Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

1 hour ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

How did he look overall?

Bright future but if this game had impacted qualifying or not he would have been rooted to the bench. 

The game seemed to pass him (and others to be fair) by.  Looked nervous in possession and a few stray passes wouldn’t have helped his confidence.

Subbed off at HT probably the right decision.

Edited by gwsmith63

1 hour ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

How did he look overall?

Between the loose touches and bad passes, not good.  Clearly the most athletic midfielder we have, but he showed none of the composure/confidence that we saw in his last appearance.   Of course he was under a lot more pressure (figuratively and literally), but he showed tonight that he's still a work-in-progress.

45 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Between the loose touches and bad passes, not good.  Clearly the most athletic midfielder we have, but he showed none of the composure/confidence that we saw in his last appearance.   Of course he was under a lot more pressure (figuratively and literally), but he showed tonight that he's still a work-in-progress.

Well, his loose touch conceded the first goal in Atlanta, so when I saw a few tonight, it's clear he needs to up his game in that area.

21 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Well, his loose touch conceded the first goal in Atlanta, so when I saw a few tonight, it's clear he needs to up his game in that area.

He was so tidy in the match in Costa Rica, this is typical of young players on the rise though, finding the consistant good play is what will determine whether he stays in the lineup for club and country! 

5 hours ago, Yoho said:

Could have sent David free in the first half, held on too long and gave a ball to no one.

this easily hurt his chances of coming to Qatar.

Maybe a little bit, but he’ll have his chances to redeem himself. If he stays in the starting lineup for Montreal, he should get a chance in Nations League/friendlies.

Re the David pass, I actually thought it was pretty well placed and weighted.  David had to adjust his run a bit - otherwise it is an extremely difficult pass to thread right to him given the positioning of the defender.  

But overall he was definitely overwhelmed by the occasion.  Given his level of experience it isn’t shocking that a hostile Central American environment in WCQ would be intimidating.  I am not reading too much into it - and I am pretty confident that he will get back to CFM and get back into his groove.  

This was easily the poorest performance we have seen from a player in the Herdman era. It's one thing to be nervous but his decision making was terrible. Even worse is that he took way too long to make a decision at times, only to make the wrong one.

Hopefully he shines with his club or he's going to be very easy to drop.

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This was easily the poorest performance we have seen from a player in the Herdman era. It's one thing to be nervous but his decision making was terrible. Even worse is that he took way too long to make a decision at times, only to make the wrong one.

Thinking back to the losses against Haiti and the US I can think of at least 2 or 3 other players with worse performances. 

For me Godinho in that Haiti game is up there.

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Technically, I think Kaye's double yellow was a worse performance.  Kaye has also had some other awful matches in qualifying.  I'm saying this and I like the guy.

2 months ago he played his first professional game.

He was grrat at the Azteca and before 2 months, he was playing amateur in the canadian D3.

If we had a proper program, he would have been playing with the U20 and then the U23.

But we do not have this so Herdman took a punt on an in form player.

Maybe he will grow from this shaky performance, and I believe the rest of his MLS Season and maybe the U20 camp next month will help him greatly.

He's nowhere close the final products, and he's still in contentionnfor Qatar. Mental aspects of the game will grow with time and he is definitely one to keep looking at.

That first step was huge, and he looked like a rookie. Glad this game was meaningless. Many of the posters here wanted him to start versus Jamaica. Herdman knew better. That's why he is our King.

Not adding much more to the conversation but I noticed on a couple of occasions he looked very static, wasn't making many runs and a few times actual stood still in a manner that led me to believe he wasn't entirely sure what he was supposed to be doing in the system they were playing.

I'm sure a large part of it was nerves but trying to integrate him into the starting 11 of a group of guys who have been playing together for two years after just celebrating making a World Cup likely contributed to a lot of what we saw.  He just seemed lost and uncertain for the majority of the half.

I'm glad Herdman left him in until halftime, if there had been more on the line he might have yanked him after 30 minutes which wouldn't have been good for his psyche.

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Mark Anthony Kaye was dreadful against the US.  Kone made a terrible pass early on in the game close to our goal.  It's pretty tough for a kid to perform when your heart rate jumps 30 beats per minute and you're playing scared.   That's what he look liked for the next 20 minutes.  A deer in headlights.  Slow to move the ball afraid to make another mistake.  His last 10 minutes were his best 10 minutes.  He actually had  a few nice touches and was slowly settling into the game. 

If he hadn't trained well, he wouldn't have got the opportunity.  It's not that he's not capable of moving the ball quicker and taking guys on.  He simply let the moment get to him and he had a bad half.  It happens to young players.  I hope they throw him right back on that horse come nations league and give him some more opportunities.  

I have no doubt he will shine with his club, because the kid has talent.

Edited by prairiecanuck

11 hours ago, VinceA said:

Thinking back to the losses against Haiti and the US I can think of at least 2 or 3 other players with worse performances. 

For me Godinho in that Haiti game is up there.

Patrick Leduc at the 2005 Gold Cup looked pretty out of his depth and never played again for the NT after that.

2 hours ago, Francois79 said:

Let's all just relax, the kid has talent, he didn't play his best for his first start with canmt. He's part of our future, let him get more experience playing in Montreal and he could be a much better player comes November. 

Well said. People need to relax. He is super raw. Give him time. Also, with huge amounts of new people watching our national team and jumping on the train, over reactions and hot takes are to be expected. Unfortunately that is a byproduct of a successful program

.....and we have one :)

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

One poor half of footy in a high pressure situation doesn’t diminish the fact that this kid is really talented.  I am not sure he is still in Montreal this time next year.  

Hey you've been around here long enough to know that we are all a bit dysfunctional.  Kone called to CMNT ....yes reminds me of Pogba/Toure/young Atiba....starts v Panama...he was awful/banished from Qatar after 1/2 game.... just normal V behaviour