Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

So the same guys who insisted I was a fool for questioning offers of 5-6 million for Kone from Norwich et al (I argue they did not exist) are now going to continue to insist that Watford is going to pay that kind of money to Montreal?

He was probably the least noticeable player on the pitch vs. Belgium, but I think it was Herdman who did not get his role right. 

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So the same guys who insisted I was a fool for questioning offers of 5-6 million for Kone from Norwich et al (I argue they did not exist) are now going to continue to insist that Watford is going to pay that kind of money to Montreal?

He was probably the least noticeable player on the pitch vs. Belgium, but I think it was Herdman who did not get his role right. 

I think Kone still isn't sure about his role/where he should be at times with Canada. During the Japan game he was looking around and yelling at players in a "I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing" way.

He's being asked to fill a big role given how quickly he's ascended.

58 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I think Kone still isn't sure about his role/where he should be at times with Canada. During the Japan game he was looking around and yelling at players in a "I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing" way.

He's being asked to fill a big role given how quickly he's ascended.

For me, either he should have been released to be the AM, or held back to let Eustaquio go further up, being a scorer and assister at a higher level. A clear role to help him focus.

Those last 15 we lost our shape, we weren't properly spaced, we even got in each other's way.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me, either he should have been released to be the AM, or held back to let Eustaquio go further up, being a scorer and assister at a higher level. A clear role to help him focus.

Those last 15 we lost our shape, we weren't properly spaced, we even got in each other's way.

It would be interesting to see him as an AM. 

Some of this might be just the fact that Herdman rather sub on Kone for Hutchison than anyone else...

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He did get an offer from N' arch (unless he lied in a major paper) and that is not an unreasonable English fee, even if they look at him as project.  

West Ham paid about  twice as much for a player valued less than Kone, who plays the same position, had no Premiership experience and is 3 years older.

And Watford have paid similar, where they are now, for players unproven in England.

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It seemed that way to me as well.  Watching de Bruyne gallop on the dribble comfortably away from Osorio's pursuit (like he did against Hutchinson in the 18th minute) was disconcerting, as well, but Kone's wheels and engine got back to put him off his shot.  He needs to be used in the same way the big kid from Everton was utilized by Belgium (and he impressed me in his sub appearance:  perhaps that is what Noble Okello fans keep hoping for?).  

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Not sure why we’re only hearing about EFL clubs being interested in him though. Surely he would have interest from Germany, France, Belgium…

remember how Bayern silently swooped in for Davies when the talk was all about Man U? I would prefer if he went to the teams you listed

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

It seemed that way to me as well.  Watching de Bruyne gallop on the dribble comfortably away from Osorio's pursuit (like he did against Hutchinson in the 18th minute) was disconcerting, as well, but Kone's wheels and engine got back to put him off his shot.  He needs to be used in the same way the big kid from Everton was utilized by Belgium (and he impressed me in his sub appearance:  perhaps that is what Noble Okello fans keep hoping for?).  

That was Onana, David's ex-teammate at Lille. He is a very physical player and covers a lot of ground. I think Kone may not turn out to be as physical but does seem to have a higher skill level.

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

That was Onana, David's ex-teammate at Lille. He is a very physical player and covers a lot of ground. I think Kone may not turn out to be as physical but does seem to have a higher skill level.

Agreed.  Both big engine kids.  Onana got the better of him on that one galloping dribble into the box.  I would like to see Kone stetching his legs and not in a holding role.

17 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Not sure why we’re only hearing about EFL clubs being interested in him though. Surely he would have interest from Germany, France, Belgium…

Because 1) they blab a lot more than they'd like to think 2) the press is swarming all over the place in England and they'll pick up on anything 3) English football pays the highest transfers so that 4)if an agent is looking to drum up interest and establish market value, it's the place to work the rumour mill and 5) since they probably overpay anyways and outcompete most on price, they don't care that much about the rumours pushing values too high. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

He is the kind of player I think we were all hoping Okello would turn into.  Strong, fast and imposing - using his size in a way that makes him a force in midfield.  Unfortunately he just seems to lack the aggression that is a very necessary part of that formula.  

I feel like I'm missing something here, as I don't see what everyone else does when it comes to Kone.  Yes, he is young and yes, there is potential, but in today's game I saw a player who consistently passed the ball backwards and did not create all that much.  I don't recall being aware of defensive prowess either.  However, he didn't seem to make noticable mistakes either, so I guess that is a positive.

I don't watch Montreal, so maybe there are things there that I don't see at the international level.

1 minute ago, AvroArrow said:

I feel like I'm missing something here, as I don't see what everyone else does when it comes to Kone.  Yes, he is young and yes, there is potential, but in today's game I saw a player who consistently passed the ball backwards and did not create all that much.  I don't recall being aware of defensive prowess either.  However, he didn't seem to make noticable mistakes either, so I guess that is a positive.

I don't watch Montreal, so maybe there are things there that I don't see at the international level.

He was fine but you are correct in that he once again didn't really do anything noteworthy. No line breaking passes or dribbling out of pressure (he may have done that once). But he didn't cough up the ball either, which had been a problem in our midfield for a little while now.

3 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I seem to recall him turning away from pressure and breaking that first line a couple of times. I also thought he failed to track Modric on the 3rd goal though 

edit: not the 3rd goal at all. The brilliant Borjan save at ~50 min

Edited by Aird25