Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

23 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I know that, but since he played at NDG before that, I figured he was based somewhere in the west end of the city. Whenever someone mentions where our guys are from, they always note that Kone and Bombito are VSL guys. This is the first I’ve heard that he’s from Parc Ex. 

From what I read I also was under the impression he grew up in NDG.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Spectacular atmosphere at their stadium in Marseille in support of Morocco in the Olympic semis, that was the most dominant fan presence of any country in the entire games I'd say. And very festive, remined me a bit of the Copa crowds, credit to them.

It’s so easy to cheer for Morocco when Canada isn’t involved. Same for any of the North African countries. Wonderful support and really good teams, it’s just a shame when we’re on the other end of it or losing a player to them or whatever. 

Just had this thought:

With Canada currently having 4 players in Ligue 1, and soon possibly a 5th if Bombito moves, could the top flight French league become a regular destination for Canadians? David, Kone, Bair, and even Cornelius all speak French to varying degrees. We Canadians mostly if not completely familiar with the language, perhaps making it a relatively easy transition. The easiest transition would be England, culturally speaking, but that's basically the top league in the world, it'll be a long time before the bulk of our European players were there, but France? The barrier to entry isn't the same, but it's still a very good league and a top 5 league.

Maybe we are entering a future where we always have 5, 6, or 7 players in Ligue 1? That would be great!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Just had this thought:

With Canada currently having 4 players in Ligue 1, and soon possibly a 5th if Bombito moves, could the top flight French league become a regular destination for Canadians? David, Kone, Bair, and even Cornelius all speak French to varying degrees. We Canadians mostly if not completely familiar with the language, perhaps making it a relatively easy transition. The easiest transition would be England, culturally speaking, but that's basically the top league in the world, it'll be a long time before the bulk of our European players were there, but France? The barrier to entry isn't the same, but it's still a very good league and a top 5 league.

Maybe we are entering a future where we always have 5, 6, or 7 players in Ligue 1? That would be great!

I'll take it considering a very short while ago we were ecstatic about someone going to Belgium.

Hard to project us having a consistent roster of multiple players in France forever, but we’re an obvious scouting ground for ligue 1 clubs. The language is definitely a factor, and I believe that players with African and Caribbean passports are eligible for domestic status just like Spain, meaning many of our best players can more easily fit within their rosters. Not to mention, their budgets are smaller compared to other top leagues, so they need to find these “hidden” gems they can purchase on a discount. Kone, if he was French, for example, would easily be worth double. 

I don’t see a reason why every Ligue 1 team shouldn’t have a scout permanently based out of Montreal. You could probably purchase Nathan Saliba for less than €2M today, and if he flops, big deal. There are others like him too, not just in Montreal, but across Canada. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

.....Maybe we are entering a future where we always have 5, 6, or 7 players in Ligue 1? That would be great!

We got to keep the pipeline going though. More investment in scouting & development for youth players at every level of the pyramid.

Just now, Kadenge said:

We got to keep the pipeline going though. More investment in scouting & development for youth players at every level of the pyramid.

This is where a CPL team in Quebec would really be instrumental. Weren't there rumours some time ago that a Ligue 1 team wanted to set up an Atletico-like set up in the province? Lyon perhaps?

Farm team or not, Quebec has so much talent that a pipeline to the French pyramid is definitely possible. Abzi did it via York, just imagine now if the next generation never had to leave the province to play CPL..

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Weren't there rumours some time ago that a Ligue 1 team wanted to set up an Atletico-like set up in the province? Lyon perhaps?

Honestly, this may be the only way to get a CPL club in Quebec, given  it hasn't happened through local investment. Alternatively the creation of an academy funded by a Ligue 1 club, where it's free to play.