Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

Had an opportunity to watch him play vs West Brom. He is playing much deeper for Watford  than Montreal. He plays ahead of Choudhury at the #6 role in front of the back 4 and behind Joao Pedro the attacking mid. He is tasked with covering a lot of ground on both sides of the ball but more on the defensive vs attacking side. This is a change for him. In MLS his ability on the ball, passing and scoring were more on display and is what he excelled at. As was mentioned he won the ball on several tackles and Watford seem to rely on him to fill that function. The defensive side of his game will get stronger as a result of his role, but I hope they give him a bit more rope to get forward more often in future. He is quick and was able to start a few counters after winning the ball. His passing and decision making on attack will get better with more games. I think he is still getting used to the players and the pressure of the Championship where every game for promotion/relegation is critical.

It feels like Christmas! 

He and Stache have such a varied and deep skillset.  Both intelligent footballers that keep adapting and learning.  Truely a killer combo that provides a coach with so many options and flexibility in the middle.  Even if they never make it to $50m valuation or the top 5 leagues, their versatility and intelligence is where it's at, and that'll help stabalize and improve CANMNT exponentially.

They'll be soo much fun to watch the next few years.  Please stay healthy!  

47 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Kone is already a big lad  with his height and muscular build. As he gets into his mid 20s he's going to be physically imposing and the potential to dominate the midfield.

Looking at how big Alistair Johnston got, even over the last 6 months is crazy- once Kone gets his man strength in his mid 20s, he’s going to be a complete force. 

Watching the game against West Brom, his coach really gives him the freedom to roam a lot. He was covering a very wide area of play on both sides of the field. 

His defensive stops led to clear counterattacking chances and I believe one led to a goal IIRC. I feel like the coach has a lot of confidence in him to give a young player this kind of freedom to roam. 

7 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

His teammate Ken Sema got the brace. Inspirational interview:

That interview has gone viral to a point, I've seen it in Spain. A guy who has a stutter praised for pushing through and doing the interview, praise for the reporter who just asked the questions and stayed patient. Funny how I saw it but it didn't register it was a Watford player.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not sure if this Radio-Canada article has been posted yet:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/recit-numerique/5372/ismael-kone-watford-soccer-anglais-nouvelle-vie

Good read. Kone reminds me a lot of Davies. Both humble and mature for their age with strong values. It's great to hear that he is not an introvert. He comes across as being quite, but there's obviously another side to him. Good words and praise from his coach which should give him a shot of confidence that he is settling in well.

• 2 weeks later...

11 games left, 4 points out of the promotion playoffs, 13 out of automatic promotion. I think when Kone was brought in they were 3rd, just a few points back from Sheffield for second?

it’s gonna be hard for them to get promoted, but of those 11 games, only two are against better teams, only one team currently in the playoffs, so they should end stronger, but it’ll be close.