2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

I haven't been following the thread closely, so forgive me if someone already pointed this out, but:

Mataeo Bunbury

Jay Herdman

Adisa De Rosario

Dino Bontis

This is like a who's who of Canadian soccer. I have never seen that before.

And who's Mael Henry? Does Doneil have an estranged son we don't knew about? I mean, he's even listed as a CB 🤔

23 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I haven't been following the thread closely, so forgive me if someone already pointed this out, but:

Mataeo Bunbury

Jay Herdman

Adisa De Rosario

Dino Bontis

This is like a who's who of Canadian soccer. I have never seen that before.

And who's Mael Henry? Does Doneil have an estranged son we don't knew about? I mean, he's even listed as a CB 🤔

We need to get DeGuzmans kids.

I'm just so relived to finally see a u20 team that doesn't just consist of mls academy players.

3 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Seeing a Cloutier listed gave me flashbacks of a bygone Canucks era. 

That's not even the worst centre ice goal of 2002, see: Ruslan Salei on Tommy Salo in Salt Lake City.

But... as a Red Wings fan, this type of reminiscing is all I have right now. It's not Cloutier's fault that Lidstrom is the perfect human 😂

Just now, SpecialK said:

Does anyone here find it uneasy that the president is kid and Herdmans kid gets on the team?? 

maybe it’s just me but I think it just looks bad. 

Do you anything about either kid, or most of the others?  A big chunk of this roster is new to me at least, maybe do a little digging eh?  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Do you anything about either kid, or most of the others?  A big chunk of this roster is new to me at least, maybe do a little digging eh?  

I have to say I don’t know them. They could be superstars or just garage I have no idea. Just the optics. For me if I was the President, I would step down to avoid potentially hurting my sons career or looking bias. 
I don’t mean any disrespect to them as players. 

Just now, SpecialK said:

I have to say I don’t know them. They could be superstars or just garage I have no idea. Just the optics. For me if I was the President, I would step down to avoid potentially hurting my sons career or looking bias. 
I don’t mean any disrespect to them as players. 

Bob Bradley was an actual USA youth coach when Micheal was coming up, he might have been head coach when JR got his first senior call up.    Its not always nepotism.  

16 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Is there potentially some nepotism involved here? Yes. But... Bontis and Herdman are playing at levels where the bulk of our U20 talent plays. I'd be concerned if Herdman was unattached FC or Bontis was a 3rd string keeper on a L10 reserve side. 

This. Especially Herdman, two of his Whitecaps 2 teammates are coming as well. Has started both games, and had a nice assist.

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that those “connected” kids have had access to elite training streams and have had the positive influence of a parent who can do everything possible to maximize their potential.  It is no different than DeRo’s kid seeing success on the national sevens.  

There’s a difference between a former players kid and the two guys running the whole soccer association. The issue is their selection is clouded. They could be amazing players but now there will be always be the question of favouritism. Especially if they make the team and they’re starting. To me it’s not far to the kids. There’s no check and balance/separation at the CSA. The president hired Herman, Herdman has full control over the entire men’s program from U15 to Senior. Herdman hired his Peter Griffin Yes man. 

if herdman was just the manager of the senior team it could be different. 

have we ever had this situation before ?