Woobens Pacius

Stryker911

What?? Pacius needs a INT slot, that doesnt make sense, MLS does so much for developing CDN players..that cant be right.  All CDN arent auto domestic like the americans are on our CDN teams??  What a shock, has someone mentioned this?  its almost like it slants the playing field toward american players.   I'm sure if it was brought to Mr Garbers attention he would rectify it immediately, you know fair is fair eh??    

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What?? Pacius needs a INT slot, that doesnt make sense, MLS does so much for developing CDN players..that cant be right.  All CDN arent auto domestic like the americans are on our CDN teams??  What a shock, has someone mentioned this?  its almost like it slants the playing field toward american players.   I'm sure if it was brought to Mr Garbers attention he would rectify it immediately, you know fair is fair eh??    

Has to come through an MLS academy to count as domestic I think?

34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

We spoke at arms length about this here many times....(well at least I have with "in our future in our hands".)

Woobens is a Montreal academy product, but because his first contract was with a Canadian Premier League team he is considered an international?

It's the same thing with Farsi. Bez knew he was good and always wanted to sign him to the first team, but it was tied up on the international roster rules. It's very rare for clubs to take a flier on a young Canadian International (kudos to Columbus and Nashville.) Mind you he's been there for 2 years now, and no green card....meanwhile there's players who get REAL international players who get there green cards in less than a year. This is one of my biggest complaints.

This issue is the reason why there isn't larger amounts of movement from the CPL to MLS. If you're not a draft pick, homegrown product your "chance/extended leash" will come through being a dual Can-USA like MacNaughton and Heibert. 

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Nashville fans saying they're out of international slots. Pacius wasn't in the squad tonight. 

Wait a second....I thought this was an MLS game. CCC could have different rules that don't apply to MLS no?

Doesnt MLS teams have to be roster compliant before their league match?

Makes me think he just simply wasn't in the roster. 

I know Nashville previously shipped off a bunch of intl spots, but looking at their roster they only have a couple  "internationals" as the ones who are have their green card  like Godoy. 

Edited by Shway

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Wait a second....I thought this was an MLS game. CCC could have different rules that don't apply to MLS no?

Doesnt MLS teams have to be roster compliant before their league match?

No, but it would imply they don't see him being in the picture.

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Nashville fans saying they're out of international slots. Pacius wasn't in the squad tonight. 

31 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

That's just Nashville fans being misinformed. Pacius count as a domestic player due to the homegrown rule stating that all alumni of MLS academies are automatically domestic players (he is an alumni of MTL's academy).

Whatever led him to not be in the lineup up it wasn't being Canadian.

EDIT: My bad, it was already mentioned by someone else.

Edited by phil03

7 minutes ago, phil03 said:

That's just Nashville fans being misinformed. Pacius count as a domestic player due to the homegrown rule stating that all alumni of MLS academies are automatically domestic players (he is an alumni of MTL's academy).

Whatever led him to not be in the lineup up it wasn't being Canadian.

EDIT: My bad, it was already mentioned by someone else.

I don't know at this point. An MLS writer said the same thing... but maybe he's ignorant too?

Edited by PiedPilko

8 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I don't know at this point. An MLS writer said the same thing... but maybe he's ignorant too?

I think you might be the ignorant one lol...respectfully

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2024-mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#:~:text=In 2024%2C a total of,eight during any given season.

[Quote]Homegrown International Rule

Any player who, at the time of their initial signing with MLS, meets the requirements to qualify as a Homegrown Player as a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or has met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club, will count as a domestic player (i.e., he will not occupy an international roster slot) on both U.S. and Canadian club rosters provided that:

• The player became a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian Approved Youth Club no later than the year in which he turned 15 years old; and
  • The player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS club's affiliate (MLS NEXT Pro).[/Quote]

Woobens was 16 when he joined the Impact, and his first contract was with Forge.

Edited by Shway

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

The player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS club's affiliate (MLS NEXT Pro).

Possibly! I don't pretend to keep up with MLS fine print. But he never did sign a professional contract with Montreal, right?

4 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Possibly! I don't pretend to keep up with MLS fine print. But he never did sign a professional contract with Montreal, right?

I don't either anymore that's why you had me second guessing until I looked it up. But no! His first professional contract was with Forge so he's an international.

Stupid right? I know!

41 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

36 minutes ago, Shway said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2024-mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#:~:text=In 2024%2C a total of,eight during any given season.

Any player who, at the time of their initial signing with MLS, meets the requirements to qualify as a Homegrown Player as a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or has met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club, will count as a domestic player (i.e., he will not occupy an international roster slot) on both U.S. and Canadian club rosters provided that:

• The player became a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian Approved Youth Club no later than the year in which he turned 15 years old; and
  • The player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS club's affiliate (MLS NEXT Pro).[/Quote]

Woobens was 16 when he joined the Impact, and his first contract was with Forge.

Yep, I was wrong and while typing quickly I used wording that obviously wasn't ideal.

My bad on both account.

Let's hope Canadians Daniel Nimick, TJ Tahid, Kevaughn Tavenier, James Cameron, Kwasi Poku, Rayane Yesli, Max Ferrari, and Noah Abatneh who are all young guys....are either good enough to get a move beyond MLS or a MLS team is willing to use an international spot on them. 

From history and off the top of my head, Andre Hainault, Steven Vitoria, Nana Attakora, Marcel De Jong, Kyle Porter, and Zorhan Bassong* are guys who played on non Canadian teams and counted as internationals. I'm not sure if guys like Bent, Watson, and Jakovic counted as they were drafted. 

But a 10 year span and there's only been about 5 signings from American teams. Gambia has almost double that number.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Let's hope Canadians Daniel Nimick, TJ Tahid, Kevaughn Tavenier, James Cameron, Kwasi Poku, Rayane Yesli, Max Ferrari, and Noah Abatneh who are all young guys....are either good enough to get a move beyond MLS or a MLS team is willing to use an international spot on them. 

From history and off the top of my head, Andre Hainault, Steven Vitoria, Nana Attakora, Marcel De Jong, Kyle Porter, and Zorhan Bassong* are guys who played on non Canadian teams and counted as internationals. I'm not sure if guys like Bent, Watson, and Jakovic counted as they were drafted. 

But a 10 year span and there's only been about 5 signings from American teams. Gambia has almost double that number.

Johnston and Miller must have been internationals too no? Kaye? Is Mo Farsi not an international? Arfield surely is..?

Not sure how far back you’re wanting to go as you mention Watson and Bent as pre Canadian MLS team guys (so DeRo, Jazic, Serioux etc). 

Edited by CanadaFan123

58 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Johnston and Miller must have been internationals too no? Kaye? Is Mo Farsi not an international? Arfield surely is..?

Not sure how far back you’re wanting to go as you mention Watson and Bent as pre Canadian MLS team guys (so DeRo, Jazic, Serioux etc). 

Johnston and Miller came from Vaughan, and weren't intl signings on Orlando or Nashville. Kaye was a TFC product. 

I feel like Jazic, DeRo, and Serioux weren't considered internationals ...I could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Johnston and Miller came from Vaughan, and weren't intl signings on Orlando or Nashville. Kaye was a TFC product. 

I feel like Jazic, DeRo, and Serioux weren't considered internationals ...I could be wrong though. 

Interesting. I believe Serioux would have been for sure but this was pre TFC. Raheem Edwards and Kyle Bekker must have been internationals too? 

17 hours ago, Shway said:

But what if they traded GAM for TAM and transferred the discovery rights for an INTL spot, after signing in Next Pro but before the Generation Adidas fax dried up?  Or just apply the Inter Miami/LA Galaxy clause.

Sorry, it's Friday and need to unwind.

Edited by costarg

• 3 weeks later...