Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

7 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

he wasnt that good (to be a guaranteed starter for a team that was in the EPL the season prior) last year in the championship i dont know why this is so suprising. The championship is way better then the MLS hence why we only have one regular starter in the championship and hes one of our best players hoillett

Added some commentary to your post here...

If you look at the division overall, I would like to think he did pretty well for a 21 year old coming from MLS. I didn't watch all his games though...nor did I watch other 21 year olds that came into the division in January 

Just now, Obinna said:

Added some commentary to your post here...

If you look at the division overall, I would like to think he did pretty well for a 21 year old coming from MLS. I didn't watch all his games though...nor did I watch other 21 year olds that came into the division in January 

for a 21 year old Canadian i agree 100%, In europe our players will always be on the outside looking in because they arent domestic so the fact he is playing over there as a 20-21 year old when they could bring in a older veteran is a big accomplishment in itself. I think theo was brought over to young to be playing that league  

My bigger issue is that this is a cup match against an inferior opponent where you’d figure he would get a better shot, but I guess it is only the second game of the season so maybe Watford wants to play their starters to have them gel. Currently 1-0 Watford and they are dominating possession. Maybe we get a surprise Kone app at ‘46.

49 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not panicking of course. I noticed he was in a lot of preseason Watford marketing materials, so I figured he’d be a locked in starter off the jump, like he mostly was last year. Still early and Watford is fighting for promotion, so the second one of their starting midfielders has a shaky streak, he’ll be right back in. Just curious why he’s coming off the bench, especially for a cup match against a league 2 team.

Could we be looking at it the wrong way? Maybe they dont want to risk him in a competition like this. Keep him fresh for the ones that matter.

1 hour ago, Mitchryan11 said:

he wasnt that good last year in the championship i dont know why this is so suprising. The championship is way better then the MLS hence why we only have one regular starter in the championship and hes one of our best players hoillett

You do realize that Kone at 20, had 1 pro MLS season, then went to the WC and to Watford in Jan. No break, no pre season. Besides his play with Montreal, he's had some real good performances with the national team including at the WC and did well in the first part of last 1/2 season.  This season will be a more accurate measure of where his level is at.

3 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

i look at jebbison as a good example never really did anything in the championship last season, but hes getting looked at by liverpool and everton because hes domestic and playing with england youth teams half regularly 

Jebbison is also much younger (19) and has been playing in the Championship for a couple of seasons now. 

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

14 months isn't really much.

It's a weird one. He re-joined Sheffield United in February 2022 after being on loan and has not made that many appearances.

That said, he played in four Premier League matches as a 17-year-old and bagged the winner vs Everton in his second appearance. That is very impressive. 

I'm just saying he is doing extremely well at only 19 that I could see why big clubs are interested over and above him being a domestic player. 

3 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

It's a weird one. He re-joined Sheffield United in February 2022 after being on loan and has not made that many appearances.

That said, he played in four Premier League matches as a 17-year-old and bagged the winner vs Everton in his second appearance. That is very impressive. 

I'm just saying he is doing extremely well at only 19 that I could see why big clubs are interested over and above him being a domestic player. 

He's also athletic with above average size so there's always going to be clubs willing to take a chance on that at his age.

8 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

i look at jebbison as a good example never really did anything in the championship last season, but hes getting looked at by liverpool and everton because hes domestic and playing with england youth teams half regularly 

Liverpool are most certainly not looking at Jebbison. Everton are. They happen to be the second team in Liverpool.

7 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Jebbison is also much younger (19) and has been playing in the Championship for a couple of seasons now. 

Jebbison is not that much younger. He turns 20 this Sunday and Kone already turned 21 (back in June).

6 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I feel like it's primarily this. I feel clubs put more weight on those 4 matches than everything which followed. Sure Everton, one of the clubs after him, are the ones he scored on. No surprise. Just seems like a lazy link and I am not sure how much I believe it to be honest. With all due respect to Jebbison it's not like he's been lighting the world on fire since then, not for club or country. 

Edited by Obinna

Similar comp to Jebbison’s development arc is JMR. Burst on the scene as a kid who played really well off the jump but that development didn’t translate into immediate stardom, so at 19 you’re kinda wondering if he’s actually all that, but you forget that at the end of the day, this is a teenager playing in a men’s league and not looking out of place. Even if both really take that major leap forward in their 6th pro season, they’d be like 23, and still very young. I think teams like Everton and the other rumours (I think Dortmund maybe?) see this.

19 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

he wasnt that good last year in the championship i dont know why this is so suprising. The championship is way better then the MLS hence why we only have one regular starter in the championship and hes one of our best players hoillett

Ugbo will be a regular starter if he keeps up his performance lol 

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Jebbison is not that much younger. He turns 20 this Sunday and Kone already turned 21 (back in June).

I feel like it's primarily this. I feel clubs put more weight on those 4 matches than everything which followed. Sure Everton, one of the clubs after him, are the ones he scored on. No surprise. Just seems like a lazy link and I am not sure how much I believe it to be honest. With all due respect to Jebbison it's not like he's been lighting the world on fire since then, not for club or country. 

Whatever the case, as @InglewoodJack said, Jebbison has not looked out of place. Don't forget he was suspended for a few matches as well just when he was starting to heat up. 

I know he is turning 20 soon, but a year makes a big difference early in a career. And we're talking about a player already with a Championship / Premier League-level side and who has been associated with the side for years. We'll be lucky to have him, if I'm honest.