Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Hoilet is 100% a better pick than oso for cam but he cant play 90 and is limited defensively. Choiniere is not the choice for CAM. He didnt show enough against japan to improve (or reduce) his CMNT status as an 8. No chance we should rely on him as a 10 to break down teams in low blocks. I did think paton improved his CMNT status though.  

At this point it might be better to play with David as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 or play 4-3-3 with a DM and two 8s and hope staq and kone can provide enough at 8 to help buchanan, millar and david.  Glaring hole in our 10 positon.

I have been thinking about this..

I think we can solve the midfield issue by playing David there. Play Larin at CF and bring Millar into the line up. He won't let us down and he is an upgrade on whoever we otherwise put into the 3rd midfield spot. Millar and Buchanan both direct wide forwards let them counter with speed. Play Davies at LB let him lock down that sector of the field. On the right play Johnston in his familar RB role. I like it better as a 4-3-3-1 but both would be good....

------------Larin--------

Buchanan--David---Millar

------Eustaquio--Kone----

Davies--Miller--?---Johnston

------------GK----------------

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think we can solve the midfield issue by playing David there. Play Larin at CF and bring Millar into the line up. He won't let us down and he is an upgrade on whoever we otherwise put into the 3rd midfield spot. Millar and Buchanan both direct wide forwards let them counter with speed. Play Davies at LB let him lock down that sector of the field. On the right play Johnston in his familar RB role. I like it better as a 4-3-3-1 but both would be good....

Buchanan--David---Millar

Yes. Totally agree. The 4-5-1 is the only logical and reasonable option and choice at this point. Let our rock LB & RB bail our CB’s out of trouble if there is any.

Having our dominant backs at their natural and strongest positions lets us play taller no-nonsense CBs back there even if they’re slower. MacGraw, Kennedy, Cornelius….  Not even sure if i’d put Miller in there. 

i know Kennedy has had some bad showings, but all our CB’s have also had bad games and been hung out to dry with terrible formations the past 12 months. A proper back 4 with quick backs would cut the nonsense and actually give them a chance to succeed. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Buchanan--David---Millar

Like the lineup.

Paton or Piette if Kone is in bad form?

9 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Like the lineup.

Whatever formation Biello chooses, barring injuries, I don't see any surprise starters being selected.

The chance to audition guys better went out the door with only one camp and one match in two fall windows. However, surely we have the quality to beat our next lower tier CONCACAF opponent (Jamaica, whoever else) in a two legged tie, right?

Right?

Edited by BearcatSA

7 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Like the lineup.

Exactly. You could have Osorio or even Kaye in one of those two spots if their form warrents it. Junior would step in for David and David could push up to replace Larin.

11 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Whatever formation Biello chooses, barring injuries, I don't see any surprise starters being selected.

The chance to audition guys better went out the door with only one camp and one match in two fall windows. However, surely we have the quality to beat our next lower tier CONCACAF opponent (Jamaica, whoever else) in a two legged tie, right?

Right?

That was what happened in the Panama game in June. We weren't exactly full throttle yet we had the superior quality up front to get the job done. It's all I'm clinging to at this point.

But Jamaica (if we face them) have some quality of their own, so...

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently he was dropped from the starting 11 last week because he showed up to practice a half hour late per Valérien Ismael. That really sucks. IIRC he was benched during one of his last games for Montreal for what was rumoured to be a similar issue too. 

There’s nothing more stressful than driving to work knowing you’re late and getting later by the minute, so I know he probably feels terrible, but that’s so discouraging to hear. I Hope he’s not just living in England alone, he went from exclusively playing in Montreal his entire life to moving to the UK, that’s hard for a young kid. 

https://x.com/niltonjorge/status/1721560419712602357?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

By the sound of it, Kone said he didn’t hear his alarm which is the dog ate my homework level excuse- per that tweet it seems my recollection of a similar issue with Montreal is correct. 

Per this article, not an isolated issue with Kone: https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/23905090.ismael-explains-kone-latest-break-watford-rules/

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

https://x.com/niltonjorge/status/1721560419712602357?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

By the sound of it, Kone said he didn’t hear his alarm which is the dog ate my homework level excuse- per that tweet it seems my recollection of a similar issue with Montreal is correct. 

Per this article, not an isolated issue with Kone: https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/23905090.ismael-explains-kone-latest-break-watford-rules/

A lot of young players away from home have similar problems. Sometimes a club needs to be involved, even though you might think an adult shouldn't need to be tutored. Buddy systems aren't so far fetched.

The real seasoned pros are not just on time but often very early.

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A lot of young players away from home have similar problems. Sometimes a club needs to be involved, even though you might think an adult shouldn't need to be tutored. Buddy systems aren't so far fetched.

Older pros at clubs used to do this, at least up until recently.. maybe it's a thing of the past or just a club by club thing. I remember Kevin Nolan being Andy Carroll's minder. Trippier does a similar thing with younger players but im not sure it goes as far as making sure they get up on time!

It was the same attitude issues with Akio and Loturi at Ross county wasn't it? Or maybe that was just rumours.

At his age in a foreign country, someone at the club should be putting their arm around his shoulder and helping.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Of course, I think this is standard across sports- I know Sidney Crosby lived at Mario Lemieux's house for years when he came to Pittsburgh; I guess this all makes it tough for Kone's situation at Watford, because that's not really a club with a big veteran presence and beyond that, it's a squad of 24 guys trying to end up on better teams. I would be shocked if there's any sort of culture or cohesion amongst their players. I've felt for Kone- he can always be better, but the kid leaves Montreal for the first time since he was a child, goes to England to break into a competitive team that wants to get promoted, it's tough, suddenly it's Ramadan and he needs to now elevate his game while dealing with not eating during daylight, then there's a new coach, then it's the summer, then it's back to a new season, and suddenly there's more competition, he gets dropped from the starting lineup, can't get a consistent string of starts going... There's no excuse for being late, the very least anyone can offer is their time, but 21 years old is still extremely young to be thrown into all of this at once, and it really sucks if he really doesn't have that veteran leadership. Hell, Montreal had Piette, Wanyama, Quioto, even ZBG, Choiniere, have been with the team forever and know the city, and even guys like Kamal Miller and Alistair Johnston are great guys to share a locker room with. Now he plays for a team with 6 midfielders all jockeying for the same 3 spots, I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if another Watford mid snuck into his room and turned his phone off in the middle of the night.

Lol, just realized I pretty much named almost the entire CF Montreal starting lineup last year. Man, what a team.

Edited by InglewoodJack

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, EA FC 24 just released a boosted Kone card for Ultimate Team. Seems today’s drop is specifically for Championship players, but cool to see Kone of everyone get a nice little shout out. I think this card would also qualify for one of the evolutions challenges too, so you could theoretically boost him to becoming a pretty good player in game:

https://x.com/futbin/status/1725213064046231826?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

• 2 weeks later...