Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just can't see him starting the next one after the last two games.  Unless Marsch really feels that the other two are "last resort" options at this point, I am not sure how Kone gets another start. 

I also think he is likely undermining his transfer potential with these games.  I know big teams don't get overly swayed by small samples but this is highlighting his mercurial play and it would be making me cautious if I was a potential bidder. 

I was wondering how much he was hurting his transfer stock, but I don’t think he’ll be sold for anything outrageous? Buyers know he’s fairly raw with a ton of potential. I think it’s baked into the price, and a few bad games against tough competition shouldn’t dissuade anything I wouldn’t think. 

Just now, PastPros said:

If 2026 is the main focus, he will roll Kone out there again.

I know we are looking ahead to 2026, but we are currently in the 2nd biggest tourney we will ever play in (barring an uptick in interest and quality at the Gold Cup).  This isn't some friendly or training exercise.  We need to balance looking ahead with looking for a result in the now - and a result in the next game gets  us into the knockout round and assures of us another high quality game.  I don't think we just continue to play our hopeful 2026 starters regardless of form.  I think we go for the result first and foremost.  And in most cases, that will still be with the same starters, but I don't think Kone has justified a 3rd start in a row.   

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder if the transfer is in his head and is causing some of the issues. 

Maybe formalizing the move will help his performance 

I know you need to strike while you have the chance but I do find the idea of negotiating these transfers during a major tournament a bit distracting

29 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Kone should play because he’s one of our two best mids. This talk of starting Choiniere or Osorio is silly. Do or die game isn’t the time to try new things.

Starting Osorio isn't exactly experimental  considering he's a known quantity, and we don't really need an engine out there running and tiring himself out for no reason again, especially against a methodical side like Chile. 

13 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Starting Osorio isn't exactly experimental  considering he's a known quantity, and we don't really need an engine out there running and tiring himself out for no reason again, especially against a methodical side like Chile. 

Osorio just isn’t that good anymore, unfortunately. With Kone, we can expect him to bounce back. With Osorio, you can’t really expect much of anything.  

I love Osorio and I think he can contribute to this program still.  However, I would only be comfortable with him starting in a 3-man midfield.  We've seen how difficult it is with Kone & Eustaquio and with how much ground they have to cover just the two of them.  I do think it speaks volumes that we've seen Osorio twice and not yet Piette, Choiniere or Ahmed. The only midfielder I could see starting over Kone in our current formation would be Choiniere but I'm not sure I'd want to experiment with him there over Kone in a crucial game.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

45 min after the other team has tired in the heat, yes.  If it's a 3-man middle, ok maybe.  Starting and going 65-70, I'd rather not.  

Think this has been posted already, but this article from 2017 highlights an amazing performance from CS NDG’s tall, powerful striker Ismael Kone who helped his team to a draw against Pierrefonds. How quickly things change.

https://www.thesuburban.com/sports/late-game-heroics-lead-to-a-tie-between-ndg-and-pierrefonds/article_8c12e844-bd33-5b87-a665-167693b3501a.html

2 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

I am excited for him to be in a top flight league, a team with some history and a more settled coaching situation.  Culturally, I can't think it will be much adjustment. 

And glad Payet is gone, so Kone doesn't get "bedding"-in advice from him in a new country. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Osorio just isn’t that good anymore, unfortunately. With Kone, we can expect him to bounce back. With Osorio, you can’t really expect much of anything.  

You've been drinking the @anthony7 kool-aid.

Speaking of the genuius, kudos to you buddy you called it. You warned us repeatedly that if Osorio stepped on the field it would cost us, and you were right. We all should have listened to you, especially Coach Marsch. Now unfortuanately, thanks to Osorio, we lost against Peru and our Copa America is basically over before it got started. We had a chance to make history and a first result in a major tournament, and we (well..Osorio) just BLEW IT FOR US :(

I will never doubt you again.

Also, early congrats to Kone for the move. He'll be able to grow his game further in Ligue 1 and (eventually) play some Europa or Champions League games, maybe even fight for a trophy or two. Let's see.

He'll also join his Senagalese buddy Sarr, who played with him last year at Watford before making the same move.