Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

12 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I know I am overstating the obvious, but right now Kone looks miles ahead of Kaye.  And he will continue to play at least one more week longer (hopefully a few more weeks after that).  Herdman will have a very tough decision to make.  Does he want to leave out a couple of the "brotherhood"?

I don’t think it’s a case of either/or. I think we have enough space to call Osorio, Hutchinson, Piette, Kone, Kaye and Eustaquio. If someone is injured, which seems likely, then it’s even less of a debate. 

On 9/24/2022 at 7:12 AM, Ivan said:

I know I am overstating the obvious, but right now Kone looks miles ahead of Kaye.  And he will continue to play at least one more week longer (hopefully a few more weeks after that).  Herdman will have a very tough decision to make.  Does he want to leave out a couple of the "brotherhood"?

After re-watching the Qatar match.  I think we're really under appreciating Kone.  He was really really good.  A few early movements lead to shot attempts.  His pace and athleticism blocks lanes and movements when he's off the ball defending.  There was one moment he lost his mark but his athleticism and quickness was on display in recovery.  Still a teaching moment for him.  His touches a quick crisp and decisive and he has the ability to turn dribble force pressure and that helps create space for others.  He needs to start against Uruguay for me. 

3 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

After re-watching the Qatar match.  I think we're really under appreciating Kone.  He was really really good.  A few early movements lead to shot attempts.  His pace and athleticism blocks lanes and movements when he's off the ball defending.  There was one moment he lost his mark but his athleticism and quickness was on display in recovery.  Still a teaching moment for him.  His touches a quick crisp and decisive and he has the ability to turn dribble force pressure and that helps create space for others.  He needs to start against Uruguay for me. 

I feel he and Eustaquio will be undisputed starters for CANMNT by next year (barring injury).

On 9/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, Ivan said:

I really think we need to stop thinking hyperbolically about this “brotherhood” idea.  Everyone seems to think it is some sort of exclusive club but I don’t think Herdman would ever limit his options by tying his own hands when it comes to the WC squad. Plus Kone played during qualifying and is now with the squad again - I don’t know what the threshold for joining the guild might be but it seems like he is being integrated to some degree.  

Well if its being treated as something exclusive and new guys are being treated as the "other" and they missed out etc its a big waste.  If the team has a good confident feeling they should be incorporating more guys into it so it doesnt end when the natural turn over happens,  Currently we have guys that have done very well, winning leagues in europe etc.  This has filtered down to younger guys who dont seem to fear or back down from anyone.  It would be nice if more guys were involved and it rubbed off on them so they could take that attitude back to their clubs.  

1 hour ago, Mitchryan11 said:

Think your reading to much into it 

It sounds like a hot take, but is it that far off? The non-giants of the EPL have plenty of money to spend relative to their counterparts on the continent, but relative to the big 6 they are looking for deals on promising players, not finished products, and Kone is possibly that sort of player. I believe this is why those upper tier Championship teams were already preparing bids, and that was pre-WC. IF he goes and plays well it's not hard to imagine clubs like Everton, Wolves, and Leicester City joining the race. He's got that tier 1 potential, just as Herdman would say, but for now he's basically an unknown player. That's likely to change in a few months.