Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

On 8/30/2023 at 4:50 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Well, it’s mostly because their team sucks. But he more or less directly called Kone out after the game. 

So I went and watched the first half, and I have to say, apart from one giveaway that allowed Blackburn to counter (though it came to nothing), it really wasn't a bad performance by Kone.  He did a few good things, but was mostly meh, as was the rest of the team.  That said, maybe the coach (Ismael) is trying to light a fire in him, get him to be more active, focused and assertive on the pitch.  So far, it does seem like he's far more of a hardline old-school guy than the previous bench bosses (several players have already landed in his doghouse apparently).

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 5:56 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Best game I’ve seen from him in a Watford shirt. Looked every bit like the Kone we see for Canada.

In the 2-0 victory vs Birmingham he came on as a sub and played 25 mins. Both goals were scored very late. His performance in those 25 mins was very good. Work rate was incredible. I say this as he has had a tendency to drift in and out of  games. Silky on the ball. I believe his performance vs Birmingham won him the start vs WBA. So that's 2 top notch performances in a row. 

4 minutes ago, nolando said:

So weird to make three subs at halftime in a scoreless match. I mean, maybe I can see it if it's a Cup match vs a lower division side, when you are dreadfully underperforming, but not this situation. Result sits squarely on the manager's shoulders.

Didn't watch the game but it was their 3rd in 1 week. Perhaps load management?

I can't believe Livermore is starting over Kone.  As a West Brom fan I've watched Livermore a lot.  The manager had Livermore at West Brom so there's likely a familiarity and trust with the veteran player.  Livermore is also a very physical player, but he doesn't have a the quickness or pace that Kone has.  I haven't seen the Watford matches so perhaps Ismael had a bad game or two and has landed in the dog house.  I find it interesting that Val is using a 433 formation when he almost exclusively and stubbornly used a 343 formation at West Brom.  Looks like Val has adjusted his tactics to the physical championship game.  Hopefully he gets subbed on at some point today.  Would have been nice to watch Ugbo and Kone but I can't find a stream!

1 hour ago, prairiecanuck said:

I can't believe Livermore is starting over Kone.  As a West Brom fan I've watched Livermore a lot.  The manager had Livermore at West Brom so there's likely a familiarity and trust with the veteran player.  Livermore is also a very physical player, but he doesn't have a the quickness or pace that Kone has.  I haven't seen the Watford matches so perhaps Ismael had a bad game or two and has landed in the dog house.  I find it interesting that Val is using a 433 formation when he almost exclusively and stubbornly used a 343 formation at West Brom.  Looks like Val has adjusted his tactics to the physical championship game.  Hopefully he gets subbed on at some point today.  Would have been nice to watch Ugbo and Kone but I can't find a stream!

All the evidence points to he just hasn't been very good for Watford.