Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

On 11/25/2022 at 7:02 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

So the same guys who insisted I was a fool for questioning offers of 5-6 million for Kone from Norwich et al (I argue they did not exist) are now going to continue to insist that Watford is going to pay that kind of money to Montreal?

Looks like they did in fact pay even more than the 5-6 million 

Kone’s  rise has been meteoric in the last 10-12 months. I know we all want what is best for the National Team but careers are short  and can burn and fade away very fast. Setting yourself up financially for a lifetime is pretty important to the player too.

I like this move for Kone and for his development. 

28 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Looks like they did in fact pay even more than the 5-6 million 

I wrote that before the World Cup. I also wrote that you needed good performances at the WC to help transfers. Which is why David has either gone nowhere or backwards and there are no rumours at all out there.

Even though the only person citing that sum is Veth, who is not too reliable, I am pleasantly surprised. Most likely it is the sum if he is then sent on to Udinense, not the initial fee.

Point is: he was not going to garner that last summer, after the World Cup he does. The WC leverages the fee, obviously.

I was dead wrong to underestimate a Championship team owned by the same group as a Serie A team, did not understand that at all.

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t love the Championship as a level for him.  I think it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle there I think.  

I would have preferred him go to the Netherlands, Belgium or Portugal to best honest.

At least with a few like this, he will get lots of chances and won’t be buried on the bench.

If they didn’t have the Udinese connection I would agree with you - championship is unforgiving for youngsters when clubs are pushing for promotion. Seems like the plan is to acclimate him to Watford and if he does well move him to udinese in the summer. That’s a great path and opportunity for him imo. 

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Which is why David has either gone nowhere or backwards and there are no rumours at all out there.

Rumours all over the place in the English press since David's interview after Morocco.

Probably because he said "The Premier League is the best league in the world and I think every player would want to play there some day."

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Worth mentioning that Watford is currently fighting for a place in Premier League next year so there is definitely non-zero chance Kone has a clear path in that direction...

Gives me a favourite for promotion, along with liking the manager.  Hoilett's Reading have let me down on that front recently. Corbeanu's Blackpool never in the honourable mentions. 

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The next time Saputo talks about how he "lost" $20m last year, please keep this number in mind.

Did anyone ever figure out what happens to the club compensation money that each team is supposed to get for their players appearing at the WC.  I guess MLS gets it but how does Montreal get their share of it.

I am curious what happens if Watford get promoted. Does Kone stick with them, or does he go to Serie A? Which would be viewed as the "farm team" in this case? Watford or Udinese? Being in the Championship, I imagne players would "graduate" to Udinese and not the reverse, but the EPL is (albeit marginally, perhaps) a stronger league. Udinese is more stable, however. At least it seems that way to me. Either way, all of this depends on how Kone does obviously, but I am just curious which team is the "big" team in this relationship between Watford and Udinese.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am curious what happens if Watford get promoted. Does Kone stick with them, or does he go to Serie A? Which would be viewed as the "farm team" in this case? Watford or Udinese? Being in the Championship, I imagne players would "graduate" to Udinese and not the reverse, but the EPL is (albeit marginally, perhaps) a stronger league. Udinese is more stable, however. At least it seems that way to me. Either way, all of this depends on how Kone does obviously, but I am just curious which team is the "big" team in this relationship between Watford and Udinese.

I think being at Watford allows him to play in the premier league if they get promoted, or if another team spots him and chooses to buy him, and as a last option, he can always go to Udinese. I think his goal has always been to make it to the premier league. If there’s an opportunity for him to play in the premier league next year, I think he takes it.