Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes it is a shame there are not enough games for all these quality mids to play heavy minutes but with all due respect I am not sure any of these midfielders have the X factor Kone has. The downside of course is that Kone needs to prove he can be consistent, which he hasn't yet done in his young career. On balance, I think Kone will start games, be it due to injury, reward or tactics.

Where I agree is that I don't see him grabbing a starting spot and holding onto it indefinitely, at least this season. Nor does he have to. That's the beauty of playing with a club like this in a moment like this. 

I think the Dane and maybe Kondogbia will be the ones who are most locked in but even they will need rest. I see all of these guys rotating and Kone will get his share of minutes and share of starts, I believe.

I think your assessment is right- although I think that Rabiot will start ahead of Kondogobia, but I think Marseille see Kone as a bit more of an AM than CM which bodes very well for us. I think if he steals anyone’s starting spot it would be Harit, though he’s had a very good start to his season. I think Marseille eventually want to get into a place where behind their striker, it’s Henrique-Kone-Greenwood. As we all know with Kone, there’s going to be some moment this year where he has a game completely out of this world, looking like one of the best mids in Europe, and that’ll likely get him a string of more consistent minutes. 

Just now, sebdeserio said:

OM fans seem to think he might be able to wrestle significant minutes from Harit. He'd never be competing for minutes with Kondogbia as he's a pure defensive mid now. Before Rabiot the starting mid looked like it was gonna be Harit Kondogbia and Hojbjerg with Kone having a real chance of taking over from Harit but it'll be harder now.

I figured that the plan was to have Højbjerg as the Dm and have Kone play as a pivot, figured that the DM-AM-DM mid 3 was by virtue of roster not strategy moving forward, but you may be right. Doesn’t Rabiot play as a pure CM? I would think he’ll take Kondigobia’s spot, not Harit.

53 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think your assessment is right- although I think that Rabiot will start ahead of Kondogobia, but I think Marseille see Kone as a bit more of an AM than CM which bodes very well for us. I think if he steals anyone’s starting spot it would be Harit, though he’s had a very good start to his season. I think Marseille eventually want to get into a place where behind their striker, it’s Henrique-Kone-Greenwood. As we all know with Kone, there’s going to be some moment this year where he has a game completely out of this world, looking like one of the best mids in Europe, and that’ll likely get him a string of more consistent minutes. 

I figured that the plan was to have Højbjerg as the Dm and have Kone play as a pivot, figured that the DM-AM-DM mid 3 was by virtue of roster not strategy moving forward, but you may be right. Doesn’t Rabiot play as a pure CM? I would think he’ll take Kondigobia’s spot, not Harit.

I was gonna say the same thing about Harit. Not sure if he "steals his spot" per se, although it could happen. As you said, Harit is obviously a top player. I think Marseille now has two guys who can play that role, each with a somewhat different profile, so it's strength in numbers now for them.

Rabiot I think could earn minutes from Kondogbia but he's joining late, so he will be playing a bit of catch up, and supposedly his form hasn't been great, so it remains to be seen how fast he will "win" a spot from Kondogbia. It's the same as the Kone vs Harit situation in that Marseille have reinforced the squad with strong players and a new coach that will let competition brew as opposed to having pre-defined favourites like an incumbent coach would.