Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

56 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Koné had a bad game against Argentina and it’s time to give Choinière a start. I don’t think we are at the point where Koné is an automatic starter.

He did have a poor game but in my eyes, you're breaking trust if the first time a player has a poor game you pull them for someone who didn't even come off the bench. I think he's earned a lot more than.

I'd add that he was frustrated with himself too, so its not like he would disagree with the assessment. I'd put my trust in him to rebound!

37 minutes ago, kingvikingstad said:

I'd add that he was frustrated with himself too, so its not like he would disagree with the assessment. I'd put my trust in him to rebound!

Yup,  could see he was pissed with his performance. Players are human. The Atlanta Messi circus and their supporters may have had an impact on Kone. After his master performance vs France he probably felt pressure to replicate it and ended up forcing things. It happens. Keep in mind he was the youngest player on the field. I have no doubt he will rebound in our next game 

1 hour ago, gator said:

That's what is a little bewidering about last night, he had arguably his best match in a Canada shirt vs the #2 team in the world, I expected him to just carry on from there! I don't think he was overwhelmed by the occasion last night, I think it may have just been a bad day at the office, all players have them! 

I'm going with he was completely overwhelmed by the occasion.  That's over the top but you get the idea.  Just feels that way to me because of what he was doing that was giving me a brain tumor.  He seemed off script in his movements at times, hesitant at others, and so wasteful with the ball.  Against Argentina of all teams to-boot.  Ug.

It wasn't all bad out there.  He'll bounce back I think, instantly.  The touney has started, he's been bloodied up a bit, now maybe he'll be able to put all this spotlight/big transfer move business out of his head and get on with the footballing in front of him.  Tomorrow can take care of itself.

Zen Cheeta. 

P.S.  If I was JM any changes I'd have in mind for Peru wouldn't involve Kone.    

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

We look at it and lament he had a poor game with so many cheap giveaways.  But the typical big time manager might not see it that way, a championship player against all the top 5 league guys on Arg would be a mismatch most times eh?  I dont think that performance  gets him a big transfer, but it prob doesnt hurt him as much as we might think it does.  

I think it's insane that his own fanbase is crucifying him as much as they are.

There is no one else who has Kone's potential.  I didn't think Kone's problems last night were entirely self-inflicted...they were due to the pressure Argentina put on him, plus the formation Canada plays where he has outsized responsibilities.  Maybe some unforced mistakes...but in a situation where it makes sense, nobody but the goalkeeper and the centre-backs were under more pressure to perform at a high level, every touch.

And I also don't see any replacement doing nearly as well as he can.  Even with Kone's biggest mistakes...Piette would have been absolute fodder...is there a part of the fanbase that insist Choniere, or someone else, would have been superior, against that pressure?  

I have zero issues with Kone continuing  to start, and also finish, Cope matches.  If coaches do otherwise, that would be very surprising.

3 minutes ago, eramosat said:

There is no one else who has Kone's potential.  I didn't think Kone's problems last night were entirely self-inflicted...they were due to the pressure Argentina put on him, plus the formation Canada plays where he has outsized responsibilities.  Maybe some unforced mistakes...but in a situation where it makes sense, nobody but the goalkeeper and the centre-backs were under more pressure to perform at a high level, every touch.

And I also don't see any replacement doing nearly as well as he can.  Even with Kone's biggest mistakes...Piette would have been absolute fodder...is there a part of the fanbase that insist Choniere, or someone else, would have been superior, against that pressure?  

I have zero issues with Kone continuing  to start, and also finish, Cope matches.  If coaches do otherwise, that would be very surprising.

100% correct in my opinion. My bigger worry is that he picks up another yellow vs Peru and we don't have him vs. Chile

38 minutes ago, eramosat said:

There is a difference between pointing out the painful giveaways and noting his sub-standard performance and calling for a change in the midfield.

I don't think Kone had a good game - he struggled with the simple things and gave the ball away a few times in bad situations.  But it was Argentina.  As you say, any other option for us would have been burned far more. 

He's a lock in our midfield now, and he's only going to get better.  I only want to see him on the bench if he's exhausted or injured.

1 hour ago, eramosat said:

There is no one else who has Kone's potential.

None of our other central midfielders have Koné’s potential. With that I agree 100%. But Choinière has much more professional experience and at the present time might be as good or better than Koné. Why not see what Choinière can do?

21 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

None of our other central midfielders have Koné’s potential. With that I agree 100%. But Choinière has much more professional experience and at the present time might be as good or better than Koné. Why not see what Choinière can do?

Because at present time he is not as good or better than koné

because the copa america is not the time to see what someone can do, thats for friendlies

Because he doesn't have that much more professional experience while kone has more international experience 

Edited by king1010

27 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

And how can you be sure of that?

If Marsch had that as a consideration he'd have started him over Kone in one of the friendlies and brought him in as a sub instead of Osorio vs Argentina. 

So even if you're right, making this change after a loss to Argentina, a couple games after arguably Kone's best game of his life, it just doesn't make any sense.

MAYBE (I wouldn't) you consider it in game three if you lose to Peru and Kone is again the worst player on the pitch.

11 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Yes,  we’ll run it back with the same starting 11 and give the boys a chance to find some joy.

I think so too. Also because it's not clear what the clear alternatives are. I'd love to be able to drop Larin and add a mid, Choinière or Osorio. Or find another way to make Tajon work. But Kone won't be changed the moment we have a rival where the model we've tried vs top teams has a chance at working vs a lesser rival.

Unless someone's really hurting of course.

You can see that Larin's timing is still off due to his club form, but  at least he's  getting into great scoring positions. He had 2 solid chances to score vs Argentina. I'm hoping he can break the ice vs Peru. Not a physical player but his big body should help. Probably early changes if we are not up by 60'

15 minutes ago, king1010 said:

pretty obvious that agents of canmnt players are leaking interest in their players during copa america to drive the prices up. i know he's pretty annoying sometimes but wheeler called this out on one of the onesoccer shows recently and i agree with him that it's distractions

13 minutes ago, saladroit said:

pretty obvious that agents of canmnt players are leaking interest in their players during copa america to drive the prices up. i know he's pretty annoying sometimes but wheeler called this out on one of the onesoccer shows recently and i agree with him that it's distractions

Tbf there’s a big difference between Scianatti versus Romano/Moretto tweeting this stuff 

3 hours ago, saladroit said:

If I had a nickel for every Jonathan David tweet over the years.....