Ismael Kenneth Kone

MauditYvon

18 hours ago, frmr said:

What’s up with him? Hasn’t been playing lately?

The actual answer is that he was suspended for 1 match. He also didn't travel to Nashville because he was undergoing leg tests - mentioned on TVA last night.

Athletic has a piece on him today. They say his strengths are:

- Standing at a thin six-foot-2, he has an unusual frame for a soccer player, but it does provide unique advantages.

- Even if he doesn’t contribute directly to the play, Koné’s ability to move into attacking spaces has also helped his team disrupt opposing defenses. 

- He averages 1.31 successful dribbles per 90 minutes which puts him in the 81st percentile among midfielders in MLS. 

- Almost like a free safety in American football, Koné can hang back in defensive transition before taking a few short steps (for him) and intercepting the ball. 

His areas that need improving are:

- Because he’s sometimes unaware of who and what is around him, Koné has to focus on getting his bearings on the ball instead of picking out a quality pass. 

- He’s not involved enough in Montreal’s possession and when he is involved, the outcome isn’t always great. 

- Koné loves to shoot from outside the box. While long shots can be useful, they often function as a wasteful end to a potentially valuable possession.

https://theathletic.com/3320437/2022/05/18/ismael-kone-cf-montreal-mls/

While I agree with these shortcomings, I see the solutions as slightly different...

His areas that need improving are:

- Because he’s sometimes unaware of who and what is around him, Koné has to focus on getting his bearings on the ball instead of picking out a quality pass. I think its not about focusing on getting his bearings on the ball as focusing on whos around him before he gets the ball so he can either quickly pick out the quality pass or move away from danger so he can do that

- He’s not involved enough in Montreal’s possession and when he is involved, the outcome isn’t always great. I would agree with this...needs to be more dominant in possession (and then see above for how to do that)

- Koné loves to shoot from outside the box. While long shots can be useful, they often function as a wasteful end to a potentially valuable possession. Yeah, needs better decision making here

• 1 month later...

Didn’t watch the game last night cause it was too late, seems like I made the right decision. Does anyone know how he played? It seemed like he was playing in a more attacking role and sofa score had him at 7.1 which is pretty good but whoscored had him at 6.5 which isn’t very good so was just wondering how did you guys think he played

9 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Didn’t watch the game last night cause it was too late, seems like I made the right decision. Does anyone know how he played? It seemed like he was playing in a more attacking role and sofa score had him at 7.1 which is pretty good but whoscored had him at 6.5 which isn’t very good so was just wondering how did you guys think he played

I saw only till the 2nd goal. He made no impact on the game.

16 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

More of the same tbh. He’s such an attractive player to watch because he does some things exceptionally well, but he’s not yet a complete player at this stage in his career. I think he has great potential though  

The most impressive thing about Kone, and Priso, for that matter, is that they are composed with the ball and see and anticipate plays developing really well for such young players.  In the Seattle game, Priso one-timed a long pass in front of his own box up the left wing to spring Nelson, I think it was, for a counter.   That said, they also try to make plays they shouldn't, resulting in some pretty bad turnovers. Even in such situations, you can see they are trying to exploit a situation and the passing lane just closed up quicker than they anticipated.

• 3 weeks later...

I wondered if he may move this window. Anyone can see that there's a potential world class midfielder in there, and clubs would be silly to not take a chance on him. Whether he reaches that potential, we will see, but I think he should be in Europe sooner than later. Would be interested to hear what other clubs are in for him. I think Championship would be a good level for him at this age.

Excellent move for him- if Romano is saying this, then there’s a good shot that he ends up somewhere in Europe not before long.

would he be the first PLSQ player to make it to a major European league? The only other PLSQ player I can think of who ended up at a bigger club is Mo Farsi, but I’m sure I’m forgetting some names. 

In addition to consulting his agent, his teammates and his support group, does a player in this situation reach out to the NT manager for advice? “John, I’ve got an opportunity to move to the Championship. What do you think? Would this move increase my chances of going to the World Cup?” I have no idea. Maybe going to the World Cup isn’t even a consideration, and he’d base his decision on the financial aspect and how the move would help him develop as a player.

When he came on as a substitute in his debut in Costa Rica, I really wish he could have scored the goal that would have sent Canada to the World Cup - he would have been an all-time Canadian legend.

City interested in CF Montreal midfielder
Connor Southwell Pink Un July 25, 2022

Norwich City are interested in signing CF Montreal midfielder Ismael Kone.

As first reported by transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, the Canaries had a delegation in Washington in an attempt to secure the services of the 20-year-old.

We understood those reports are correct, with City sporting director Stuart Webber in America over the week to speak to Kone and his representatives, missing the Canaries trip to Scotland.

Other clubs are also interested in signing the midfielder, with a deal yet to be agreed.

Dean Smith admitted during their trip to Scotland that they were in the market for another midfielder after Pierre Lees-Melou completed a permanent move away to Stade Brestois.

Kone has made just 20 senior appearances for the MLS outfit but is highly sought after bursting onto the scene earlier this season.

The midfielder has already made his international debut for Canada and Norwich are striving to head the queue as they bid to add another addition to their midfield engine room.

As well as stepping up their work in South America, Norwich have also conducted scouting work in the US as they look to take advantage of the change in rules post-Brexit.

Kone is rated highly by his international boss John Herdman, who believes he has the right mental approach to make it to the top.

"This kid is genuine, grounded and down to earth", Herdman told One Soccer.

"He's got a personality, you can stand and have a joke with him and he isn't too enamoured by the environment in terms of the personalities that are in the game.

"He fits in and it's been really cool to watch. He's strolling around with his chest out - not in an arrogant way but he's here to enjoy the environment."

9 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

City interested in CF Montreal midfielder
Connor Southwell Pink Un July 25, 2022

Norwich City are interested in signing CF Montreal midfielder Ismael Kone.

As first reported by transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, the Canaries had a delegation in Washington in an attempt to secure the services of the 20-year-old.

We understood those reports are correct, with City sporting director Stuart Webber in America over the week to speak to Kone and his representatives, missing the Canaries trip to Scotland.

Other clubs are also interested in signing the midfielder, with a deal yet to be agreed.

Dean Smith admitted during their trip to Scotland that they were in the market for another midfielder after Pierre Lees-Melou completed a permanent move away to Stade Brestois.

Kone has made just 20 senior appearances for the MLS outfit but is highly sought after bursting onto the scene earlier this season.

The midfielder has already made his international debut for Canada and Norwich are striving to head the queue as they bid to add another addition to their midfield engine room.

As well as stepping up their work in South America, Norwich have also conducted scouting work in the US as they look to take advantage of the change in rules post-Brexit.

Kone is rated highly by his international boss John Herdman, who believes he has the right mental approach to make it to the top.

"This kid is genuine, grounded and down to earth", Herdman told One Soccer.

"He's got a personality, you can stand and have a joke with him and he isn't too enamoured by the environment in terms of the personalities that are in the game.

"He fits in and it's been really cool to watch. He's strolling around with his chest out - not in an arrogant way but he's here to enjoy the environment."

This would be an excellent move. 

GGG recently had this to say about some of the US’ young guys who made early moves to Europe. Curious what y’all make of them and if Koné is in the same class as the guys mentioned, above or below? Haven’t seen him play much at all tbh. 
https://twitter.com/nicocantor1/status/1549395240020332552?s=21&t=M1DGL80LloEujeDGtAaMvg

6B639817-7909-4098-82D2-0D8EE8166B23.jpeg

Edited by grigorio