Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

Yeah I think that Mount Royal soccer article is what I was thinking of. Whether he was actually partying or finding some other distraction, his problem was never talent, it seems to have been taking the game serious enough. So I don’t think his downfall was playing for Barcelona, it was that he didn’t seize the opportunity like he should’ve. 

Have only been following the thread closely enough to see some questions around Tabla partying. The only thing I recall about that was something about him hanging out late night with Dembele and others playing FIFA, then showing up late to training, or something. That's hardly a party.

I recall the accusation that Dembele was a bad apple and bad influence on him in that regard, but nothing more. 

17 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

...his problem was never talent...

I'm not sure what folks saw in him early on, maybe he really stood out in his mid-teens, but it looks like he hit his ceiling early. Having watched him several times as part of Atletico, there's nothing about his game now that really stands out. Just my opinion, but I would think if that exceptional talent was really there, it would be showing by now in this league. It looks like a case of an early, inflated assessment of his potential. As a result, instead of building on successes and moving upward, he's started high and drifted downward to the appropriate level. Not necessarily his fault, but looks from the outside like failure.

Maybe we should be talking about Kone anyways. Poor Tabla is doing alright for himself in CPL, let him be.

Kone meanwhile continues to impress for Montreal. I guess there is nothing more to say at this point (which is probably why we drifted off topic), because there is no impending transfer and no further rumours. I am sure he'll continue to keep putting in good performances with Montreal.

Like Shaffelburg, he's with a club destined for the playoffs, so hopefully he gets into a game or two and does well. Those post-season games could make the difference with Herdman's selection for some of these bubble guys like Shaff and Kone. Contrast that to a Nelson or Priso, who have been in camp before but are with Toronto and Colorado respectively, teams that will probably miss the playoffs barring an incredible turn around in form. 

Edit: And to clarify, the reason the playoffs may make a difference is that it's simply just more time the players are training and playing and staying game fit. Bonus points if you show out in the playoffs, a la Tajon Buchanan in 2020.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I'm not sure what folks saw in him early on, maybe he really stood out in his mid-teens, but it looks like he hit his ceiling early. Having watched him several times as part of Atletico, there's nothing about his game now that really stands out. Just my opinion, but I would think if that exceptional talent was really there, it would be showing by now in this league. It looks like a case of an early, inflated assessment of his potential. As a result, instead of building on successes and moving upward, he's started high and drifted downward to the appropriate level. Not necessarily his fault, but looks from the outside like failure.

The talent was evident early on.   I recall this goal.   The video doesnt do it justice because it doesnt show the lead up to the goal just before when the ball was in TFC's end.  I recall calling it while i was located in the first two rows in section 113 (just about 30 seconds before) saying to watch out for this kid wearing #13.  Few had heard of this kid before but i had read some stuff about him in Quebec media.  PPL turned around looking at me right after the goal :)

Edited by Free kick

Kone interview from a few days ago in French:

https://www.tvasports.ca/2022/07/30/un-reve-devenu-realite-pour-ismael-kone

no new info, but he says he grew up admiring Drogba, obviously, so the fact that he went from CIV, ended up going pro at Montreal is so cool for him. He says he believes he’s putting himself in a good position to potentially go to Qatar. Still has dreams of playing for the world’s biggest clubs and thinks he has the talent for it. 

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

The talent was evident early on.   I recall this goal.   The video doesnt do it justice because it doesnt show the lead up to the goal just before when the ball was in TFC's end.  I recall calling it while i was located in the first two rows in section 113 (just about 30 seconds before) saying to watch out for this kid wearing #13.  Few had heard of this kid before but i had read some stuff about him in Quebec media.  PPL turned around looking at me right after the goal :)

I also know that he single-handedly won a V Cup game with the then-Impact a couple of years ago as a sub.   He basically grabbed that game by the throat and decided it.  That was against a CPL opponent mind you, but the fact remains that he was able to do something the rest of his MLS teammates had been unable to do for the whole prior period of the game.  So there is a spark that is there - just not sure how often we see it.  

As for Kone, I am definitely hoping he can get into more games as a starter.  There is enough quality at CFM that he has capable guys to play with and learn from.  No idea if he will be in the 11 tonight but the game is on TSN 1 so it may be a good chance to see him.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Have only been following the thread closely enough to see some questions around Tabla partying. The only thing I recall about that was something about him hanging out late night with Dembele and others playing FIFA, then showing up late to training, or something. That's hardly a party.

I recall the accusation that Dembele was a bad apple and bad influence on him in that regard, but nothing more. 

The Dembele side of the story is accurate in the sense that yes, he spent a lot of time early on gaming; played all night; had friends who did not care if he played all night; and arrived late to practice. Doctors felt that his lack of proper rest wa a factor in early injuries. Even when the club began to control his schedule, he'd still come to practice late, as recently as last fall.

But at no time did I ever see or hear anything in the Barcelona press or from the club about Tabla being with him or missing practice with him or being fined for missing practice by falling into Dembele's bad habits. Nor did I ever hear or see anything about Tabla being late for practice or being fined for indiscipline, ever.

And we get daily reports on everything in Barcelona, nothing gets past the prying press, and further, as I already said: I was privy to information as a club member and having a personal friend in the front office.

There's more: when Tabla was there I saw most games, and ended up speaking to players' families, and on a few occasions players. You'd be surprised how the club ensured they'd have stable lifestyles, from cooking classes to buddy systems to getting all of the outsiders living in apartments to care for pets, to be responsible in their daily lives for a life other than their own. 

I realise some people have boring lives, but outright slandering to be cool on a fan forum is a bit much. It has to be called out when it is just shit-disturbing attempt to create a current of opinion based totally unfounded. And yes, it is pathetic to see some of you are still insisting on this. 

(Edit: I am not saying you are doing this at all, @Obinna, my problem is with the person that started this bs.)

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I realise some people have boring lives, but outright slandering to be cool on a fan forum is a bit much. It has to be called out when it is just shit-disturbing attempt to create a current of opinion based totally unfounded. And yes, it is pathetic to see some of you are still insisting on this. 

(Edit: I am not saying you are doing this at all, @Obinna, my problem is with the person that started this bs.)

Are you able to clutch the pearls any harder man? Someone shared the Mount Royal soccer article I was referring to ("the partying must stop"). If it's real partying or not taking himself serious or whatever, it's fine, it's the past, and it looks like he's taking his career more seriously now. There isn't a single person here that is rooting against any of our players, and if you took that from my posts, then you're creating a fantasy in your head. We get it, you are protective of players. This is still a super strange thing to be held up on after a full page and a half discussion about this, and multiple attempts to get the thread back on track.

The only BS started here is you harping on this for so long. Just drop it. We all want Tabla to thrive.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Dembele side of the story is accurate in the sense that yes, he spent a lot of time early on gaming; played all night; had friends who did not care if he played all night; and arrived late to practice. Doctors felt that his lack of proper rest wa a factor in early injuries. Even when the club began to control his schedule, he'd still come to practice late, as recently as last fall.

But at no time did I ever see or hear anything in the Barcelona press or from the club about Tabla being with him or missing practice with him or being fined for missing practice by falling into Dembele's bad habits. Nor did I ever hear or see anything about Tabla being late for practice or being fined for indiscipline, ever.

And we get daily reports on everything in Barcelona, nothing gets past the prying press, and further, as I already said: I was privy to information as a club member and having a personal friend in the front office.

There's more: when Tabla was there I saw most games, and ended up speaking to players' families, and on a few occasions players. You'd be surprised how the club ensured they'd have stable lifestyles, from cooking classes to buddy systems to getting all of the outsiders living in apartments to care for pets, to be responsible in their daily lives for a life other than their own. 

Holy shit dude relax. You might want to look up the definition of slander. Hint: referencing something that was written in an article is not it.

Also, this shit:

just makes you come across as a complete knob.

Just my two cents.

Edited by frmr

12 minutes ago, solsous said:

Kone is an adequate passer.  So far, his positioning is solid.  I would like to see him unlock the Crew's defense on the dribble.  Thoughts?

My thoughts watching that are that Kone, who's naturally a winger, may lose that tendancy the longer he plays in the middle. Obviously he has quality from the middle, and that's where he should play, but one of the things that makes him special, namely his dribbling from that position, may get watered down or loss in the process of him learning to play centrally. This is what crossed my mind.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

My thoughts watching that are that Kone, who's naturally a winger, may lose that tendancy the longer he plays in the middle. Obviously he has quality from the middle, and that's where he should play, but one of the things that makes him special, namely his dribbling from that position, may get watered down or loss in the process of him learning to play centrally. This is what crossed my mind.

Would be great if he embraced it and developed into our own version of (the Belgian) Mousa Dembélé. I remember watching him when he was at Fulham (and a bit at Tottenham) and he would just glide past players, while driving his team forward. 

1 minute ago, maccaliam said:

Would be great if he embraced it and developed into our own version of (the Belgian) Mousa Dembélé. I remember watching him when he was at Fulham (and a bit at Tottenham) and he would just glide past players, while driving his team forward. 

Yeah I think he'll forge his own style eventually, hopefully remincent of Dembele as you say. 

37 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

One thing for sure, he is very calm on the ball.  That cannot be taught.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I think he'll forge his own style eventually, hopefully remincent of Dembele as you say. 

The player that popped into my mind based on his most recent game is Musiala. Not to say he can reach those heights, but Kone has a little bit of that winger's athleticism playing in the middle of the field. 

18 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

The player that popped into my mind based on his most recent game is Musiala. Not to say he can reach those heights, but Kone has a little bit of that winger's athleticism playing in the middle of the field. 

Yup. Another great comparison. 

By the way, I just saw MTL won in the end. Big winner by the Water man. How did Kone do in that final stanza after the break?

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

I guess it all depends on him. If he wants to become a solid central midfielder, he can keep doing what he's doing. However, if he wants to become world class, he has to show that little bit of extra spark that we saw early on, making deep runs up the middle, taking guys on intelligently. I'm not saying he needs to become Fernando Redondo overnight but this guy has the tools to be on the Argentine's level.