Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My point was always that Kone is most like Toure

I guess the point about Kone is he has the ability to try be either but feels naturally more like a Toure. Strengths and weaknesses. 

But dude, all do respect, once again, you're going in circles. 

This is exactly what I was saying in the beginning of our chat.  Read below.  I specifically said he isn't naturally a Vieira type player and we'd be disappointed if that's what we're expecting.  

On 6/15/2024 at 12:50 PM, costarg said:

If you're using Patrick Viera to measure him, you might be disappointed.  

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Completely different point and not one I bothered with because I thought the label was pretty irrelevant.  Vieira played a defensive role often and he played box to box, just like Toure, but they did it in some very different ways. 

But you have a broken Google then: - from the first page of my results

While Vieira was excellent on the D side of the ball, labeling him a holding mid is just wrong.  You can pick articles that focus on his amazing defensive prowess, that does not take away from his complete game.  Player profile searches all list: complete midfielder, box-to-box, physical, graceful.....

Have a great day.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I specifically said he isn't naturally a Vieira type player and we'd be disappointed if that's what we're expecting. 

Yes  you began that way and I never argued with that because I didn't think that's exactly what he is or what he will be. I immediately pointed to the player he was more like. 

But then you spend 2 or 3 posts saying why he was like Viera and completely misremembering or mis-knowing what Toure was, a player who I and others think he is more like, again.  Right?

A note - "Holding" was the wrong world.  We tend to use it interchargeable with "defensive" now but there was no real "holding" role in a 2 man midfield.   I apologize. 

And again, I have no problems saying Viera was an amazing two-way player.  He was a better defensive midfielder than Toure, who was still good, when asked to play that role.  I was just poking fun at one of your "aha Google said so" by showing I could get Google results for defensive midfielder, if I wanted to.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

that does not take away from his complete game. 

I agree, I bet none of your articles say he was a bad defensive midfielder either. 

The point was that he does not need to be just like Viera to better be defensively and more physical both ways, even in a Toure way, by showing up and using what he has more often.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

But then you spend 2 or 3 posts saying why he was like Viera

I never said anything close to this.  I used Vieira as an example of a complete box-to-box player.  I wasn't comparing Kone to him, I specifically said he's isn't like Vieira.  Not sure how many times i need to write and show you the quotes.

I was just poking fun at one of your "aha Google said so" by showing I could get Google results for defensive midfielder, if I wanted to.

It's unfortunate, but I just haven't managed to find a way to communicate with you other than google and reposting quotes to explain/prove to you where you're mistaken and missing the point.  It all just goes in circles.

.I agree, I bet none of your articles say he was a bad defensive midfielder either. 

Who the hell said or suggested Vieira was a bad defensive midfielder?  I specifically said he was a dominant two-way player.  

I'm done man, not gonna keep showing and explaining what you misunderstood.  Have a great day.

21 hours ago, costarg said:

Where as Viera looked like he was gliding, a lot like Kone.  I could be totally off, but that's how i remember it.

16 hours ago, costarg said:

But I do find Viera had more of a glide and smoothness to his gait compared to Toure.  Which is what I see when watching Kone.

Also you: I never said Kone was like Viera

Come on, mate 

Also have a great day, happy googling.

47 minutes ago, costarg said:

You're right, I compared their running style with the ball, I also said I hope he develops the D side to match Vieira.

It was your main point - in 2 or 3 posts - in response to me saying he was more like Toure than Vieira.  I can only judge your argument from the things you write down.  If you chose to use this multiple times, it is logical to think this is the strongest reason you think he was like Vieira. 

It is was flawed point because your idea of Toure was honestly wrong - so needed to be addressed.  

If you thought he was like Toure, say that. Instead, you spend your time telling how he and Viera were alike.  

But white flag up and trying to work this all back. (by my flawed understanding, of course)

I said he needed work in bringing all he had, specifically using his physicality, more often, preferable every game. 

You said he wasn't going to be natural physical like say Vieira. 

I ignored the name - honestly because I agreed and brought in Toure, because that is the kind of physicality I can see coming from him.

You then told me things I knew were incorrect about Toure and said Kone was like Viera - specifically in run style - which was important to me because it was a trademark of Toure and a huge reason why people have compared Kone to him.  (Your bulldozer would be Michail Antonio for me.)

(Vision, range shouting and very good passing, when they chose to use it, would be other positive similarities to Toure I already see in Kone)  

I made an anachronistic mistake in talking about position. Again sorry. But that whole discussion was not that important - to me - because of the different eras and labels. I am also sorry we got into weeds because of that.

If I made a massively reductive comment, I would say while both were great going both way, while using their physicality,  Vieira was better defensive  and Toure was better offensively. But both players filled a lot of roles over long careers, even just going by the parts that I saw. 

Whoever Kone wants to be, he needs bring physicality more often. We see he did it the France game. For instance, even when he got caught on the ball a bit, he bodied off would-be tacklers coming beside him.  That looked just like Toure to me.  Toure said he had to bulk up to do that game in, game out in the Premier League specifically. 

Maybe Kone does not play there and does not need to but it does show when he does not bring his physicality in the Championship sometimes.   

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

19 minutes ago, kacbru said:

How about this? Toure and Viera are similar, but also different. Kone might be like Toure, but he also might be like Viera. But at the end of the day, Kone plays in the midfield. 

Apologies for paraphrasing another poster. 

I guess the good news is we can mention him in the same breath and not be completely laughed out of the room.

And he is younger than either of them at their best. 

5 hours ago, kacbru said:

How about this? Toure and Viera are similar, but also different. Kone might be like Toure, but he also might be like Viera. But at the end of the day, Kone plays in the midfield. 

Apologies for paraphrasing another poster. 

Are you sure you wanna have this discussion with us?

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Always meant to ask you whether your username connected to Victor Obinna at all.

He was at West Ham on loan for a year (?) but probably a common name for all I know.

It's a pretty common name. It pays homage to a number of Nigerian players, actually.

Joel Obi was another "Obi" I always liked, but he really didn't reach his potential, unfortunately.

nna is often paired with Obi, but not always. I have a cousin Obi, but the ending is ajulu.