Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

5 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yeah, at the moment Kone is the NT player I am most excited about. And I am pretty damn stoked about Davies, David, Staq, and Buchanan.  If Koleosho joins the fray, then my mind might explode. 

I think Kone's ceiling is arguably higher than Eustaquio's, and Staq is a class player.

We do a lot of hand wringing about missed dual internationals around here, but he's a massive, massive get for the program. I think when it's all said and done, he's going to be spoken about in the same way as David, Davies and Buchanan. He'll be part of that group of players who go on to reach Canada 100 caps.

Allistair Johnston probably gets there too, now that I think of it. He's only 24 and he already has 33 caps. 

Saw on Instagram a journalist from Radio-Canada is in Watford, assuming it's to interview Kone. For how much we trash soccer media in Canada, I think Quebec has done an awesome job of covering Kone's rise. For such a quiet guy, he's been covered pretty extensively, and it's funny to me to hear journalists flip between covering Habs highlights and then switching over to Watford.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder if RDS or TVA would pick up Watford matches 

I wonder what that contract would look like. If Kone leaves in June, if he gets injured or gets benched at some point, those games would be absolutely useless for us. But on the other hand, most of Watford's games happen between 7AM-3PM ET, so it isn't like those channels would be sacrificing marquee television to host watford games.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wonder what that contract would look like. If Kone leaves in June, if he gets injured or gets benched at some point, those games would be absolutely useless for us. But on the other hand, most of Watford's games happen between 7AM-3PM ET, so it isn't like those channels would be sacrificing marquee television to host watford games.

Just thinking it would be like One Soccer only showing Lille matches. A contract like that.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Just thinking it would be like One Soccer only showing Lille matches. A contract like that.

That could be really cool. I wonder since they have the same ownership if they could agree to something where if he moves to Udinese, they'll play those games instead.

Not sure how much pull an individual player other than Davies and David have in terms of getting people to tune into some game from a random european league, but with how lacking Quebec's been in putting out hockey players as of late, Kone might be the most talked about local athlete in the province after leyla fernandez and felix auger-aliassime. I'm sure Watford games will draw at least as much as the competitive darts tourneys they show at that hour.

It's cool he's playing beside Mario Gaspar, a really experienced veteran who spent teens and entire career at Villarreal. Won Europa League with them. In fact his only experience outside of Villarreal is Watford, he also debuted young, age 18. More a holding mid. If Kone knows how to learn from these guys it'll do him well.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's cool he's playing beside Mario Gaspar, a really experienced veteran who spent teens and entire career at Villarreal. Won Europa League with them. In fact his only experience outside of Villarreal is Watford, he also debuted young, age 18. More a holding mid. If Kone knows how to learn from these guys it'll do him well.

Playing alongside Wanyama for a year won't have hurt either. Great experience for him to learn from for sure.

Off after 64 mins. Looked a bit tired and mainly anonymous. What he did do was neat and tidy though. He didn't have much space and they weren't able to play through him as much as the other day. He is going to be great I think. Reminded me a bit of David at Lille early on where he wasn't often involved and kind-of sauntered around. Think that's more just a bit of fatigue aclimatizing to the move. He was all action last game.

Seems like he also had solid ratings online too. 

23 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Have you tried a pop-up blocker?

Just on my phone.  

Managed to find a stream.  Unfortunately.  Some pretty sloppy play all around.  Kone has had some dangerous deliveries but it seems like he needs to get more hustle on the defensive side.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

10 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Kone pulled at the half... First Watford game I've watched with Kone...Watford has been horrible, moreso the backline, but can't argue with the change unfortunately.

The pessimist in me tells me his playing time will keep getting reduced even though he is only a few games into his new team. It’s the old let’s blame the new guy and the believe I feel some of these coaches have that well he is from Canada maybe he really is not that good  mentality. Hopefully I’m wrong and he continues to get playing time . Getting pulled off at half time is never a good look, but watching this game there were a few others who could have come off before him .

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

The pessimist in me tells me his playing time will keep getting reduced even though he is only a few games into his new team. It’s the old let’s blame the new guy and the believe I feel some of these coaches have that well he is from Canada maybe he really is not that good  mentality. Hopefully I’m wrong and he continues to get playing time . Getting pulled off at half time is never a good look, but watching this game there were a few others who could have come off before him .

Bilic used to coach Atiba, which should've left a good impression of Canadians on him.

Not unusual for a young player to fade in some games.  "Young" in that he only has 1 pro season at age 20. The Championship is a physical league with a packed schedule. Kone has gone from playing a full MLS season to the WC and then to Watford without the benefit of a proper break or pre-season. May need a pause in games to recharge. He has already shown he can play at this level not to mention his 3 WC performances.