also happen to be a club whose first team is full of academy players, it has one of the best academies in Spain and the first team is active promoting them. 

I count 9 current players on the first team roster who came through the Espanyol academy system, and more have gotten minutes.

10 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Last time I looked we were better than the US.  Maybe he has no chance of making our team and goes South.  Many of us have been guilty of it, including me certainly, but we need to lose the inferiority complex.  We just bossed qualifying which is the most important and significant Concacaf soccer. Maybe we are on the cusp of having dual nationals choose other nations because they don’t feel they will crack our roster for significant minutes.

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Last time I looked we were better than the US.  Maybe he has no chance of making our team and goes South.  Many of us have been guilty of it, including me certainly, but we need to lose the inferiority complex.  We just bossed qualifying which is the most important and significant Concacaf soccer. Maybe we are on the cusp of having dual nationals choose other nations because they don’t feel they will crack our roster for significant minutes.

Tbh it’s murky, this is the best U-20 squad we’ve ever seen and the reality is that it doesn’t even include 2 big names that would be on it. We’re leaving a lot of good players at home.

I'm high enough on Luca to say this: if we call him now, for the next window of NL, and give him minutes, he's ours. It'd be major.

Reason I'd be so daring and go for the coup: I predict that he'll be on the Espanyol B team next season and he'll get first team minutes in La Liga, I know how this club works. We also happen to have a former Espanyol youth coach on our technical staff, Tenllado, and I am 100% sure they've spoken when Tenllado is back here. That is probably a key factor in him accepting being on our roster. 

I realise this may blow up in my face but sometimes you have to be intuitive about these things.

BTW, I'd do the same thing for 3 others: Justin Smith, Luca Dias and Mitrovic (who's too old for the u-20s I gather).