Northern Super League to launch in April 2025

shermanator

44 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Speaking of the CSA, they have been ominously silent about this since Matheson & Sinclair's announcement. No tweets or retweets of any kind about the new league (although they did post a video of Crepeau on a treadmill today, so they are not totally incommunicado at the moment). I find the silence both deafening and awkward.

CSA retweeted Trudeau's congratulations. Given the CSA has to sanction the league, they can't be too overt publicly yet.

Matheson also said: 

“Tom and I put in a lot of work behind the scenes getting the model and the business plan set before we approached Canada Soccer with this," Matheson said. "Those conversations have been nothing but positive.

“They’ve been fully supportive and we’re going to work with them fully in getting this league sanctioned. We want all of our teams in place before we do that, so we’ve got a good runway there. We’re looking forward to working with them closer next year.” 

In terms of owners, Matheson wants different types of ownership groups. The NWSL has 3 teams with MLS owners. So, I would expect at least 1 or 2 CPL owners. She mentioned she has talked to MLSE. Her first call was to Greg Kerfoot of the Caps.

Edited by red card

• Hamilton’s Forge FC says they haven’t heard from the founders of a proposed new Canadian women’s professional soccer league but they definitely want to.

“We have been working hard with our partners on the opportunity to bring women’s professional soccer to Hamilton and Tim Hortons Field,” Scott Mitchell, managing partner and CEO of Hamilton Sports Group, owners of the Forge and Tiger-Cats, told The Spectator. “We are interested to find out more about the recent developments.”

Statement from the CPL

“We are incredibly excited about the potential for women’s professional soccer in Canada and, of course, are aware of the newly proposed Canadian women’s professional soccer league as well as other proposals that have yet to be made public.

Like any sound business proposition, all proposed initiatives must pass the rigour of thorough marketplace diligence, have individual clubs apply and be accepted into membership of Canada Soccer, and satisfy its standards for professional league membership. This is not an easy road, as we know, but will ensure any league eventually accepted into Canada Soccer membership is set up for long term success.

The CPL is interested in any initiative that will help contribute to the growth of soccer in Canada and is currently reviewing all options in the women’s professional space.

Meanwhile, via Canadian Soccer Business, we will continue to invest in, operate, and develop our League1 Women’s programs, which featured 39 Premier Teams across Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec (via Première ligue de soccer du Québec) during the 2022 season, culminating in the League1 Canada Women’s Inter-Provincial Championship.

We look forward to reviewing all potential opportunities with the various stakeholders as they develop and wish everyone involved in the process all the best.”

The CSA badly need to get the national team rosters back on side well before 2026 so no huge shock there. Note also:

...“This is a defining moment for soccer in our country,” said Breagha Carr-Harris, Canada Soccer’s Head of Women’s Professional Soccer. “The addition of a Canadian professional women’s league advances the game and player pathways domestically and it strengthens the ecosystem globally. We are excited that our research and strategic planning in the past few months aligns with the vision put forward by Diana Matheson and Project 8.”

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

The idea of the majority of games being within conferences to save travel makes a lot of sense fiscally, but it could be a damper on fan interest.  The CPL has a similar number of teams, and even with a balanced schedule, it gets a bit tough to see the same few match ups over and over again.  It would be even worse if travel restrictions were in place.  I don't know how to fix this without adding many more teams to the league, so I guess we have to hope that the fans are okay with it until revenues go up.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Statement from the CPL

“We are incredibly excited about the potential for women’s professional soccer in Canada and, of course, are aware of the newly proposed Canadian women’s professional soccer league as well as other proposals that have yet to be made public.

Like any sound business proposition, all proposed initiatives must pass the rigour of thorough marketplace diligence, have individual clubs apply and be accepted into membership of Canada Soccer, and satisfy its standards for professional league membership. This is not an easy road, as we know, but will ensure any league eventually accepted into Canada Soccer membership is set up for long term success.

The CPL is interested in any initiative that will help contribute to the growth of soccer in Canada and is currently reviewing all options in the women’s professional space.

Meanwhile, via Canadian Soccer Business, we will continue to invest in, operate, and develop our League1 Women’s programs, which featured 39 Premier Teams across Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec (via Première ligue de soccer du Québec) during the 2022 season, culminating in the League1 Canada Women’s Inter-Provincial Championship.

We look forward to reviewing all potential opportunities with the various stakeholders as they develop and wish everyone involved in the process all the best.”

I find this statement cagey, and a bit haughty, frankly. 

They are literally giving little lessons to the ladies: hey girls, you need marketplace diligence and you'll have to talk to the CSA.

--Oh, hadn't thought of that.

Individuals clubs will have to apply--was that necessary to add?

--Thanks, we had no clue, silly us.

You'll have to set some standards, girls, and then they'll have to live up to them.

--Gee thanks, not sure we know what we are doing here. You sure nailed it on the standards with FC Edmonton by the way, hee, hee.

What is up with that sort of patronizing? A whole paragraph of that statement is the CPL standing in a high place and looking down. 

The CPL/CSB seem bothered that the women might go ahead without being affiliated with them and may find sponsorship and CSA sanctioning without having to squeeze through the CSB eye of the needle. I am not sure it is the exactly right way to go, but I do like that there might be some leverage against the CSB. If the women's league is a separate entity, the won't have to channel sponsorship funding through the CSB, which may force some deals to be reconsidered. Would the CSB/CPL alliance put down stumbling blocks or try to veto aspects? 

The key issue here, as I see it, is stadiums. If Langford belongs to the City, or the Halifax stadium, then would a city agree to boycott a women's team presence to ensure exclusivity, or hedge the CSB monopoly? We'll see how all that plays out.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The CSA badly need to get the national team rosters back on side well before 2026 so no huge shock there. Note also:

...“This is a defining moment for soccer in our country,” said Breagha Carr-Harris, Canada Soccer’s Head of Women’s Professional Soccer. “The addition of a Canadian professional women’s league advances the game and player pathways domestically and it strengthens the ecosystem globally. We are excited that our research and strategic planning in the past few months aligns with the vision put forward by Diana Matheson and Project 8.”

An ex player gets two teams and a few sponsors on board and it’s a defining moment?  

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I find this statement cagey, and a bit haughty, frankly. 

They are literally giving little lessons to the ladies: hey girls, you need marketplace diligence and you'll have to talk to the CSA.

--Oh, hadn't thought of that.

Individuals clubs will have to apply--was that necessary to add?

--Thanks, we had no clue, silly us.

You'll have to set some standards, girls, and then they'll have to live up to them.

--Gee thanks, not sure we know what we are doing here. You sure nailed it on the standards with FC Edmonton by the way, hee, hee.

What is up with that sort of patronizing? A whole paragraph of that statement is the CPL standing in a high place and looking down. 

The CPL/CSB seem bothered that the women might go ahead without being affiliated with them and may find sponsorship and CSA sanctioning without having to squeeze through the CSB eye of the needle. I am not sure it is the exactly right way to go, but I do like that there might be some leverage against the CSB. If the women's league is a separate entity, the won't have to channel sponsorship funding through the CSB, which may force some deals to be reconsidered. Would the CSB/CPL alliance put down stumbling blocks or try to veto aspects? 

The key issue here, as I see it, is stadiums. If Langford belongs to the City, or the Halifax stadium, then would a city agree to boycott a women's team presence to ensure exclusivity, or hedge the CSB monopoly? We'll see how all that plays out.

But isn’t Diane’s declaration equally patronizing ?   Hey I’m starting a league in 2025 and no have twin teams and two sponsors interested.  

- no mention of MLS  or CPL?

- no other locations 

it sounds like she simply vocalized her MBA report that interest in women’s soccer is at an all time high.  

Perhaps the women recognize that the Canadian MLS and/or CPL organizations that might add teams are not actually doing anything about it right now.  Who knows if and when they ever will?  Now is the time to ride the high from the CWNT's olympic gold medal run, so they are taking it on themselves.  Is it patronizing to take the initiative while the others do nothing?  I don't think so.

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

CSA officially breaks its silence:

I find the tweet below to be accurate

Again, thrilled about a women's league but sounds like some key figured got blindsided by this. Not a fan of the approach

Oh and you have this one from TSN stirring up unnecessary drama

Some newish things from Matheson's interview with the Athletic:

Matheson's first part of her elevator pitch is weak but she closes well with " Canada has the largest untapped market: third largest player pool in the world, a huge fan base, positive cultural attitudes towards women’s sport."

Her partner Thomas Gilbert has a strategy & operations background - nothing in sport.

Former VP of TSN is heading up their media strategy. They have partnered with Dome Productions. They have "projected zero revenue from our broadcast partner, over the first few years, because we’re not looking to maximize revenue, we’re looking to maximize visibility, and build it up and then medium to long term, then we’ll look to capitalize our media partner." So, this tells me they're going the route of CHL, Rugby Canada, NLL... where they give away the rights for free in exchange for air time & possible ad revenue sharing in the hope viewership grows close to Tier 1 tv properties levels. This approach hasn't worked yet for these leagues/federation. With having their announcement on CBC and CBC committed to gender equity in their sports coverage but don't show any Canadian women events/leagues (ex Olympics related), they'll be looking for something. 

It took only 2 conversations to get CIBC & Air Canada.

3 revenue levers are ticket sales, match day ops & sponsorships. No revenue expected from media rights & transfer fees. Average attendance of 3.7k should make the league work.

"We’re coming in as the tier one products and we plan to bring in some of the world’s best professional players."

Short-term solutions for where to play till around year 4 or 5. Sharing facilities with CPL clubs is the preferred option. She says "the CPL has done an incredible job, the biggest investment and soccer infrastructure in this country ever." 

https://theathletic.com/3980555/2022/12/07/diana-matheson-canada-womens-league/

Edited by red card

4 hours ago, Ruud said:

But isn’t Diane’s declaration equally patronizing ?   Hey I’m starting a league in 2025 and no have twin teams and two sponsors interested.  

- no mention of MLS  or CPL?

- no other locations 

it sounds like she simply vocalized her MBA report that interest in women’s soccer is at an all time high.  

I don't know if it's patronising, but it is also a bit rhetorical, no question. 

We don't really know enough to say. 

I wouldn't say not mentioning MLS or CPL is patronising, you are saying that the women have an obligation to always acknowledge the male version of the game? They are required to demonstrate they know their subordinate role, and then they can start talking? That is what it sounds like you are suggesting.

In any case, everyone knows Vancouver is MLS and many understand Foothills was a springboard for Cavalry. So what you are asking for?

As for locations: it is just another way to build the project. You can try to put a complex league together and then announce, or to do it more "organically", growing it piece by piece. And it seems to work, Saskatoon has made a statement, Ottawa seems to have, Forge seemed intrigued. Knowing certain CPL prospects can leverage it for a venue, like in Québec, it is not that foolish a move.

4 hours ago, rkomar said:

Perhaps the women recognize that the Canadian MLS and/or CPL organizations that might add teams are not actually doing anything about it right now.  Who knows if and when they ever will?  Now is the time to ride the high from the CWNT's olympic gold medal run, so they are taking it on themselves.  Is it patronizing to take the initiative while the others do nothing?  I don't think so.

Did she ask?

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

I find the tweet below to be accurate

Again, thrilled about a women's league but sounds like some key figured got blindsided by this. Not a fan of the approach

Oh and you have this one from TSN stirring up unnecessary drama

Yes from TSN which has promised nothing and done little to support Canadian soccer for quite some time 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know if it's patronising, but it is also a bit rhetorical, no question. 

We don't really know enough to say. 

I wouldn't say not mentioning MLS or CPL is patronising, you are saying that the women have an obligation to always acknowledge the male version of the game? They are required to demonstrate they know their subordinate role, and then they can start talking? That is what it sounds like you are suggesting.

In any case, everyone knows Vancouver is MLS and many understand Foothills was a springboard for Cavalry. So what you are asking for?

As for locations: it is just another way to build the project. You can try to put a complex league together and then announce, or to do it more "organically", growing it piece by piece. And it seems to work, Saskatoon has made a statement, Ottawa seems to have, Forge seemed intrigued. Knowing certain CPL prospects can leverage it for a venue, like in Québec, it is not that foolish a move.

No obligation- she has implied that CPL is nascent and maybe not ready to take this on so better to go on a new path.  Maybe it’s the right approach instead of announcing only after 8 teams have committed.   She also mentions women’s ownership groups which requires separation from the current CPL owners.  I get that. 

let’s hope a groundswell of support emerges.  It’s not Ryan Reynolds we need but Celine Dion, 

6 hours ago, Ruud said:

No obligation- she has implied that CPL is nascent and maybe not ready to take this on so better to go on a new path.  Maybe it’s the right approach instead of announcing only after 8 teams have committed.   She also mentions women’s ownership groups which requires separation from the current CPL owners.  I get that. 

let’s hope a groundswell of support emerges.  It’s not Ryan Reynolds we need but Celine Dion, 

Or maybe female owners with a bit more flexibility...?

Sorry about that.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the success of the business plan for this new women league is contingent to Canada being awarded attractive games in the 2026 men's world cup and a fair number of them.  How long the effect of the World Cup enthusiasm will last favouring the women league is a big question in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...