Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Is Lille elite? I don't know what they pay. If you consider it that, I guess he'd be one. I should have added that I meant North American players as well. There have been lots of players from other countries who've followed that route obviously.

David's making about 2.25M Euros in Lille.  

20 hours ago, grigorio said:

GGG recently had this to say about some of the US’ young guys who made early moves to Europe. Curious what y’all make of them and if Koné is in the same class as the guys mentioned, above or below? Haven’t seen him play much at all tbh. 
https://twitter.com/nicocantor1/status/1549395240020332552?s=21&t=M1DGL80LloEujeDGtAaMvg

6B639817-7909-4098-82D2-0D8EE8166B23.jpeg

I have a firm rule that goes something like "I don't give a f*ck about anything Berhalter says".  I see no reason to change that up today.

I love the idea of him moving on.  However I have my doubts about Norwich.  If he goes to England, I'd prefer a club who plays with a bit more possession.  I would prefer he go to a league that is perhaps a touch less "physical" than the championship, so he's not thrown into the fire with tat extra little bit against him.  

19 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Pretty surprising, but after thinking about this, I don't know of any. 

Quebec has a ton of excellent players. I'm not sure why there's that disconnect.

If you look at youth soccer, whether at the club or provincial levels, as well as university teams like McGill, UdeM and Université Laval, Quebec reguarly has strong representation.

From purely a talent perspective, I've never understood why we don't see more Quebecers play in top-flight Europe. Then again, maybe I'm missing some who have.

Edit: Sandro Grande signed with Brescia when they were in Serie A back in 2001, but he never played. Actually, I remember him scoring a real cracker of a goal in a friendly vs Spain.  

Patrice Bernier and Olivier Occean played in Europe.

21 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Like Sebrango I think.

Speaking of Eddie.  I am enjoying following his son Donovan's young hockey career get going.  He's a 20 yr old Red Wing 3rd round draft pick d-man. The kid played pro hockey in the AHL at 19 (due to covid) instead of playing in the OHL, and kept his head above water.  No easy feat. 

20 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Edit: Sandro Grande signed with Brescia when they were in Serie A back in 2001, but he never played. Actually, I remember him scoring a real cracker of a goal in a friendly vs Spain.  

I was at that game. Even the home crowd was impressed, quite the buzz after that one. 

Funnily, I completly missed it was Grande until I saw the replay, I erred the player watching.

2 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

Speaking of Eddie.  I am enjoying following his son Donovan's young hockey career get going.  He's a 20 yr old Red Wing 3rd round draft pick d-man. The kid played pro hockey in the AHL at 19 (due to covid) instead of playing in the OHL, and kept his head above water.  No easy feat. 

Gigantic Red Wings fan: was massively excited for Donovan and he fared well early in the AHL but seems to have settled into a projection of a future NHL 3rd pairing guy. Nonetheless, he's been involved with the National Junior program and maybe the NHL's first Cuban dual nat lol.

20 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Oops! Misread/didn’t knew Grande played in PLSQ.

Grande played one offical game in Intertoto I think.

I don't think PLSQ was around then either. Grande was the only Quebec player I could think of to sign for a top-flight European team in the last 20 years or so. 

Lots of Quebecers have played in Europe, but the gap compared to Ontario comes in when we talk about top-flight specifically (i.e. Brennan (ex-Norwich), Stalteri (ex-Tottenham / Werder Bremen), Radzinski (ex-Fulham / Everton). 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was at that game. Even the home crowd was impressed, quite the buzz after that one. 

Funnily, I completly missed it was Grande until I saw the replay, I erred the player watching.

It was a great goal. I always thought highly of Grande. He had a bit of a temper, though. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

Sounds encouraging. Seems like he would at least get a chance rather than automatically go on loan, which is pleasing. If the transfer happens and he hits the ground running at Norwich, then great for the Canaries, but very, very big for Kone's World Cup chances. Our midfield is not very deep and we god forbid we lose a player to injury on the eve of the tournament. So, the more players doing good things at good levels, the better, and this move would extend Kone's season rather than completing for CF Montreal weeks before the World Cup starts. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sounds encouraging. Seems like he would at least get a chance rather than automatically go on loan, which is pleasing. If the transfer happens and he hits the ground running at Norwich, then great for the Canaries, but very, very big for Kone's World Cup chances. Our midfield is not very deep and we god forbid we lose a player to injury on the eve of the tournament. So, the more players doing good things at good levels, the better, and this move would extend Kone's season rather than completing for CF Montreal weeks before the World Cup starts. 

Honestly, for me it isn’t really about 2022 - though I suppose each player on the fringe of a call up for a possible last discretionary spot will (or at least should) be fighting like hell to get on the plane.  But ultimately I think it is more about getting set up for 2026.  

13 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Grande was the only Quebec player I could think of to sign for a top-flight European team in the last 20 years or so. 

Jean-Yves signed with Barcelona, Piette with Metz. Occean played 1. bundesliga.

Edited by MauditYvon

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Again, neither played in the PLSQ, which was the original question, I believe.

Yeah I get it but we are now talking of Brennan, Radzinski and Stalteri.

And don’t get me wrong, I know Ontario produced better players.

Edited by MauditYvon

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, for me it isn’t really about 2022 - though I suppose each player on the fringe of a call up for a possible last discretionary spot will (or at least should) be fighting like hell to get on the plane.  But ultimately I think it is more about getting set up for 2026.  

For me a lot can happen between now and 2026. Kone could earn a spot in Qatar on the strength of the Norwich move, then return to England after the tournament, get injured, and have a big setback and not make it at Norwich.

Fair play to take the long term view though, and it surely bodes well for next cycle if he can take a step up ahead of time. I hope the move happens now after watching that little video a few posts above. 

3 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Yeah I get it but we are now talking of Brennan, Radzinski and Stalteri.

And don’t get me wrong, I know Ontario produced better players.

Ah my bad, was a bit behind on that discussion. Proceed :)

8 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

The comment about poor shot quality is interesting as it's an attribute that applies to many, if not all our young players. They don't strike the ball with a lot of power or from distance....Corbeanu & Nelsen are just 2 examples. Nelsen has done a lot of good things offensively but his striking ability/shot is lacking which is strange as he scored a lot of long distance goals for the U17s. Theo would probably cement his place with Wolves if he improved his shot power/quality. To come to think about it our senior team players are not that good either, outside of possibly Jnr.

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The comment about poor shot quality is interesting as it's an attribute that applies to many, if not all our young players. They don't strike the ball with a lot of power or from distance....Corbeanu & Nelsen are just 2 examples. Nelsen has done a lot of good things offensively but his striking ability/shot is lacking which is strange as he scored a lot of long distance goals for the U17s. Theo would probably cement his place with Wolves if he improved his shot power/quality. To come to think about it our senior team players are not that good either, outside of possibly Jnr.

It has actually been a glaring gap in our skillset for a long time.  The fact the Junior stands out so much in this respect is telling.  Having some play that “Lampard” role of drifting into the box a bit late and being able to drive it into the net would be a big help for us.  

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It has actually been a glaring gap in our skillset for a long time.  The fact the Junior stands out so much in this respect is telling.  Having some play that “Lampard” role of drifting into the box a bit late and being able to drive it into the net would be a big help for us.  

yup, it was nice to see that long range strike that Justin Smith scored in a recent friendly for his loan club