Jesse Costa

VinceA

1 minute ago, Vasi said:

Costa

Sigur

Farsi

I get being mad and annoyed that none of these Canadians are saying no other countries but I can't get overly mad right now.

Costa is a 2005 playing youth ball at Wolfsburg and there's no guarantee at all about his future. We also have no ball to offer him. We'll see if he accepts a U20 Canada recall next year.

Sigur is a MF playing RB filling in for two injured RBs at Hadjuk and in a rich vein of form. He's said no to our senior team and yes to the Croatian U21 team. Another player who we don't know what his future will look like. He's also playing in a position that is set for us until at least 2030. Kobe Franklin is the same age as Sigur and is playing in a better league, but we aren't clamoring for his inclusion right now.

Farsi is the only one I'm more concerned about but once again, we have two RBs in their primes (even if Johnston plays RCB, you can throw Tajon into the RWB mix) not to mention Herdman also likes ZBG.

Also the final thing that I think about a lot these days: There's always someone new around the corner.

31 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I get being mad and annoyed that none of these Canadians are saying no other countries but I can't get overly mad right now.

Costa is a 2005 playing youth ball at Wolfsburg and there's no guarantee at all about his future. We also have no ball to offer him. We'll see if he accepts a U20 Canada recall next year.

Sigur is a MF playing RB filling in for two injured RBs at Hadjuk and in a rich vein of form. He's said no to our senior team and yes to the Croatian U21 team. Another player who we don't know what his future will look like. He's also playing in a position that is set for us until at least 2030. Kobe Franklin is the same age as Sigur and is playing in a better league, but we aren't clamoring for his inclusion right now.

Farsi is the only one I'm more concerned about but once again, we have two RBs in their primes (even if Johnston plays RCB, you can throw Tajon into the RWB mix) not to mention Herdman also likes ZBG.

Also the final thing that I think about a lot these days: There's always someone new around the corner.

I like your positivity and point of view, i will give you that.

3 hours ago, jordan said:

José Lima, coach of the under-18 National Team, summoned 22 players to the Lisbon International Tournament. Sporting and SC Braga are the most represented clubs, with four players each. In this 27th edition of the tournament, Portugal will face Australia (June 9), Norway (June 11) and England (June 13).

https://www.abola.pt/nnh/2023-05-30/convocatoria-para-o-torneio-internacional-de-lisboa/989884

3 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Whats the deal with this tournament

"First tournament"?? 

Lol

Honestly I don't care. We have a pathway with the CPL, we have our cake and eat it by also having the MLS and next pro etc. Canadians stock is at an all time high and European pathways are wider than ever.

Anyone that wants to represent another country is welcome. It just means another spot opens up for someone else proud and desperate to wear a Canadian jersey and represent their country. I'd rather channel my energy there. You are either with us or not. All the best to those choosing elsewhere.  Canadian soccer is on the way up and the talent pool is just going to improve and grow. 

9 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

We can't keep thinking this way. We cap like one dual for every five that we lose

Exactly. Seems lately there's always someone new around the corner... with some European passport waiting to be dusted off. 

It’s Portugal. You can’t say no to them. Unlike the other guys we’re losing at least he’s not doing the whole “I have always felt the blood of my real nation, Portugal, which is my one and only nation, coarse through my veins” like the other guys are doing. All his twitter likes are CANMNT related, some on tweets not even directed at him. He probably wants to play for us, but when a top 10 team in the world is interested in you, can’t blame him.

9 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

We can't keep thinking this way. We cap like one dual for every five that we lose

Is that true? 

Capped during last cycle.
1. Corbeanu
2. Staq
3. David
4. Spoony
5. Akinola
6. Ugbo
7. Kone 
8. ZBG
9. Sturing
10. Ferreira
11. Tabla
12. Busti
13. Godhino
14. Loturi (Kind of)
15. Mcgill (Kind of)

Lost duals during last cycle
1. Marmoush 
2. Kadioglu
3. Yankov
4. will akio
5. Tomori

Lost but still could file a 1 time switch
1. Sali
2. Mitrovic
3. Flores

Based on the above list Tomori, marmoush and kadioglu are the only 3 that can be considered losses. Kadioglu was never ever considering Canada so we shouldnt even include him on the list and marmoush was always extremely unlikely. 

Mitrovic would probably be on the edge of making our A squad. Flores and Sali would only be included based on potential. All 3 could theoretically join us still. Sali apparently would be willing to consider a switch when he moves out of romania. 

Compare the lost duals list to our acquired list and I count around 8 guys who are in contention for our squads vs 1 extremely hurtful loss, 2 long shots and 3 youngsters. If every cycle is a list like this, I would be thrilled 

Potential losses:
Sigur - is he good enough for canada's A team currently. Doubtful. High potential but he can still commit to us. Too early to panic. 
Koleosho - He has always been a long shot
Farsi - Is he good enough for our A squad - no. He may still commit. Too early to panic. 
Morris - This is a long shot that recently became less of a long shot. If he commits that a major bonus.
Odunze/goodman - How good are they? Not entirely fussed about them. 
Costa - Playing in an illigeitame age group for portugal. Theres still so many unknowns of how good he will be and he can easily still commit. Too early to panic. 

The way I see it is that we will never be perfect. Without youth teams it makes sense that our youth would play with other nations. That a huge weakness in our program. However, its too early to panic with alot of these youngsters. Our record with Herdman and duals is absolutely insane. Theres a good chance it will continue in the next cycle. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Is that true? 

Capped during last cycle.
1. Corbeanu
2. Staq
3. David
4. Spoony
5. Akinola
6. Ugbo
7. Kone 
8. ZBG
9. Sturing
10. Ferreira
11. Tabla
12. Busti
13. Godhino
14. Loturi (Kind of)
15. Mcgill (Kind of)

Lost duals during last cycle
1. Marmoush 
2. Kadioglu
3. Yankov
4. will akio
5. Tomori

Lost but still could file a 1 time switch
1. Sali
2. Mitrovic
3. Flores

Based on the above list Tomori, marmoush and kadioglu are the only 3 that can be considered losses. Kadioglu was never ever considering Canada so we shouldnt even include him on the list and marmoush was always extremely unlikely. 

Mitrovic would probably be on the edge of making our A squad. Flores and Sali would only be included based on potential. All 3 could theoretically join us still. Sali apparently would be willing to consider a switch when he moves out of romania. 

Compare the lost duals list to our acquired list and I count around 8 guys who are in contention for our squads vs 1 extremely hurtful loss, 2 long shots and 3 youngsters. If every cycle is a list like this, I would be thrilled 

Potential losses:
Sigur - is he good enough for canada's A team currently. Doubtful. High potential but he can still commit to us. Too early to panic. 
Koleosho - He has always been a long shot
Farsi - Is he good enough for our A squad - no. He may still commit. Too early to panic. 
Morris - This is a long shot that recently became less of a long shot. If he commits that a major bonus.
Odunze/goodman - How good are they? Not entirely fussed about them. 
Costa - Playing in an illigeitame age group for portugal. Theres still so many unknowns of how good he will be and he can easily still commit. Too early to panic. 

The way I see it is that we will never be perfect. Without youth teams it makes sense that our youth would play with other nations. That a huge weakness in our program. However, its too early to panic with alot of these youngsters. Our record with Herdman and duals is absolutely insane. Theres a good chance it will continue in the next cycle. 

If we limit the list to the past few years, you're right.  But a few of us are old enough to remember and feel the pain of OH and De Guzman.  It's all still very fresh and left a deep scar.  

Can maybe add Cristante to the list as well?  But I think he was always part of the Italian program if I remember correctly?

1 hour ago, costarg said:

If we limit the list to the past few years, you're right.  But a few of us are old enough to remember and feel the pain of OH and De Guzman.  It's all still very fresh and left a deep scar.  

Can maybe add Cristante to the list as well?  But I think he was always part of the Italian program if I remember correctly?

I 100% agree with this. 

The point I am trying to make is that old wounds shouldnt prevent us in being accurate in our assessment. If we think our handling of duals is the same today as it was 20 years ago then its hard to know which strategy to use for the next generation of duals. 

On 5/30/2023 at 6:38 PM, Vasi said:

"My Country"

Fucking great. Another home-grown player on gis way out. What is that? 3 in less then a week?

We are a mees. 

On 5/30/2023 at 7:44 PM, Vasi said:

Costa

Sigur

Farsi

19 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

You are maybe missing the giant forest for the trees.

Take a look down Canada's World Cup roster, and look at how many of those players were also dual nationals, with the same types of options to play for another country, and chose to play for Canada.

Let me start at the "top":

Davies

David

Buchanan

Eustaquio

Larin

Johnston

Kone

Miller

Osorio...

So.  Canada has already completely crushed the dual-nats game.  And it's very easy to keep on listing players who figured for Canada in the last cycle, and previous, but also had other choices.  It's so easy to list impactful dual-nat players who actually played for Canada, listing hopeful maybes who might be impactful, someday...well...not as easy.  And so it may be silly to groan about perhaps losing the chance to have these hopefuls, or in many cases, one specific hopeful, maybe play for Canada someday...why would you do this to yourself? 🙂

To me, the outcome is already clear.  Canada as a place to live, to welcome new immigrants, to do WHATEVER it does and largely irrespective of soccer anything, is already doing a A+ job of recruiting.

13 hours ago, eramosat said:

You are maybe missing the giant forest for the trees.

Take a look down Canada's World Cup roster, and look at how many of those players were also dual nationals, with the same types of options to play for another country, and chose to play for Canada.

Let me start at the "top":

Davies

David

Buchanan

Eustaquio

Larin

Johnston

Kone

Miller

Osorio...

So.  Canada has already completely crushed the dual-nats game.  And it's very easy to keep on listing players who figured for Canada in the last cycle, and previous, but also had other choices.  It's so easy to list impactful dual-nat players who actually played for Canada, listing hopeful maybes who might be impactful, someday...well...not as easy.  And so it may be silly to groan about perhaps losing the chance to have these hopefuls, or in many cases, one specific hopeful, maybe play for Canada someday...why would you do this to yourself? 🙂

To me, the outcome is already clear.  Canada as a place to live, to welcome new immigrants, to do WHATEVER it does and largely irrespective of soccer anything, is already doing a A+ job of recruiting.

Are buchanan, larin, johnston, miller and oso actually duals. 

I remember that there were rumours that larin had some Jamaican descent but  I never thought he had actual eligibility. Same for the others.  

22 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Are buchanan, larin, johnston, miller and oso actually duals. 

I remember that there were rumours that larin had some Jamaican descent but  I never thought he had actual eligibility. Same for the others.  

Johnston's mom is Northern Irish. He could certainly make that squad. 

Osorio's parents are Columbian. 

To add to the list is Millar. And [edit] Corbeanu

Off the top of my head. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Johnston's mom is Northern Irish. He could certainly make that squad. 

Osorio's parents are Columbian. 

To add to the list is Millar. And [edit] Corbeanu

Off the top of my head. 

Interesting. I guess theres some question for me about eligibility. Alot of our guys have heritage in other places, but would it be enough to be eligible or would it be a holmes type situation.

13 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Interesting. I guess theres some question for me about eligibility. Alot of our guys have heritage in other places, but would it be enough to be eligible or would it be a holmes type situation

My understanding on Holmes was that he was he was FIFA-eligible but just a grandparent can't allow you to be a Canadian citizen, which is also required.

I know from personal experience Johnston would eligible, UK citizenship passes down one generation even if born abroad.

But I think a lot of countries are similar, so Corbeanu and Orsorio could have made it happen.

Don't know the other guys' parents offhand.

We make too much of these sound clips / media blurbs.  These guys (Costa & Sigur) have to give these types of answers (paying homage to the motherland).  What are they gonna say?… “It makes most sense for where I’m playing my club football, and for scouts to watch me, to play for your established U21 program, cuz mine is non-existent, but when the time comes, I’ll go with Canada, because I have almost zero chance of making your Sr. Squad anyways, and Canada is cool too cuz I grew up there and everything.”

4 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

We make too much of these sound clips / media blurbs.  These guys (Costa & Sigur) have to give these types of answers (paying homage to the motherland).  What are they gonna say?… “It makes most sense for where I’m playing my club football, and for scouts to watch me, to play for your established U21 program, cuz mine is non-existent, but when the time comes, I’ll go with Canada, because I have almost zero chance of making your Sr. Squad anyways, and Canada is cool too cuz I grew up there and everything.”

This is true. I think a lot of people on this board think that these teenagers are supposed be like "lmao go fuck yourselves ill use you until i age out then its Canada time baybeeee" while honking like a goose and pouring maple syrup over themselves.