Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

Roma could be a place where he can afford to be brought on slowly and eventually grow into a starting role, maybe in season 2.

I do think he would benefit from more games, so I wouldn't mind seeing another full championship season with Watford first, then move to Roma.

But that said, if you are Kone I think you have to move if Roma wants you. Kind of like Buchanan with Inter.

I kind of like the idea of Roma buying him and loaning him back to Watford, or even to Udinese, but the key to any loan is that he plays. If Roma buy him and keep him bring him on slowly though, I think I am relatively comfortable with that. 

Posted (edited)

It's a crazy question right now when it comes to our players not just Kone.. there has been a conversation in our house atm about where it would be better to goto a premier league team and be a squad player ..to have to fight to get playing time and hope for an opportunity and take advantage of it..or goto a top 3/4 Championship team looking to get promoted and be the main man(or one of them...

And yes there are both options atm...

I guess the point i'm making do you go to Roma and maybe not play loads of mins right away(ala Tajon) but be in an amazing enviroment and be surrounded by great players and take your chance or take a smaller step up to lets say Udinese and then take another step...

million dollar question..

Edited by spitfire

10 minutes ago, spitfire said:

It's a crazy question right now when it comes to our players not just Kone.. there has been a conversation in our house atm about where it would be better to goto a premier league team and be a squad player ..to have to fight to get playing time and hope for an opportunity and take advantage of it..or goto a top 3/4 Championship team looking to get promoted and be the main man(or one of them...

I guess the point i'm making do you go to Roma and maybe not play loads of mins right away(ala Tajon) but be in an amazing enviroment and be surrounded by great players and take your chance or take a smaller step up to lets say Udinese and then take another step...

It's a tough call with probably no right answer and probably comes down to the details of each specific opportunity, I suppose.

I will add that for Liam, I think it would depend on who the EPL clubs are. If it's a really big club with a realistic path to becoming a starter down the road, that's one thing, but if it's a smaller club at risk of going down, the Championship move could be better, maybe?  Then again though, if it's a smaller EPL club we are talking, Liam would probably get brought on more quickly than Kone would at Roma, so that would make it a different situation somewhat, and that could be gamble worth taking, because getting those EPL minutes in itself would be worth it perhaps, even if you do go down at the end of it. No Championship team is guaranteed promotion, so if there is a realistic chance to play decent EPL minutes, may be worth taking?

Again though, like you said million dollar question. Who the hell knows. One could endlessly go back and forth on it.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Got it. Btw, other than a stretch of games where he was on the bench Kone did start a lot of games for Watford. Keep in mind he had to deal with a  turnover of coaches this past season

Yeah, I also think one of the coaches was rotating players almost by the half quite a bit purposely to protect them. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It's a tough call with probably no right answer and probably comes down to the details of each specific opportunity, I suppose.

I will add that for Liam, I think it would depend on who the EPL clubs are. If it's a really big club with a realistic path to becoming a starter down the road, that's one thing, but if it's a smaller club at risk of going down, the Championship move could be better, maybe?  Then again though, if it's a smaller EPL club we are talking, Liam would probably get brought on more quickly than Kone would at Roma, so that would make it a different situation somewhat, and that could be gamble worth taking, because getting those EPL minutes in itself would be worth it perhaps, even if you do go down at the end of it. No Championship team is guaranteed promotion, so if there is a realistic chance to play decent EPL minutes, may be worth taking?

Again though, like you said million dollar question. Who the hell knows. One could endlessly go back and forth on it.

And of course, you can even be "the man" at a promoted side and still get replaced because the manager thinks they've found someone better for the next level.  

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

It's a crazy question right now when it comes to our players not just Kone.. 

Literally.

No stress.  None whatsoever.

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

Another part to that question that I'm sure you're also debating is the contract terms (i.e. $) being offered.  I would assume that the Premiership teams are offering something more substantial... ...and that would be very hard to walk away from too (at least in our house 😉). 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Roma could be a place where he can afford to be brought on slowly and eventually grow into a starting role, maybe in season 2.

I do think he would benefit from more games, so I wouldn't mind seeing another full championship season with Watford first, then move to Roma.

But that said, if you are Kone I think you have to move if Roma wants you. Kind of like Buchanan with Inter.

I kind of like the idea of Roma buying him and loaning him back to Watford, or even to Udinese, but the key to any loan is that he plays. If Roma buy him and keep him bring him on slowly though, I think I am relatively comfortable with that. 

Another important detail is the development side.  I think he could have developed more had he been on a stable team with a stable manager.  Watford has been all over the place since Kone got there, I don't think it's helping him.

Hearing Kone might go to Serie A and or that he could be going to Roma...if he does, then that's huge for Canada Soccer...yet another one of our players playing in a top flight league especially one as great as Serie A

19 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Possible career altering performance. He just dominated Camavinga who was just starting for the champions league champions.. he continues to perform like this at the copa this man will be making the big move sooner then expected. 

Very talented and physically able to go with the best in the world, as we saw.

Watford fans' (and my - to be honest) knock would be him showing up in every role he was asked to play, every game.

Easy to get motivated for France - especially for him - but if Marsch can keep him going, massive for us. 

1 hour ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Possible career altering performance. He just dominated Camavinga who was just starting for the champions league champions.. he continues to perform like this at the copa this man will be making the big move sooner then expected. 

Big time performance today.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Very talented and physically able to go with the best in the world, as we saw.

Watford fans' (and my - to be honest) knock would be him showing up in every role he was asked to play, every game.

Easy to get motivated for France - especially for him - but if Marsch can keep him going, massive for us. 

4 managers certainly does not help him.

His ability to turn with the ball when he is facing his own goal and with pressure on his back is incredible. He can beat the press and progress the ball very well. He has all the tools to hit the jackpot. He just needs stability with the manager and players around him. Think he will thrive in a higher league/team if he gets that continuity.

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He's young, Watford's a mess and changing coaches a lot.  He'd benefit from stability.  Watford is not helping him.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

He's young, Watford's a mess and changing coaches a lot.  He'd benefit from stability.  Watford is not helping him.

I agree, never wanted him there, at least a couple managers I have really liked have gone through the grist mill that's there (must pay decent). 

At the end of the day, some is on him to grow and be more consistent as well. I say from watching him some.  To be as physically dominant as we saw today, "on a cold night in Stoke." Almost literally.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

For me he was very good but still has some major improvements to make. He doesn't have his pass in his head when he gets the ball. He does not fully combine passing with those around him, he isolates himself. He sems to be more reactive than proactive. He has great runs into space but doesn't release when its time. 

His role isn't that clearly defined either but that's on his coaches: DM, CM, AM?

He clearly needs a step up in team and coaching, and maybe playing beside quality mids, to fix a few things to raise his game. He can't be "good for his age" for much longer.

Want him to move this summer if for no other reason than wanting to see him somewhere other than Watford. Think he’s strung too many good performances for Canada along wishy washy showings for Watford that I think he could benefit from a better environment. I do feel like agents and scouts watch a game like this, and the way he completely manhandled Camavinga (who is shockingly 6 months younger than Kone) has got to have put him on the radar for a lot of clubs. Played like he could slot into Madrid’s XI tomorrow.