Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

On 9/11/2024 at 3:08 PM, InglewoodJack said:

I would be more inclined to feel this way if I had any previous attachment to Marseille- I like their colours, like buying shirts, and I follow the clubs our players play for, but if Kone and Cornelius both leave after this season, I doubt I’ll follow much Marseille until they bring in their next Canadian. If they were my boyhood club, I’d probably feel a bit more conflicted, but following our national team, I have the privilege of hoping that they do well enough to showcase our players for their next big move, but I can still criticize them for signing some of the world’s more detestable players. 

Marseille was pretty well always my team in France, and mostly still is. I also like Saint Etienne for its history and lore. A lot of my club choices were based on what I already did by choosing Liverpool in the 70s: not a team from the capital, the periphery over the centre, a bit of counterplay in terms of economic and political power. Making it easy to come to Barcelona and despise Madrid. Oporto over Benfica, Marseille and not PSG. Then I had friends in Marseille, living and working, I've been many times, worked there, partied there. I still remember the anti-Paris logos you'd see at La Pouce, the flea market, on shirts around the city; I also happened to be there the day and aftermath of the England-Tunisia match leading to major street battles in the old port in 1998, though I did not go to the game. 

What soured many of us was the Bernard Tapie corruption scandal, after they'd won the European Cup in 1993 (in fact they match-fixed their lead-up league games to have the team ready for that final). Apart from that hurting the team, cutting short its momentum, and leaving a gap that others came along to fill--I did not mind Lyon coming in, but not so much Monaco, PSG, fabricated teams with top-down concepts of club identity.

Finally, I think if you made a list, Greenwood would be one amongst maybe 50-100 undesirables. There are similar and even worse cases happening in lower tiers you maybe don't hear about too much. Right now we have Rafa Mir the Valencia player separated from the team pending after an accusation, last year Santi Mina was sentenced for sexual assault, a Celta player.

On 9/10/2024 at 2:50 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Former rumoured Canadian dual national Wahi did some [REDACTED- check his wiki page] stuff, and Harit did vehicular manslaughter. 3 of their front 4!!! 

It’s a shame too, because I really like the Marseille shirt and would love to wear it- it’s such an iconic shirt and I’ve wanted a French club shirt for a bit- I don’t like the Nice colours and LOSC is, well, LOSC, so Marseille would’ve been a great purchase, but they’re going to be less known this year for their future top 10 CM in the world: and more famous for the little shit from Man U who’s probably going to score 35 goals and end up signing for Madrid for like €100M in 18 months. 

I would recommend some strong Wikipedia scepticism on Wahi.

We were linked with him a couple years ago, so I did some reading then. The supposed second part of the school incident was never of a part the discpline committee minutes and a ton of Romain Molina's stories in his infamous "dossier" have no documentation for their most salacious parts. 

Nothing legal came from alledged violence incident. (I do acknowledge you can say the same for Greenwood.)

Just saying, maybe don't take everything at primia facia. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

13 hours ago, lowlander said:

the Athletic is saying that Rabiot is joining Marseille. Will that affect Kone’s minutes?

Was just going to post that too. Agree it's a huge signing, though a lot of pundits are saying he's gotten worse, is overrated... He's also halved his previous salary to go to Marseille. At 29 he's still got a few good years, though I agree Kone will still get minutes, maybe less than previously imagined. 

Going to be interesting to watch who might challenge PSG with a notably inferior roster, if Marseille emerges as the clear candidate, and a good challenge for Luis Enrique to keep the trophy. 

5 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

Ismael Koné is learning from:

-Adrien Rabiot 

-Pierre-Emile Højberg

-Geoffrey Kondogbia

-Valentin Rongier

👍

Well put, it is another level. 

Then the team is really being built to dethrone PSG, which is also a very ambitious environment and should give him Champions League football for next season.

Watched his former Watford teammate Asprilla for Girona yesterday, was a sub, was very good, Girona lost badly but he showed a lot of potential and character.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

He will definitely be a sub moving forward, OM plays with 2 midfielders, 3 if you count the AM. Don’t think that means he won’t play at all though- despite how much cash they’ve flashed this year I doubt you pay €11M (?) for a player that you banish from the lineup after having only played like 30 minutes or so. 

I think we will see a mix of him being a starter and a sub, like at Watford, but probably he will be a sub in the early stages and maybe a starter later on if he does well. Kone has enormous potential but there is no reason for Marseille to overplay him. He's one of many weapons the club has at it's disposal and like @Unnamed Trialist said, this club is being built to take on PSG, which I hope they can dethrone. Forget the club name, any team going toe-to-toe over the course of the Ligue 1 season is top notch and it'll be a privilege to have not one but two of our players in that environment.

I hope that Rabiot joins. More competition but another player to make the team stronger and more competitive to challenge PSG and more likely to qualify straight into Champions League next year, which benefits Kone and Cornelius.

Who knows, perhaps if Bombito shines at Nice they'll add him to Marseille as well. I know it's too early to talk about Moise leaving when he just arrived but we know what his ceiling is. If he reaches his potential he won't be at Nice for long.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think we will see a mix of him being a starter and a sub, like at Watford, but probably he will be a sub in the early stages and maybe a starter later on if he does well. Kone has enormous potential but there is no reason for Marseille to overplay him. He's one of many weapons the club has at it's disposal and like @Unnamed Trialist said, this club is being built to take on PSG, which I hope they can dethrone. Forget the club name, any team going toe-to-toe over the course of the Ligue 1 season is top notch and it'll be a privilege to have not one but two of our players in that environment.

I hope that Rabiot joins. More competition but another player to make the team stronger and more competitive to challenge PSG and more likely to qualify straight into Champions League next year, which benefits Kone and Cornelius.

Who knows, perhaps if Bombito shines at Nice they'll add him to Marseille as well. I know it's too early to talk about Moise leaving when he just arrived but we know what his ceiling is. If he reaches his potential he won't be at Nice for long.

I think he will only start when there are injuries- I can’t see him supplanting players like Harit or Rabiot, both who start for very strong national teams. I would prefer he had less competition; OM are already absolutely rolling without Rabiot, and you consider Kondigobia too who is very good- they have a lot of very good mids and very few minutes to play them all, especially without any European ball on the calendar this season.

That said, RDZ already came out and said recently he sees Kone as a central part of the club’s future and also that he’s a player he can play at the 8 or the 10, so I don’t think this is an indictment on Kone or a threat to the long term plan, I had hoped that he could fight for a starting spot and play a year as a starting midfielder at a club that may win the title. I would take consistent starting minutes in his first year over a bit of extra veteran guidance and a better chance at winning the league, but regardless, his club situation is very good, and I would hope that like at Watford, he turns that corner in his second season, takes another leap and doesn’t look back.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think he will only start when there are injuries- I can’t see him supplanting players like Harit or Rabiot, both who start for very strong national teams. I would prefer he had less competition; OM are already absolutely rolling without Rabiot, and you consider Kondigobia too who is very good- they have a lot of very good mids and very few minutes to play them all, especially without any European ball on the calendar this season.

That said, RDZ already came out and said recently he sees Kone as a central part of the club’s future and also that he’s a player he can play at the 8 or the 10, so I don’t think this is an indictment on Kone or a threat to the long term plan, I had hoped that he could fight for a starting spot and play a year as a starting midfielder at a club that may win the title. I would take consistent starting minutes in his first year over a bit of extra veteran guidance and a better chance at winning the league, but regardless, his club situation is very good, and I would hope that like at Watford, he turns that corner in his second season, takes another leap and doesn’t look back.

Yes it is a shame there are not enough games for all these quality mids to play heavy minutes but with all due respect I am not sure any of these midfielders have the X factor Kone has. The downside of course is that Kone needs to prove he can be consistent, which he hasn't yet done in his young career. On balance, I think Kone will start games, be it due to injury, reward or tactics.

Where I agree is that I don't see him grabbing a starting spot and holding onto it indefinitely, at least this season. Nor does he have to. That's the beauty of playing with a club like this in a moment like this. 

I think the Dane and maybe Kondogbia will be the ones who are most locked in but even they will need rest. I see all of these guys rotating and Kone will get his share of minutes and share of starts, I believe.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes it is a shame there are not enough games for all these quality mids to play heavy minutes but with all due respect I am not sure any of these midfielders have the X factor Kone has. The downside of course is that Kone needs to prove he can be consistent, which he hasn't yet done in his young career. On balance, I think Kone will start games, be it due to injury, reward or tactics.

Where I agree is that I don't see him grabbing a starting spot and holding onto it indefinitely, at least this season. Nor does he have to. That's the beauty of playing with a club like this in a moment like this. 

I think the Dane and maybe Kondogbia will be the ones who are most locked in but even they will need rest. I see all of these guys rotating and Kone will get his share of minutes and share of starts, I believe.

Wow I got a double thanks for that one, appreciate it @ahmedou!

Screenshot_20240916-104521.png

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

OM fans seem to think he might be able to wrestle significant minutes from Harit. He'd never be competing for minutes with Kondogbia as he's a pure defensive mid now. Before Rabiot the starting mid looked like it was gonna be Harit Kondogbia and Hojbjerg with Kone having a real chance of taking over from Harit but it'll be harder to lock down a place in the 11 week in week out now.

Edited by sebdeserio