Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

10 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I know I said it before, Nottingham Forest has a lot of dirty money to spend. 😜

Why would you want him to go there I don’t understand have you seen their player management they signed like 26 players and half of them haven’t touched the pitch, laryea got used awfully there and they’re in the relegation zone. This would be the worst possible transfer imo.

53 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Why would you want him to go there I don’t understand have you seen their player management they signed like 26 players and half of them haven’t touched the pitch, laryea got used awfully there and they’re in the relegation zone. This would be the worst possible transfer imo.

I’m joking, and I didn’t say I wanted it to happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

They have a lot of dirty money, so they can make the deal happen in the January transfer window.

20 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I’m joking, and I didn’t say I wanted it to happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

They have a lot of dirty money, so they can make the deal happen in the January transfer window.

Forest have so many central midfielders, thank goodness. And I don't think many people taking the ones they have.

15 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Or go to a prem or top 5 league team. 

Been thinking where he would start in the Premier League, if someone did take a chance on him.

Maybe Fulham, they had their big Portuguese signing and Harrison Reed there yesterday. Chalobah was suspended but I think Kone could win a place over him. Cairney brings something different but getting on.

Maybe Palace - New young signing Cheick Doucouré has been their only defensive midfielder for most of their games. 

I would love him at West Ham as a prospect but don't see him starting in the near future.  

Arsenal have some late 20s, early 30s players in his position now, so maybe a pathway there.

8 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Despite I understand the financial aspect, I couldn't care less about his wage.

He does and a happy player is often a better one

And usually the higher his wage, the better his teammates and opposition. 

Hence the second, more important rating of the league.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

10 minutes ago, frmr said:

England has the best league in the world. Why would we want our best players to avoid it?

Maybe I’m wrong, but I suspect MauditYvon is alluding to the possibility of another Laryea type situation. Sign somewhere and then be buried, loaned out and have some manager who doesn’t really care about his development, putting him and out of the starting 11. Personally I’d rather see a similar situation to Buchanan, where you go to a league similar to Belgium, get more playing time and adjust to the environment. If he’s good enough, he’ll move along fairly quickly 

4 hours ago, frmr said:

England has the best league in the world. Why would we want our best players to avoid it?

One reason might be that english teams stock pile players almost like throwing a buch of random bets on a roulette table. If the player hits and plays great but can also get stapled to the bench or press box or get in a constant cycle of random loans

Edited by SpursFlu

25 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

One reason night be that english teams stock pile players almost like throwing a buch or random bets on a roulette table. If the player hits and plays great but can also get stapled to the bench or press box or get in a constant cycle of random loans

Some English teams have the resources to do that. 

Kone's talent is undeniable. He is silky-smooth on the ball, seems to glide by defenders, is quick and can cover a lot of ground. But like all young players he can be a bit too casual with his play sometimes. He just needs to play a LOT of minutes next season and eliminate those lapses. Davies mentioned that when he first trained with Bayern there was a lot of pressure to keep up with the skill level and tempo. I think Kone would respond to that pressure if he can also play a lot of minutes.

53 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Kone's talent is undeniable. He is silky-smooth on the ball, seems to glide by defenders, is quick and can cover a lot of ground. But like all young players he can be a bit too casual with his play sometimes. He just needs to play a LOT of minutes next season and eliminate those lapses. Davies mentioned that when he first trained with Bayern there was a lot of pressure to keep up with the skill level and tempo. I think Kone would respond to that pressure if he can also play a lot of minutes.

Except Davies didn't (play a lot of minutes) initially and needed an injury.  

Edit: I am generally against Canadians' first move being to the Premier League, I have seen it chew up and spit out a lot of youngsters.  And it means a 19/20 chance I would need to cheer against them at some point.   

But we have enough good players at this point that some of them should be playing there now. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He does and a happy player is often a better one

And usually the higher his wage, the better his teammates and opposition. 

Hence the second, more important overating of the league.

You mean?

Based on results, EPL is not the best league. Best paying most likely.

Thing is, we (Canada) really don't have a great legacy with English football, it doesn't treat our players that well. True, Italy is worse and Spain too. 

As we sit there is no clear path for Canadians to better leagues, it's as if we hadn't played in a World Cup in decades.

Though I have no idea where would suit Kone better.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You mean?

Based on results, EPL is not the best league. Best paying most likely.

Thing is, we (Canada) really don't have a great legacy with English football, it doesn't treat our players that well. True, Italy is worse and Spain too.

We can go in circles on this again if you want.

Remember leagues are not the same as top teams.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Except Davies didn't (play a lot of minutes) initially and needed an injury.  

Edit: I am generally against Canadians' first move being to the Premier League, I have seen it chew up and spit out a lot of youngsters.  And it means a 19/20 chance I would need to cheer against them at some point.   

But we have enough good players at this point that some of them should be playing there now. 

I am definitely not advocating for a move to the EPL for Kone. He needs to play a LOT of minutes next season and that is unlikely to happen in the EPL next year. Mind you Onana who played with David at Lille for 1 season and did not look great in Ligue 1, seems to be getting reg time at Everton and has made the Belgium team. Still would prefer for Kone to take another step up before a possible move to a top 4 league. Re Davies, he was 18 when he moved to the Bundesliga and to Bayern. I don't think anyone expected him to play with the first team in year 1. btw he did not kill it at Bayern II, but ramped up real fast when he got the start for the 1st team. I think we are on the same page re Kone's next move.

I would love Kone to go to the prem in the future but I think it’s just such a hard and honestly not very good developmental league for most, it shouldn’t be his first move. Ligue 1 or Bundesliga for me, being able to speak French and having a Ivorian passport really makes it sound like Ligue 1 is the perfect fit I just don’t know if many teams would pay the 10-20m fee for a unproven Canadian from the MLS, Bundesliga is the best developmental league in the world IMO also the 2nd best league in the world so that would be an amazing move to a mid table or upper table club.

43 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I just don’t know if many teams would pay the 10-20m fee for a unproven Canadian from the MLS

there's no way that's the price tag, the norwich and sheffield united bids have been around 5 or 6 million

which seems about right and is doable for the types of clubs who have been shopping in mls for young players lately

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

there's no way that's the price tag, the norwich and sheffield united bids have been around 5 or 6 million

which seems about right and is doable for the types of clubs who have been shopping in mls for young players lately

I think the next couple of months will decide his worth. If he has a good MLS playoffs and a good showing at the World Cup. I could see his value in the 10-20 million range, because there will be more suitors for him.

8 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I think the next couple of months will decide his worth. If he has a good MLS playoffs and a good showing at the World Cup. I could see his value in the 10-20 million range, because there will be more suitors for him.

Even if they don't admit it (in the case of the English), scouts will watch the playoffs and everyone will watch the World Cup.  For bigger clubs, it will be a punt and he will be a prospect - they will have watched many talented kids for way longer - but they can afford 10 million (dollars especially) punts.  He will get offers, just hope there is enough and his people are smart enough to pick the right one.   

One thing to keep in mind is that when insiders like Fabrizio or the other big names on Twitter talk about a guy like Kone, it's not like they heard something through the grapevine and reported it- they're effectively serving as PR for the teams they post about. Sheffield saying they want to close a deal on Kone in October so they can bring him over in January means that Sheffield believes another team will take him and they want to make it known that they're going to move quickly to lock him in. You take this, you add the fact he finished the season very strong, he showed well in Canada's friendlies, he's got MLS playoffs upcoming as a core member of one of the league's best teams, and you've got a World Cup where he figures to play serious minutes, and it's not hard to imagine an EPL team outbidding a Sheffield or Norwich by 4 or 5 mil euros to get their man- that's pocket change, and that would increase Kone's fee to 10 mil.

RE: Championship vs. Premier- I think the teams most interested in him right now figure to be premier league teams next year, and hypothetical teams in the premier league who might try and poach him are probably towards the bottom of the table- ie he's likely going to play on an EPL relegation threat team next year- I don't think this is a bad thing. Get (relatively) low pressure experience, show well, and then get sold once your team gets relegated. Not saying I'd want him on Nottingham Forest, but if he played for a team with their exact profile- terrible, will get relegated, will likely have to sell a lot of their players, and all of a sudden, Kone starts 23-24 playing for an Everton or Aston Villa. It sounds like an ambitious move, sure, but that's not much more than what we're expecting out of Corbeanu- one year at Blackpool, hopefully makes Wolves next year (hopefully they don't get relegated), then whatever happens, happens. They're the same age, and I think most people agree Kone is the more promising prospect.

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

One thing to keep in mind is that when insiders like Fabrizio or the other big names on Twitter talk about a guy like Kone, it's not like they heard something through the grapevine and reported it- they're effectively serving as PR for the teams they post about. Sheffield saying they want to close a deal on Kone in October so they can bring him over in January means that Sheffield believes another team will take him and they want to make it known that they're going to move quickly to lock him in.

More likely agents than teams, for me.  Teams don't want competition, they want to keep things quiet and keep the price down.