Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The comment about poor shot quality is interesting as it's an attribute that applies to many, if not all our young players. They don't strike the ball with a lot of power or from distance....Corbeanu & Nelsen are just 2 examples. Nelsen has done a lot of good things offensively but his striking ability/shot is lacking which is strange as he scored a lot of long distance goals for the U17s. Theo would probably cement his place with Wolves if he improved his shot power/quality. To come to think about it our senior team players are not that good either, outside of possibly Jnr.

Interesting note.  Yet strange considering CFM often sets him up for long range shots.  He's taken free kicks as well as being on the receiving end of set plays from dead ball situations. 

I'm guessing he's got a great shot, just hasn't managed to land one on target in a game situation (yet).  This reminds me a lot of Pogba when he first started for Juventus, he was blasting rockets into the stands and you just knew he nail one eventually, and now he's immortalized on YouTube.  Once you connect 1 or 2 of those, it completely changes how a team defends not just against you, but against your team.  Its a huge asset.  I feel this day will come for him.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

yup, it was nice to see that long range strike that Justin Smith scored in a recent friendly for his loan club

Piette scored one years ago (I believe for a Canadian national youth team) and as far as I’m aware, he’s never replicated it or even shown signs he could. I’m not suggesting Smith will never do it again but I wouldn’t necessarily expect long range strikes to be a regular part of Smith’s game just because he hit one beauty. 

This is honestly great. Being coached by Dean Smith as a young player, is probably the best you could ask for. Guy likes to talk to his players and doesn't just move them aside when they aren't playing well. He also plays 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 which is good for Kone, as he will be afforded more defensive cover by his teammates. He's also a fitness mad man, high pressing game with lots of running. Kone seems to fade out of games past the 60th minute mark. Raising his fitness levels can only be beneficial. If Kone puts in the efforts, this is a good door to high caliber & physical games. I am 200% cheering for him. Kone has a rare raw talent.

7 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Jean-Yves signed with Barcelona, Piette with Metz. Occean played 1. bundesliga.

Forgot that Occean played in Bundesliga at one point. Piette and Ballou never cracked the first team. I know technically they signed, but to have not played... this is what I mean by it's hard to find Quebec players who have played in top-flight Europe.

We forgot Alex Bunbury. But anyway, it is what it is! I don’t know why Quebecers never really played or won in the top 5 leagues, some of them still had nice european careers (Bernier, Hainault and Limniatis).

Now with the PLSQ, what we want are CPL clubs in Laval, Québec and Moncton (probably would sign 4-5 guys from PLSQ or university).

5 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Piette scored one years ago (I believe for a Canadian national youth team) and as far as I’m aware, he’s never replicated it or even shown signs he could. I’m not suggesting Smith will never do it again but I wouldn’t necessarily expect long range strikes to be a regular part of Smith’s game just because he hit one beauty. 

This one?

I feel like he had another long range goal at the youth level, but couldn't find it ...

Edit: Found the other one:

Edited by Addona

4 hours ago, masster said:

The closing date of the MLS transfer window is irrelevant. Since he would be transferring into England, that is the transfer  window that matters.

While it doesn't matter in terms of Norwich signing him, it does still matter if Montreal would need to sign a replacement. If they have no one to replace him, they could just say, "Sorry, come back in January, we need him right now." 

For example, when Toronto FC was signing Pozuelo from Genk a few years ago, one of the reasons Genk tried so hard to block it was they couldn't sign a replacement. 

1 minute ago, rydermike said:

While it doesn't matter in terms of Norwich signing him, it does still matter if Montreal would need to sign a replacement. If they have no one to replace him, they could just say, "Sorry, come back in January, we need him right now." 

For example, when Toronto FC was signing Pozuelo from Genk a few years ago, one of the reasons Genk tried so hard to block it was they couldn't sign a replacement. 

Pretty sure they're not too worried about that, they've got depth at mid.

1 hour ago, Addona said:

This one?

I feel like he had another long range goal at the youth level, but couldn't find it ...

Edit: Found the other one:

Great finds. The first one was what I was referring to. I didn’t recall the second one. 

Did he use those strikes from distance up in u20, so there were none left for senior aged soccer?

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

Great finds. The first one was what I was referring to. I didn't recall the second one. 

Did he use those strikes from distance up in u20, so there were none left for senior aged soccer?

There's actually another one for Canada youth soccer. It was a layoff on a free kick which Piette converted from long range 

12 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The comment about poor shot quality is interesting as it's an attribute that applies to many, if not all our young players. They don't strike the ball with a lot of power or from distance....Corbeanu & Nelsen are just 2 examples. Nelsen has done a lot of good things offensively but his striking ability/shot is lacking which is strange as he scored a lot of long distance goals for the U17s. Theo would probably cement his place with Wolves if he improved his shot power/quality. To come to think about it our senior team players are not that good either, outside of possibly Jnr.

What’s strange is if you watch old Larin highlights from his time at Orlando City his early years in MLS had a ton of eye-popping longer range powerful strikes. 

I can count on one hand the number of times (if it’s even >1?) I’ve seen him really crack the ball on target in his last 30 games for Canada. Same goes for his time at Besiktas. 

Hell, same mostly goes for David too. Kid used to hit the ball really nicely at Gent but the last couple years is always looking to deftly slip it past the keeper or chip him.

3 minutes ago, grigorio said:

What’s strange is if you watch old Larin highlights from his time at Orlando City his early years in MLS had a ton of eye-popping longer range powerful strikes. 

I can count on one hand the number of times (if it’s even >1?) I’ve seen him really crack the ball on target in his last 30 games for Canada. Same goes for his time at Besiktas. 

Hell, same mostly goes for David too. Kid used to hit the ball really nicely at Gent but the last couple years is always looking to deftly slip it past the keeper or chip him.

It probably has a lot to do with better defenders who actually close down attackers properly. Most long shots at the top level seem to end up coming from the midfield on partial clearances.