Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

It's a bit too much to start Kone in the first WC game for Canada. He's only had 1 season of pro soccer. JH was right to bring him on as a sub. Besides Atiba still has game and we need his experience/ calmness. Kone will get mins in each game and I have no doubt he will be a mainstay after this WC. 

Herdman said last week that he was a young man not yet ready to start at this level but he could make a difference as a later sub. I thought he looked like the only one playing not to make a mistake, not much “bravery” but that’s to be expected at his age/experience. I wonder if we’ll see Kaye in his place as the Hutch sub or he’ll give Kone a second chance? 

Edited by ECW

5 hours ago, ECW said:

Herdman said last week that he was a young man not yet ready to start at this level but he could make a difference as a later sub. I thought he looked like the only one playing not to make a mistake, not much “bravery” but that’s to be expected at his age/experience. I wonder if we’ll see Kaye in his place as the Hutch sub or he’ll give Kone a second chance? 

Not sure if Kone has put the brakes on because of instruction from the staff or on his own…his last 2 matches he’s been very cautious.

11 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Not sure if Kone has put the brakes on because of instruction from the staff or on his own…his last 2 matches he’s been very cautious.

Very conservative.

Which is why I thought that sub was even more surprising, when he was basically playing like Fraser.

6 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Well, in the 70th minute he had a really loose cross field pass that almost got picked off and turned into a dangerous counterattack if it weren't for an Eustaquio intervention.  Scares like that can temper your play.

Just for kicks, I looked around for some Kone youth stats since it wasn't that long ago. It's just so surreal. Fortunately, in Quebec, there is a tool that has match reports for club teams all over the province. Makes me wonder who the top scorer is since Kone had about half as many goals. I feel like there is a ton of untapped talent in Quebec. 

chrome_screenshot_1669341970150.png

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Just for kicks, I looked around for some Kone youth stats since it wasn't that long ago. It's just so surreal. Fortunately, in Quebec, there is a tool that has match reports for club teams all over the province. Makes me wonder who the top scorer is since Kone had about half as many goals. I feel like there is a ton of untapped talent in Quebec. 

https://www.atlanticuniversitysport.com/sports/msoc/2021-22/players/younessechibaneyh0e

11 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

:D

1 hour ago, narduch said:

This really reiterates the point that we really need some CPL teams to help close a gap in the pyramid in Quebec 

The exposure would help. Player skill is important, but so is opportunity and familiarity. Growing up in Quebec and seeing my regional association of Lac St. Louis consistently performing well in national competitions always made me wonder why more Quebec players weren't playing professionally after youth. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

7 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/ismaël-koné.59851/

Thread on Kone in a Watford forum. Favourite comment: "Everything about Canadian football is sexy right now and that’s why I’m in." 

He's probably referring to that picture of Herdman on the Croatian newspaper's front page.

2 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Why do I always see this same comment when I go to the forum thread of one of our players going to England

"Never heard of him, but he’s a good age and even if he’s rubbish, he’ll be useful on the training ground.

Get it done."

I am not a fan of our guys going to the English system at all (and Richie didn't help my attitude)

12 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Why do I always see this same comment when I go to the forum thread of one of our players going to England

"Never heard of him, but he’s a good age and even if he’s rubbish, he’ll be useful on the training ground.

Get it done."

I am not a fan of our guys going to the English system at all (and Richie didn't help my attitude)

Don't know if they'll have the same attitude once they know he'll (most likely) be going for more than 5 million. It's a less forgiving environment but at least Kone has youth on his side and worst case they can loan him out.  

On 11/24/2022 at 11:18 AM, Floortom said:

Seeing Kone to Watford rumours all over the place right now

Well I look it this way, at the rate that Watford go through managers, it must be even money that they would give the job to one of us someday.  

For the record, I would definitely play him, if anyone is reading this in Herefordshire. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

CS St. Laurent Technical Director and former Montreal Impact forward Rocco Placentino talks about Kone's World Cup appearance in an interview with The Gazette:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/mls/club-de-foot-montreal/tears-of-joy-for-st-laurents-placentino-as-kone-debuts-in-world-cup/wcm/87f8a871-f4e5-475e-a266-f165ef9fe89b/amp/