2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Yeah, it seems the list of players out due to injuries or club commitments is more interesting than the actual list. Or at least I rezognize all those names.

It makes a bit of sense. It's not an international window, so nobody that's expected to have an impact with their club should be expected to be released. Some of the names not being released are a bit surprising, I'm assuming they're injury related and not club commitments. Are Giraldo, Ferdinand, etc going to actually get minutes in the league?

Just now, VinceA said:

Ferdinand not being called in is bogus because it doesn't look like Montreal will actually be using him. Interesting that Koleosho is on the radar, not surprising that Espanyol decided to keep him. Not blaming TFC for keeping Thompson and Franklin they have a rash of injuries.

Sad it seems that Atanasov wasn't called in and might not even be on the CSA radar. He just played for Bulgaria but wants to come to a camp. If the CSA did reach out I could see Arda blocking it. I want to say he has the second most pro minutes of U20 eligible guys after Lowell Wright.

Montreal doesn’t have to release him, also he’s been on the bench a few times and is not far from his debut. Not sure if Giraldo is match ready….

What’s crazy is that we have a deep squad of players who didn’t make it. 

I think Koleosho is close to training with the first team.

I like how they noted those missing in the press release. For me the curious one is Zouhir with Morocco U-20. He was in that video with CFM with the other Canadians... Wonder what the story is.

Edit- ah noticed it is not an official FIFA window. Have to assume CFM said no dice.  

Edited by canuckgbp

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wash your mouth out with soap!!  Dont remind them about Olivieri....let Biello take over.  

Yeah I’m happy that there is no Olivieri.

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I don't know. I saw Biello manage the Impact a few years ago. Is he better than Olivier?

I don’t rate Biello but he is way better than Olivieri!

On 3/23/2022 at 2:15 PM, Atlantic said:

I’m not sure the selection process of how they got guys to commit to the camp but those three guys in Portugal that’ve been rumoured, to my knowledgeable the two kids in the U19s haven’t even played a game yet and then the CB joined a team in the fourth tier of Portugal. If they are in the 23 man squad I’d be a bit disappointed to be honest, if we want to be serious at the U20 level we need to get most of the top players coming. 

Theres also this tweet…

Someone call his bullshit.

Koleosho, aka Luka

Could be because Espanyol is into the final four of the Spanish u-19 Cup, which really is a major accomplishment. They do single match semis then final, April 13th and 16th in Lugo, draw tomorrow. Other teams are Real Madrid, Betis and Celta. 

They've slipped in play a bit these last weeks, partially because u-19s are being asked to support their B team, which is leading their division and on track for direct promotion to Spanish third tier. 

But I am fairly sure that if they had not qualified for the Cup, they would have let him go.

Lucas Dias & Atanasov are the two rather large notable omissions.  Atanasov has been at a Bulgaria camp so I'm not surprised.  Dias looked like one of our better players the other year with the U23's.  Could only imagine what he could do at the U20 level.  Hopefully he's included in the final squad come summer.

However, the fact that Ferdinand, Franklin, Giraldo, Koleosho, JMR, Thompson, Vilsaint & Zouhir were mentioned makes me think they are almost guaranteed on the roster if healthy and likely will be staying with their clubs during this training camp.  Two of the four goalies will be dropped.  That likely leaves about 13 spots for the 21 outfield players listed for this camp.

Edited by Corazon

Very interested about this finding Luc de Fougerolles. From what I've found online, he is currently playing with the Fulham U18's and is 15 years old. We've listed him as a wingback, but according to what I've seen from doing some digging, he's comfortable on the left or at CB.

1 minute ago, Pottsy3 said:

Justin Smith in the camp is a big get, but most importantly to me: HE'S LISTED AS A CENTRE BACK!

I was so happy to see his name on the list. Don't believe he is playing CB with Nice currently. It definitely is interesting

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Very interested about this finding Luc de Fougerolles. From what I've found online, he is currently playing with the Fulham U18's and is 15 years old. We've listed him as a wingback, but according to what I've seen from doing some digging, he's comfortable on the left or at CB.

They list him as a 2005 in that press release. So 16/17?

6 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

So he’s a 2006 or a 2007 ?