Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

He'll be in Europe before we know it. Certainly within the year, I would think, perhaps sooner.

He certainly can be here (Europe) after the World Cup, the question is do we want him to go as a prospect or in a lower league.  Or do we let him be a starter for another half season or more and maybe go to a be regular at a better club.   

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

Would like to see him play a full season with Montreal as a locked-in starter. I think that would be better for his development at this stage than going to Europe and battling for occasional minutes.  

With a good end to the MLS season and good World Cup I think the price range is around 15-20m which PSG, Lille, Lyon, Monaco, Nice, Rennes and Marsellie could all pay it’s more about would they be willing to pay it on a risky MLS player.

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

With a good end to the MLS season and good World Cup I think the price range is around 15-20m which PSG, Lille, Lyon, Monaco, Nice, Rennes and Marsellie could all pay it’s more about would they be willing to pay it on a risky MLS player.

I don't see it. Here's why:

We need to consider the re-sale.

PSG are not a selling club, but let's put them aside. I will get back to them.

The rest of the clubs are going to want a profit. Paying 20M makes that difficult. The player's value needs to basically double to get a solid return, but few players coming out of MLS are 40M players. I like Kone, but I am not convinced that is he ceiling. Could be, but jury is out.

If he kills it in the World Cup and becomes the next Canadian "star", then maybe someone will get sucked into a 20M fee, but I don't see it being these clubs. It will likely be an English club who won't be worried about re-sale value. The type of club trying to challenge the big 6. Clubs like West Ham or Aston Villa come to mind, or Leeds. They paid such big figures for Adams and Aaronson.

Sure, they took a European step already, but what kind of figure did THEY pay? Under 10 for Aaronson and less than that for Adams? This is the kind of fee I would expect for Kone. A double of the 5M figure Norwich/Sheffield offered would be a reasonable expectation, but 15M is pushing it and 20M is Alphonso territory as far as MLS transfers go. Augsburg have seemingly made a mistake, it could scare off clubs looking for the next NA sensation.

Edit: Forgot to come back to PSG. They could toss 20M at Kone and see how it goes, but is there actually a world Kone is a PSG player? That would be unreal, but hey I am happy dreaming about that!

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Edit: Forgot to come back to PSG. They could toss 20M at Kone and see how it goes, but is there actually a world Kone is a PSG player? That would be unreal, but hey I am happy dreaming about that!

I agree before he ends up at PSG, I think he’ll need some success in Europe, it could happen in a few years if all goes right.

Even though I would like to see him in the Premier league, I can see Jonathan David as a PSG player.

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

I could definitely see Kone as a Nottingham Forest player, they have dirty money to throw around. 😇

18 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He certainly can be here (Europe) after the World Cup, the question is do we want him to go as a prospect or in a lower league.  Or do we let him be a starter for another half season or more and maybe go to a be regular at a better club.   

There is nothing left for him to learn here.  The rate this kid has developed, absorbed experience and the little things is incredible.  Time to move on, it'll just increase his ceiling before it stagnates.  

I'm not saying he's a finished product, but he can learn so much more elsewhere.  

Edited by costarg

1 hour ago, costarg said:

There is nothing left for him to learn here.  The rate this kid has developed, absorbed experience and the little things is incredible.  Time to move on, it'll just increase his ceiling before it stagnates.  

I'm not saying he's a finished product, but he can learn so much more elsewhere.  

I disagree but there you go.  There are a lot of levels of football below MLS in Europe and there is no guarantee he will play in the higher ones.   I would rather him starting in a decent league than roll the dice with the ample size we have now on his development.  Even Davies played a lot more in MLS.

In other words better the right move, than one for the sake of it. Laryea and Larin are currently reinforcing that for me.

But all about opinions from afar.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

The nice thing for me is that there isn’t really a bad option (barring some bizarre Laryea-esque outcome).  He could stay at CFM for another yeah and probably become a dominant midfielder in MLS, he could move to a next-step European team where he would play meaningful minutes and continue to develop, or he could move to a powerhouse club and most likely get loaned back out to a team in “option 2”.  None of those are bad outcomes in my opinion so as long as he keeps developing all should be good.   

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The nice thing for me is that there isn’t really a bad option (barring some bizarre Laryea-esque outcome).  He could stay at CFM for another yeah and probably become a dominant midfielder in MLS, he could move to a next-step European team where he would play meaningful minutes and continue to develop, or he could move to a powerhouse club and most likely get loaned back out to a team in “option 2”.  None of those are bad outcomes in my opinion so as long as he keeps developing all should be good.   

I am not sure about option 2.  There are big clubs that have players (especially foriegn players) in multi-year loan cycles.  The one that always come to mind is Matt Miazga at Chelsea.  I don't think a year or six months with clubs all over Europe did much positive for his development.  Abdul-Rahman Baba, Hoillett's teammate at Reading is a late 20s Chelsea loanee with a bunch of loan deals behind him. Steffen could break out of  it with decent healthy year in the Championship.  Jack Harrison did but not sure if he was considered foriegn or not. Auston Trusty is another to watch from MLS. 

Obviously I talked about English clubs I know, but am interested to know about clubs that other people know better. 

MLS is as good as many of the levels that a player will get loaned to, even by a big club.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

There is no way this kid stays next season. Even if that might be good for him.

- Montreal was willing to part ways for 5 mill. After the world cup teams will want to pay more

- He wants to go. 

The only way he stays is if Montreal decides to jack up the price. 

1 hour ago, Vasi said:

There is no way this kid stays next season. Even if that might be good for him.

- Montreal was willing to part ways for 5 mill. After the world cup teams will want to pay more

- He wants to go. 

The only way he stays is if Montreal decides to jack up the price. 

Or he is loaned back to Montreal to finish the european calendar.