Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me he was very good but still has some major improvements to make. He doesn't have his pass in his head when he gets the ball. He does not fully combine passing with those around him, he isolates himself. He sems to be more reactive than proactive. He has great runs into space but doesn't release when its time. 

His role isn't that clearly defined either but that's on his coaches: DM, CM, AM?

He clearly needs a step up in team and coaching, and maybe playing beside quality mids, to fix a few things to raise his game. He can't be "good for his age" for much longer.

Overegging the pudding a bit in your first paragraph. 

One of our best (few) chances against the Netherlands came from his pass.  Yesterday, he was on par or better in number of passes with everyone but Eustaquio and the centre backs.  And his accuracy was still well above 90%.

Not bad for a Championship player 😉.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

24 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

One of our best (few) chances against the Netherlands came from his pass.  Yesterday, he was on par or better in number of passes with everyone but Eustaquio and the centre backs.  And his accuracy was still well above 90%.

You just have to watch him, not go digging around for metrics.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You just have to watch him, not go digging around for metrics.

Pretty standard thing to say when they argue strongly against your point.😄

I did watch him. He was not caught on the ball often, certainly less than some of our other, higher league attackers and when he was, he had the strength to push out of it.  If he was actually isolating himself, he would  either lose the ball a lot (didn't) or be forced into bad passes (didn't).   

Reactive vs. proactive - We were playing with 2 midfielders.  A lot of the time, he needed proactively push out into space before making a good pass or at least the safe pass because he was against 2 very high level quick midfielders and Greizmann was hanging around at times.  A reactive choice is to always try the pass. 

The fact that we had 89% passing, when we have been killed by bad passes at times, is one of the big reasons we kept things as tight as they were.  He was a big part of that. 

For me, MOTM vs France and his best performance yet for Canada. Loved seeing him out-dual Camavinga and consistently be an outlet with his powerful dribbling. Relieved a lot of pressure for us in that regard. I have to give credit to both him and Eustaquio for playing France’s midfield to basically a stand-still. 

big summer ahead for him, I gather. The commentators seem to think he’ll be on the move. Looks like his contract is up in 2027, FWIW. In any case, if he can find consistency performing like this, he’s capable of levelling up. 

11 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The entire team had 89% passing accuracy. They didn't press us and we didn't play high risk passes, just the opposite, we back-passed and side to side a lot. Giving us 48% possession and three scoring chances. 

For the life of me I don't see Kone in synch with anyone else on the pitch. I mean, Staq-Kone, is that a duo you identify?

1 hour ago, FC_Hali said:

For me, MOTM vs France and his best performance yet for Canada. Loved seeing him out-dual Camavinga and consistently be an outlet with his powerful dribbling. Relieved a lot of pressure for us in that regard. I have to give credit to both him and Eustaquio for playing France’s midfield to basically a stand-still. 

big summer ahead for him, I gather. The commentators seem to think he’ll be on the move. Looks like his contract is up in 2027, FWIW. In any case, if he can find consistency performing like this, he’s capable of levelling up. 

If he has a good Copa America tournament, then I can see more offers coming in for him

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The entire team had 89% passing accuracy. They didn't press us and we didn't play high risk passes, just the opposite, we back-passed and side to side a lot. Giving us 48% possession and three scoring chances. 

For the life of me I don't see Kone in synch with anyone else on the pitch. I mean, Staq-Kone, is that a duo you identify?

Honestly really strange take, like your  heading isn't a part of modern football.

You are trying to tell me because he passed the ball well and often, as part of an overall good passing performance that indicates he is  not "in sync with anyone else on the pitch?"

Seems to absolutely counter logic.

As I covered:  If that was the case, he would have given the ball away a lot and he didn't. I didn't see it and the stats don't reflect that.

He wasn't locked in place with Eustaquio.  Is that what you mean? He had some good movement and passes in the final third while Eustaquio held back more.  But that is by design, no?

He made one of better chances we had, into  Larin with a pass from the side of the box, in one of those spells. 

He had the through ball for David whose shot was blocked.

The quick ball over the top for Tajon, who was offside.

Again not sure anyone else saw what you are seeing.  Maybe some examples?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

30 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Honestly really strange take, like your  heading isn't a part of modern football.

You are trying to tell me because he passed the ball well and often, as part of an overall good passing performance that indicates he is  not "in sync with anyone else on the pitch?"

Seems to absolutely counter logic.

As I covered:  If that was the case, he would have given the ball away a lot and he didn't. I didn't see it and the stats don't reflect that.

He wasn't locked in place with Eustaquio.  Is that what you mean? He had some good movement and passes in the final third while Eustaquio held back more.  But that is by design, no?

He made one of better chances we had, into  Larin with a pass from the side of the box, in one of those spells. 

He had the through ball for David whose shot was blocked.

The quick ball over the top for Tajon, who was offside.

Again not sure anyone else saw what you are seeing.  Maybe some examples?

Geez you cite metrics and I say naa....I cite metrics to humour you and you say naa...you keep bouncing back and forth. But at least you analyzed his play and not his metrics with that post. 

The video above shows he was really good and I think better than I thought while watching live. As was the entire team. And he was better vs France than vs Holland. As was the team. Name one player who was better vs the Dutch.

Anyways, he obviously deserves a step up in club play to develop further. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Geez you cite metrics and I say naa....I cite metrics to humour you and you say naa...you keep bouncing back and forth. But at least you analyzed his play and not his metrics with that post. 

The video above shows he was really good and I think better than I thought while watching live. As was the entire team. And he was better vs France than vs Holland. As was the team. Name one player who was better vs the Dutch.

Anyways, he obviously deserves a step up in club play to develop further. 

Probably easier to just say you were mistaken next time.

I had fun with the circular argue the  argument technique too in academia but not a lot of point here.

I never said "naaa"  to any metric. I said they showed the opposite of your point.

Ie. Even the ones you accepted, showed he had a good passing game as part of a team passing performance - he was not  isolating himself.

You seemed sceptical of stats, so I added some passages of play to my argument and asked for the same from you. You then conceded.

Yes he does need a better situation.

Do you think Barcelona is good enough for him?  They only averaged 87% passing again opposition mostly worse than France.

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Probably easier to just say you were mistaken next time.

I had fun with the circular argue the  argument technique too in academia but not a lot of point here.

I never said "naaa"  to any metric. I said they showed the opposite of your point.

Ie. Even the ones you accepted, showed he had a good passing game as part of a team passing performance - he was not  isolating himself.

You seemed sceptical of stats, so I added some passages of play to my argument and asked for the same from you. You then conceded.

Yes he does need a better situation.

Do you think Barcelona is good enough for him?  They only averaged 87% passing again opposition mostly worse than France.

Don't argue desperately, it's self demeaning. I've already said he needs to get out of Championship to develop and all my posts recognize his virtues. 

I so look forward to him upping his game. 

His development in all aspects...communication w. teammates, identifying proper plays before he receives the ball, taking his best up-field turn opportunities, and so on...should translate immediately to meaningfully improved performance for just about all of his teammates.

He's quite simply the biggest potential upgrade on the Canadian team right now.  Just by getting a bit better every once in a while.