Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes it is a shame there are not enough games for all these quality mids to play heavy minutes but with all due respect I am not sure any of these midfielders have the X factor Kone has. The downside of course is that Kone needs to prove he can be consistent, which he hasn't yet done in his young career. On balance, I think Kone will start games, be it due to injury, reward or tactics.

Where I agree is that I don't see him grabbing a starting spot and holding onto it indefinitely, at least this season. Nor does he have to. That's the beauty of playing with a club like this in a moment like this. 

I think the Dane and maybe Kondogbia will be the ones who are most locked in but even they will need rest. I see all of these guys rotating and Kone will get his share of minutes and share of starts, I believe.

I think your assessment is right- although I think that Rabiot will start ahead of Kondogobia, but I think Marseille see Kone as a bit more of an AM than CM which bodes very well for us. I think if he steals anyone’s starting spot it would be Harit, though he’s had a very good start to his season. I think Marseille eventually want to get into a place where behind their striker, it’s Henrique-Kone-Greenwood. As we all know with Kone, there’s going to be some moment this year where he has a game completely out of this world, looking like one of the best mids in Europe, and that’ll likely get him a string of more consistent minutes. 

Just now, sebdeserio said:

OM fans seem to think he might be able to wrestle significant minutes from Harit. He'd never be competing for minutes with Kondogbia as he's a pure defensive mid now. Before Rabiot the starting mid looked like it was gonna be Harit Kondogbia and Hojbjerg with Kone having a real chance of taking over from Harit but it'll be harder now.

I figured that the plan was to have Højbjerg as the Dm and have Kone play as a pivot, figured that the DM-AM-DM mid 3 was by virtue of roster not strategy moving forward, but you may be right. Doesn’t Rabiot play as a pure CM? I would think he’ll take Kondigobia’s spot, not Harit.

53 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think your assessment is right- although I think that Rabiot will start ahead of Kondogobia, but I think Marseille see Kone as a bit more of an AM than CM which bodes very well for us. I think if he steals anyone’s starting spot it would be Harit, though he’s had a very good start to his season. I think Marseille eventually want to get into a place where behind their striker, it’s Henrique-Kone-Greenwood. As we all know with Kone, there’s going to be some moment this year where he has a game completely out of this world, looking like one of the best mids in Europe, and that’ll likely get him a string of more consistent minutes. 

I figured that the plan was to have Højbjerg as the Dm and have Kone play as a pivot, figured that the DM-AM-DM mid 3 was by virtue of roster not strategy moving forward, but you may be right. Doesn’t Rabiot play as a pure CM? I would think he’ll take Kondigobia’s spot, not Harit.

I was gonna say the same thing about Harit. Not sure if he "steals his spot" per se, although it could happen. As you said, Harit is obviously a top player. I think Marseille now has two guys who can play that role, each with a somewhat different profile, so it's strength in numbers now for them.

Rabiot I think could earn minutes from Kondogbia but he's joining late, so he will be playing a bit of catch up, and supposedly his form hasn't been great, so it remains to be seen how fast he will "win" a spot from Kondogbia. It's the same as the Kone vs Harit situation in that Marseille have reinforced the squad with strong players and a new coach that will let competition brew as opposed to having pre-defined favourites like an incumbent coach would.

I don’t think Kone looked very great this afternoon. Lost the ball quite often, made errant passes. Made a few nice runs, but not too much going on for him today. They did sub out Amine after the red and then too Wahi off after the half so he had a lot of ground to take responsibility for, but still. I don’t think he did anything worth gluing him to the bench, but he should look a lot better once he gets more settled in.

Trying to figure out if Kone was on the field for the first OM goal. The apps say he was subbed off right before, though they announced it on the broadcast after the goal and he was celebrating with the players in his game jersey/no track suit right after so not sure.

Also, every time they mentioned his teammate Pol Lirola I kept hearing “Holy Roller”. Good nickname if he ever plays in North America. 

I did not watch the match, but I scrolled through some of the french Kone mentions on X by OM fans after. There seemed to be two general thoughts that prevailed. The first was the Kone appeared to have a stretch of poor touches and that he was needlessly giving away possession and that he needed to be better technically. The second was that he gave an impression of creativity and possibility when he had the ball, in a way that perhaps some other/previous Marseille players did not.

He’s gotten much better since and it’s still very early, but I feel like the reactions towards Kone are so different compared to with Watford. Whereas their fans were ready to send him to the second division of Pluto after one bad game, most OM fans seem to know that he had a tough time out there but he’ll figure it all out. The vibes at Watford were a million times more cursed than the great vibes at Marseille, but their fans seem a lot more reasonable about him than Watford’s.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s gotten much better since and it’s still very early, but I feel like the reactions towards Kone are so different compared to with Watford. Whereas their fans were ready to send him to the second division of Pluto after one bad game, most OM fans seem to know that he had a tough time out there but he’ll figure it all out. The vibes at Watford were a million times more cursed than the great vibes at Marseille, but their fans seem a lot more reasonable about him than Watford’s.

I guess that's because Marseille can go nowhere but up after the season they had (8th). For a club like that is basically doesn't get worse, so making a ton of great signings, great coach, and legitimately fighting with PSG? Of course everything is good right now.

Watford were relegated from the EPL and went from legitimately fighting to get back, to being dragged into the thick of the Championship, so they are trending down as a club, Marseille trending back up.

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I guess that's because Marseille can go nowhere but up after the season they had (8th). For a club like that is basically doesn't get worse, so making a ton of great signings, great coach, and legitimately fighting with PSG? Of course everything is good right now.

Watford were relegated from the EPL and went from legitimately fighting to get back, to being dragged into the thick of the Championship, so they are trending down as a club, Marseille trending back up.

Yeah, I mean, watching Watford was really depressing- club going nowhere, everyone playing for a transfer, no shot at promotion- obviously you look at your expensive acquisition and you start pointing the finger, especially knowing he’s trying to leave asap. Marseille is rolling so easily that even if Kone takes a bit of extra time, they’re still going somewhere and they have something to offer him if/when he does become one of their top players. Difference in vibes for sure. 

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, I mean, watching Watford was really depressing- club going nowhere, everyone playing for a transfer, no shot at promotion- obviously you look at your expensive acquisition and you start pointing the finger, especially knowing he’s trying to leave asap. Marseille is rolling so easily that even if Kone takes a bit of extra time, they’re still going somewhere and they have something to offer him if/when he does become one of their top players. Difference in vibes for sure. 

It's also only been a few games for him at Marseille, vs a season at Watford. I don't think the Watford fans started out negative towards him either.

19 hours ago, kohanz said:

I did not watch the match, but I scrolled through some of the french Kone mentions on X by OM fans after. There seemed to be two general thoughts that prevailed. The first was the Kone appeared to have a stretch of poor touches and that he was needlessly giving away possession and that he needed to be better technically. The second was that he gave an impression of creativity and possibility when he had the ball, in a way that perhaps some other/previous Marseille players did not.

Sounds exactly how he was in the recent stretch of games for Canada. Very hit or miss.

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's also only been a few games for him at Marseille, vs a season at Watford. I don't think the Watford fans started out negative towards him either.

No, they were pretty brutal early on. I kept an eye on their main message board, and he was constantly called out as a player no one knew why Watford paid so much for as he didn’t have the quality for England, championship was too high a level for him, he just didn’t have that extra gear, etc. Even when he hit his stride, the general attitude was like “okay so he’s finally doing what we thought he would do a year and a half ago, whatever”. 

I think there’s also a difference in perception between Watford buying a player from MLS- a *North American player* at that, and Marseille buying an ascendant francophone midfielder who has played well against the French national team. Apparently 51, his number, is the brand of a type of local digestif (?), so I think some fans instantly liked him for that too. 

99% of positive Twitter comments about Kone last season were from people with Canada flags in their display name. This year, it’s only like 80%.