Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

11 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

He had some really nice plays where I could see what he will bring as a more mature player but he made a few mistakes that lost the ball too.

Made a nice run down the line that set up a decent chance at the American net.  Other than that nothing stood out.  Found he was drifting to the wing too much, leaving the middle a bit open.

For me the encouraging thing is that the gaps in his game are very coachable.  Sort of like why I am high on Nelson.  They each have intangibles in attack that can’t be taught.  The negatives - like sometimes shutting off or elevating your energy levels consistently - can be overcome through training and work, but the stuff they to the table just in terms of natural ability is exciting.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me the encouraging thing is that the gaps in his game are very coachable.  Sort of like why I am high on Nelson.  They each have intangibles in attack that can’t be taught.  The negatives - like sometimes shutting off or elevating your energy levels consistently - can be overcome through training and work, but the stuff they to the table just in terms of natural ability is exciting.  

He definitely has the tools and will grow into being a frontline player for the NT for a decade.  Just needs more experience and touches. 

Just now, Ottawafan said:

He definitely has the tools and will grow into being a frontline player for the NT for a decade.  Just needs more experience and touches. 

Yeah, I am still crazy-happy that he came out of nowhere.  He just turned 21 so the decade timeline is accurate.  He could potentially play in 3 more world cups with us.  Crazy.  

So who is the next guy after Kone? Who is that next big emerging talent we need to get to the next level? Kone for me was obviously that. He's on his way to being a tier 1 player, someone who can hang with the likes of Musah for the next decade (same age). But who is next? In that cohort the USA have Reyna (unbelieve talent), but also someone like Malik Tillman, who scored 10 goals on loan to Rangers from Bayern. He'll be part of the future mix for them. I think Busio will eventually get out of Serie B and turn it around, becoming a part of their future generation. I look to Nelson as someone with that potential still, but things have been slow at Rosenborg and he'll need to take a jump up quickly to be in the conversation with the Musah's and the Kone's. 

In other areas of the pitch, it could be Jebbison - but he's not committed to us (yet). It could be Koleosho - but he may never commit to us. Those guys are a little younger, but that's the age group now we need to be looking at for hope, the 2002, 2003, and 2004 ages. Jebbison and Koleosho aside, there is nobody I see with a lot of promise. Then again, nobody saw Kone rise the way he did, so maybe someone takes a big step, maybe a Priso or Zouhir, but seems far more likely they'll be the floor guys of our program (which are needed to stabalize the program), just not the ceiling guys (which are need to push the program forward).

Forgot Corbeanu. He's possibly the next guy, but like Nelson he needs to figure it out quickly. And aside from club progress, a big part of that is needing to crack the NT squad as well, which they haven't this summer.

Will they in a friendly? Maybe against a smaller nation (which we will likely get in September), but probably not a bigger nation (which we hope for in October).

The September friendly against anyone half decent is very important for building depth. 

I don’t think Nelson missed out on merit - I think that may have been negotiated.  Total speculation of course, but he is starting to find his feet with a goal in each of his last 2 games and may have wanted to really cement his starting spot (which he wasn’t gifted right out of the gates).  

I think he is making progress - I just don’t think the meteoric rise (out of relatively obscurity) by Kone can be used as the measuring stick.  By the end of the summer it is entirely possible he will have gone from signing his first pro contract to playing in the WC and signing for a Serie A team within a 2 year span.   If that is the “next” we are hoping for, I think we may be waiting a while. 

For guys more on a normal growth curve, Nelson is the one I like who is committed to Canada.  Jebbo and Koleosho if they commit (but I am pretty skeptical we see the latter in red and white).  I am still baffled how Smith could look so good amongst his peers and yet become anonymous in a club environment so I maintain hope that he steps up.  And I am looking forward to seeing what Loturi can do during the GC.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

So who is the next guy after Kone? Who is that next big emerging talent we need to get to the next level? Kone for me was obviously that. He's on his way to being a tier 1 player, someone who can hang with the likes of Musah for the next decade (same age). But who is next? In that cohort the USA have Reyna (unbelieve talent), but also someone like Malik Tillman, who scored 10 goals on loan to Rangers from Bayern. He'll be part of the future mix for them. I think Busio will eventually get out of Serie B and turn it around, becoming a part of their future generation. I look to Nelson as someone with that potential still, but things have been slow at Rosenborg and he'll need to take a jump up quickly to be in the conversation with the Musah's and the Kone's. 

In other areas of the pitch, it could be Jebbison - but he's not committed to us (yet). It could be Koleosho - but he may never commit to us. Those guys are a little younger, but that's the age group now we need to be looking at for hope, the 2002, 2003, and 2004 ages. Jebbison and Koleosho aside, there is nobody I see with a lot of promise. Then again, nobody saw Kone rise the way he did, so maybe someone takes a big step, maybe a Priso or Zouhir, but seems far more likely they'll be the floor guys of our program (which are needed to stabalize the program), just not the ceiling guys (which are need to push the program forward).

I agree with dyslexic that we may be waiting for a while to see another like Kone, David, Davies but who knows? Perhaps we shouldn't be "expecting" it per se and just be hopeful that every few years we have a guy like him fall into our laps. With the way our League 1 system is shaping up though I would expect us to eventually see more and more players discovered and groomed earlier and earlier rather than have then drop out of the sky. But I also think there have to be more kids like him out there waiting to be stumbled upon. Of those we know Jakheele is 2 years younger than Koné and Jayden has the tools to be something pretty special imo. Have watched a little of him at Rosenburg and he looked impressive. I personally am hoping JRR soaks up everything at the Gold Cup and just becomes a monster in the second half of the season. 

19 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

I agree with dyslexic that we may be waiting for a while to see another like Kone, David, Davies but who knows? Perhaps we shouldn't be "expecting" it per se and just be hopeful that every few years we have a guy like him fall into our laps. With the way our League 1 system is shaping up though I would expect us to eventually see more and more players discovered and groomed earlier and earlier rather than have then drop out of the sky. But I also think there have to be more kids like him out there waiting to be stumbled upon. Of those we know Jakheele is 2 years younger than Koné and Jayden has the tools to be something pretty special imo. Have watched a little of him at Rosenburg and he looked impressive. I personally am hoping JRR soaks up everything at the Gold Cup and just becomes a monster in the second half of the season. 

Agreed and good call on JMR....I forgot about him. JRR could be a guy too. Someone in attack is going to have to step up and he could be the guy. A strong GC could launch him into a bigger role with the Crew and from there who knows. We saw how Kone moved after 1 season. 

Kone reminds me a little of Atiba in the underrated aspect based on his skills and personality. Not the fastest, best shot, dribbler on the team and relatively quiet demeanor but the importance of having Kone for the next decade is like how important Atiba has been for this national team in terms of anchoring the midfield. Might not have the "marketability" name as the Davies or De Rosario did but will be just as critical as the Davies, David, Buchanens based on age and position he plays. 

Maybe I’m too optimistic but I’d like to think by 2026 we won’t have many MLS/Low league players being key contributors and the few we do are very good players in that league, Much like the USA team is today, I personally believe that the US will likely have 0 MLS players by 2026 while we’re still a bit behind them. Players who are roster locks currently playing in high level league are.

Davies-Bayern

David-Lille

Buchanan-Inter?

Koné-Udinese?

Larin-Laliga

Johnston-Celtic

Eusatquio-Porto

Adekugbe-Top/Mid table turkey

Laryea(Execption)-TFC, Maybe Europe?

Cornelius-Malmo

Players that could be at a big club by that time(Prospects):

Nelson

JMR

Bombito

Smith

Colyn

Brym

Knight-Lebel

Franklin

Kratt 

Pellegrino

JRR

Corbeanu

Jebbison

Koleosho

Saliba

Priso

Merci-Michel

Mcgill

St.Clair

Sirois

Loturi

Mcgraw

List goes on….

From 2018-2022 basically everyone I mentioned in the first list broke out in those 4 years which is 9 of them, in the next 3 years let’s say realistically 6 of the guys from the 2nd list or others breakout to become first list quality. That would make 15 players playing in tier 1 clubs/leagues with the rest of our roster being good MLS/Lower leagues. Hopefully by 2030 we would get rid of the MLS all together. I guess my point in this is saying that we need more than just our next Davies or David we need many next “Tier 1 players”.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

*TJ Tahid 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 6:15 PM, Obinna said:

Luc De Fougerolles

4 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

How do you know for sure? He has but 2 caps so far.

Yea it’s tough to say really. He’s turning 23 but he looks like he’s only going to improve/progress.

I think Laryea is a Tier 1 player for us, and he came onto the scene at the late age of 25. 

What’s  key is a players club situation. And we have a few guys who are in “limbo” but in the right situation they could turn Tier 1, and in the wrong situation could regress.