Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

He has great instincts and seems already physical enough to be a strong ball winner. Also has great speed, acceleration, and a neat quick turn. He showed the poise of a veteran on that play where he picked up the ball at the top of our box facing our goal while being pressed by three Uruguayans. Baited them a little and accelerated to the right wing into space then connected with a pass downfield. That is next-level stuff, not only holding your own but manipulating the positioning of the opposite team and flipping a high pressure situation into a counter attack. I hope MTL makes a long run in the playoffs. If he shows well there I think he should be a lock in our midfield.

Edited by Lansdude

2 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

He has great instincts and seems already physical enough to be a strong ball winner. Also has great speed, acceleration, and a neat quick turn. He showed the poise of a veteran on that play where he picked up the ball at the top of our box facing our goal while being pressed by three Uruguayans. Baited them a little and accelerated to the right wing into space then connected with a pass downfield. That is next-level stuff, not only holding your own but manipulating the positioning of the opposite team and flipping a high pressure situation into a counter attack. I hope MTL makes a long run in the playoffs. If he shows well there I think he should be a lock in our midfield.

If he can continue to get up to speed, his pace is also an answer for shifting over and covering space, if our wingbacks/ wide midfielders go on a run. 

1 hour ago, Lansdude said:

And he put that pass into space allowing Corbeanu to turn and run onto the ball instead of playing it to his feet and slowing it down.  Thus allowing the counter attack to remain at pace.

15 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Big clubs do take from MLS but its mostly just to stockpile and loan.  Turner might be an exception(early days but has been on Arsenal's bench and played in their only Europa League game).  Auston Trusty, Zach Steffen recently; going back, Jack Harrison worked his way out of loan pergatory, Matt Miazga is back in MLS after the same. 

Would Newcastle go for Almiron now, interesting question. 

Without red and white specs on, I would take Kone at West Ham but it would be very much as a prospect, before or after the World Cup.  A good World Cup can enhance your value but should not be the reason you sign anyone. Too many clubs burned in past by that kind of transfer policy.

I hope Kone goes somewhere he will play, if that is down a league or a less glamourous one, so be it.  Even then Laryea's is cautionary tale.  

A lot more clubs haven't than have IMO. Damien Duff, Thierry Henry, Robert Pires (EURO 2000 but still, same thing), Ronald De Boer, Frank Do Boer, Luis Suarez. You mentioned James Rodriquez as an example why a club shouldn't go that direction but that had more to do with him going into a side that had too many poster boys on it to begin with and him just not being a good fit. 

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

If that's the current rule, it is incredibly stupid and they might as well do away with cap-tying altogether. That would mean that (if the player is young enough, like Koleosho) someone could appear in an unlimited number of friendlies and then play three matches that consist of the entire first round of the World Cup itself (never mind qualifying) for that country and then still file a one-time switch after that and play for a different country for the next World Cup.

I can't imagine that this is correct though, and I suspect WestHamCanadianinOxford's clarification on the rules must be closer to the mark (if not on point).

@WestHamCanadianinOxford is correct regarding the 'whether official or non-official'. So I stand corrected: Kone is indeed cap tied now. FYI if you ever want to see the rules directly from FIFA, it's Article 9 on page 30 of this doc:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

As to your specific example @Gian-Luca, you can play up to 3 matches before 21, but even one cap at World Cup or Gold Cup is a cap tie. Could play 3 Nations League or qualifiers though.

As to my 'one time switch' comment, item 5 of article 9 says: 

5. A player that was: a) granted a change of association; and b) was not fielded in a match in any (official or unofficial) competition in any kind of football by the new association, may request a change of association back to his former association provided he continues to hold the nationality of such association.

So, Ayo Akinola filed his 'one time switch' to us, but he wasn't actually cap tied until he stepped on the field. And that could have been in a friendly. 

23 minutes ago, Macksam said:

A lot more clubs haven't than have IMO. Damien Duff, Thierry Henry, Robert Pires (EURO 2000 but still, same thing), Ronald De Boer, Frank Do Boer, Luis Suarez. You mentioned James Rodriquez as an example why a club shouldn't go that direction but that had more to do with him going into a side that had too many poster boys on it to begin with and him just not being a good fit. 

I need to get to sleep but I think we are talking about two different things. 

I was talking about players plucked from relative obscurity (from a European perspective) like Kone would be and transfered right after the World Cup.  Duff was playing in the Premier League before and after that Ireland WC in 2002.  Henry had played in the Champions League and Europa League with Monaco before moving to Juve in Jan '99 after WC98..  Suarez and the de Boers had played Champion League and  Europa League football with Ajax before their first World Cups.  These were not unknown players so less chance of a short tournament give too small a sample size. 

To be fair James fits more in your category than mine since he was playing at Monaco in 2014.

You obviously can see more football these days so less applicable but my overall impression of transfered relatively unknowned players right after a good World Cup was they had poor careers.  The mantra around my club is "We don't need another Gary Breen" and he was a free transfer from the league below.  

On 9/27/2022 at 9:51 PM, SoCalTransport said:

You forgot MLS Cup MVP, and then scores Canada’s first goal at the WC, in an upset win over Belgium, and then move to an English Premier league club next year.

I think that would be one of the best first years in professional football ever.

You got me wondering if Pele's 2-goal World Cup Final was during his first year of professional football. Not quite, but it was within 2 years of his pro debut. Apparently he made his pro debut when he was 15 years old (and scored on his debut) and had a pretty good first year. From Wikipedia, "When the 1957 season started, Pelé was given a starting place in the first team and, at the age of 16, became the top scorer in the league. Ten months after signing professionally, the teenager was called up to the Brazil national team. "

I know you weren't comparing Kone to Pele, it's just some interesting info I looked up after reading your comment.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

You got me wondering if Pele's 2-goal World Cup Final was during his first year of professional football. Not quite, but it was within 2 years of his pro debut. Apparently he made his pro debut when he was 15 years old (and scored on his debut) and had a pretty good first year. From Wikipedia, "When the 1957 season started, Pelé was given a starting place in the first team and, at the age of 16, became the top scorer in the league. Ten months after signing professionally, the teenager was called up to the Brazil national team. "

I know you weren't comparing Kone to Pele, it's just some interesting info I looked up after reading your comment.

With Kone this is all hypothetical. He does have the potential to do something great.

Pele is a legend, when you read about his achievements and longevity it’s amazing a player like this existed. There is also footage to back it up, where the career of someone like Babe Ruth is all hearsay and myth.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I just looked at Gavi, again, the Barça mid. His debut 1st team was late August 2021, age 17, then played the Nations League semis for Spain vs Italy early October. Hasn't slipped since, he's going to Qatar and could be a starter, now 18.

Kid is physically tenacious and takes yellows very easily, fun to watch.

I'm sure the list of youngsters rising fast isn't that short.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

There is also footage to back it up, where the career of someone like Babe Ruth is all hearsay and myth.

Not to get this off topic, but what?! You say that like he played in the dark ages. His statistics alone are astronomical and are 100% documented. My guess is you’re taking the called shot home run legend at Wrigley and then labeling the rest of his career like that, which is disingenuous. I get the myth like status, as he was the first true mega super star athlete ever, but come on.

13 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Not to get this off topic, but what?! You say that like he played in the dark ages. His statistics alone are astronomical and are 100% documented. My guess is you’re taking the called shot home run legend at Wrigley and then labeling the rest of his career like that, which is disingenuous. I get the myth like status, as he was the first true mega super star athlete ever, but come on.

Babe Ruth was nothing more than a fat old man with little girl legs!

2 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

His statistics were astronomical, but how good was his competition, was the game played differently. It’s hard to really know how great he really was, because we don’t have the footage to really know.

History is always defined by the storytellers. One example they consider Hannibal a great warrior, but when he faced off against the Romans he was defeated very easily. The reason he’s considered great is because the Romans are propping him up so they look even greater.

4 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Have to agree, I thought the original post wasn't warranted.  Even the "called shot" was mentioned in the Chicago paper at the time. Baseball, of all sports, is one of the easiest to use stats as comparables over time.   Just the term sabermetrics (Society for American Baseball Research) alone, should make the argument.

2 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

His statistics were astronomical, but how good was his competition, was the game played differently. It’s hard to really know how great he really was, because we don’t have the footage to really know.

History is always defined by the storytellers. One example they consider Hannibal a great warrior, but when he faced off against the Romans he was defeated very easily. The reason he’s considered great is because the Romans are propping him up so they look even greater.

I'd be happy to have a conversation with you about Hannibal...

2 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

They're still doing it?