Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think so too. Also because it's not clear what the clear alternatives are. I'd love to be able to drop Larin and add a mid, Choinière or Osorio. Or find another way to make Tajon work. But Kone won't be changed the moment we have a rival where the model we've tried vs top teams has a chance at working vs a lesser rival.

Unless someone's really hurting of course.

Larin for a mid is a very very simple and straightforward tactical swap for Canada's approach, that seems like it could bear fruit.  I fully expect it to get tested before 2026.  RIght now, Canada is caught between tapping the gas and the brake, against higher-powered vehicles.  The current formation might...might...blossom against lesser cars. 

So Copa remaining matches is a great test of staying the course to see what's what.   In other words, Kone and the formation suffering versus Argentina is acceptable if it shows greater promise versus lesser squads that Canada will face more often.

Larin is the one on a limited try-out.

13 hours ago, saladroit said:

pretty obvious that agents of canmnt players are leaking interest in their players during copa america to drive the prices up. i know he's pretty annoying sometimes but wheeler called this out on one of the onesoccer shows recently and i agree with him that it's distractions

But One Soccer has JDD do entire shows based on random clubs and no foundation whatsoever. 

Compare with the famous bs about Osorio's offers in Europe. There were none of any substance. Usually, if there's smoke there's fire, to add along with offseason transfer speculation. 

In any case, Wheeler is incapable of thinking it through. A bidding war started by his agent doesn't benefit Kone, doesn't interest future clubs, it only helps Watford. Going for a lower transfer means you can negotiate much better salary terms, you lose the signing bonus and commission but win where it counts. 

In any case, West Ham, Marseille, Roma, it is a reasonable set of names that could pay 8-12 million transfer and offer a salary of 1.5-2 million a year.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Reading all the complaints about the pitch conditions at Copa, makes me wonder if that affected Kone’s performance. Many were critical of Eustaquio in this match too.

It really is a difficult position to be in, against such a good team, and not knowing when the ball will bounce awkwardly or you’ll lose your footing.

Hopefully we’ll have more time on the ball in the next few matches and these 2 specifically can get back to dominating matches.

16 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Linked to Roma, Marseille and West Ham. Tweet says he’s “one of the most appreciated midfielders in Europe”.

The West Ham part of that comes from a guy that calls himself ExWestHamEmployee which to be fair he is.  But he does make his living now posting this stuff on Patreon.

“I can confirm that West Ham do have an interest in Watford player Ismael Kone,” stated Ex. “Kone is a Canadian international and is representing his nation at the Copa America.

“He is 6’2 and was born in the Ivory Coast. He currently plays for Watford in the Championship having joined them from CF Montreal. He has played 58 times for Watford scoring 4 goals in the league.

“There is a lot of interest in the player from other Premier League teams, Marseille and Roma plus others in those leagues too.

“The injury to Edson Alvarez could encourage West Ham to speed up their interest in the player and make a move sooner than planned.

“We will keep you updated and with Alvarez’s injury situation.”

19 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

Part of the business. I think it’s exciting to hear our players being “linked” to big clubs. I like the idea of our boys being hungry to showcase their game with this spotlight. A good tournament can make a major difference in their careers. 

The only football I follow is the Canadian national teams...I just have no interest in any other team, or league.  As a result, I only learn what I can learn from that context.

In the past, and recently for the most part too, on the men's side, Canada has pretty much played merry-go-around CONCACAF sides.  So when talk turned to Canadians going to bigger leagues for a better footie education, I was unaware, an un-moved, of the possibilities of such an education.  But after 4 + years of Canada showcasing themselves in the best light, and spending some time against other top-flight federations, it becomes crystal clear how much simply improving your D2D level of competition will improve your own game.

So now, I too can get excited about our players being linked to big clubs!  As long as they play a f/t role.

Edited by eramosat

35 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I know for a fact Osorio hired a European agent and was exploring offers, I don’t think he found anything worth leaving TFC for. 

He never had any offers of note, there was no interest. Perhaps due to his salary in MLS being high. But compared to even the most modest rumours with other players, he had nothing. It was bull.

Rejected higher offers from West Ham and Roma? Kone really said it’s no small clubs for him. 

Looking forward to supporting Marseille, and if Bombito goes to Lyon, I might just become a big Ligue 1 guy next season. Great clubs with great atmospheres.

If David does leave Lille… just when I thought I was out… 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/french-government-condemns-disgusting-marseille-fan-violence-2023-10-30/

French government condemns 'disgusting' Marseille fan violence

I think I remember this because it stemmed from something earlier that happened when Payet was taking a corner. By earlier I mean a couple years(?).

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He could also be taking a measured, intentional approach and trying to take a step that ensures he has playing time.  A step up that is too far at this point might see him sitting on the bench for a while.  

I agree to a degree.  He wasn't a locked in starter at Watford (he went to 90' 12 times in 42 league appearances), moving up a level and then expecting to start might be a bridge to far.