Gloire Amanda

bfque8

I did not realise he won the MAC Hermann for best college player of the year in NCAA. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2021/05/oregon-states-gloire-amanda-wins-mac-hermann-trophy-as-college-soccers-player-of-the-year.html

A player who is 22 is not really in development phase. He spent three years in college. No point going somewhere where the minutes might be slim, like Whitecaps. This is also a nice move, for a few reasons. One, that is a club in Austria 2nd tier but with aspirations to promote, there is a bit of a demand. With Scott they just missed promotion, this year I think they were third, so they are expected to perform. 

Then, they have an amazing stadium that was built for the Eurocup Austria-Switzerland, in a town of just over 100k it can hold up to 30,000 when set up that way. So a good venue.

Adapting to life in Austria, not going to be hard don't think. 

I imagine he would be making 30-40 thousand euros, not much more, although he may get housing.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I did not realise he won the MAC Hermann for best college player of the year in NCAA. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2021/05/oregon-states-gloire-amanda-wins-mac-hermann-trophy-as-college-soccers-player-of-the-year.html

A player who is 22 is not really in development phase. He spent three years in college. No point going somewhere where the minutes might be slim, like Whitecaps. This is also a nice move, for a few reasons. One, that is a club in Austria 2nd tier but with aspirations to promote, there is a bit of a demand. With Scott they just missed promotion, this year I think they were third, so they are expected to perform. 

Then, they have an amazing stadium that was built for the Eurocup Austria-Switzerland, in a town of just over 100k it can hold up to 30,000 when set up that way. So a good venue.

Adapting to life in Austria, not going to be hard don't think. 

I imagine he would be making 30-40 thousand euros, not much more, although he may get housing.

They actually did get promoted via playoff promotion playing relegated side St. Polten. 

Bizarrely, champions FC-Blau-Weiß Linz and 2nd place Liefering both didn’t get promoted due to them not obtaining Bundesliga licenses. 

I also agree that Amanda is no longer in the development phase, I’m sure he didn’t sign with the team with the intention of working in their youth system or riding the bench in the reserves. 

Edited by Atlantic

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

They actually did get promoted via playoff promotion playing relegated side St. Polten. 

Bizarrely, champions FC-Blau-Weiß Linz and 2nd place Liefering both didn’t get promoted due to them not obtaining Bundesliga licenses. 

I also agree that Amanda is no longer in the development phase, I’m sure he didn’t sign with the team with the intention of working in their youth system or riding the bench in the reserves. 

Thanks for clearing that up. It is even better, of course, it puts him at a level higher than when Scott was there even. If a top Austrian 2nd tier player who is young can transfer into B2 Germany, that puts Gloire's ceiling as high or higher.

BTW, Austria is tenth amongst UEFA countries in terms of coefficient, likely on the basis of Red Bull Salzburg's recent success. But that puts them ahead of Turkey_Ukraine_Scotland.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2021

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

….and just like that he’s shot into our depth chart. Thing is he missed his opportunity (Gold Cup). Unless he tears up the Austrian league, there’s a possibility we won’t see his opportunity can only come after 2022. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just noticed other Austrian B1 teams are playing friendlies today, like Rapid. 

For years I reported here on Ante Jazic at Austria Vienna; he's now in Arkansas, married a department store heiress. 

The first step towards becoming a major professional sports franchise mogul!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

He started today in a friendly against Munich 1860 

Already teams are playing friendlies, when will soccer teams start giving these players proper off seasons , it’s one of the only  team sports that seems to think these guys are machines. Lucky if most players get even a month off just crazy .

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Already teams are playing friendlies, when will soccer teams start giving these players proper off seasons , it’s one of the only  team sports that seems to think these guys are machines. Lucky if most players get even a month off just crazy .

The complete opposite for CPL players over the last couple years

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Well, the first qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League and Conference League started today.  It’s like a mass production factory with players (machines) playing matches.

8 hours ago, SoccMan said:

There's literally a thread here about FIFA trying to make the World Cup every 2 years, and some people here are excited for it. So the answer is never.

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I always thought MLS had a relatively long off season, unless a club was in knockout round CCL.

I feel like MLS is one of the few leagues with some sanity around this.  Players get a break and fans get a chance to miss it.  This notion that your league needs to be a year-long groundhog day exercise where pre-season starts 5 minutes after they hand out the silverware for the last season is crazy.  It leads to this gas-lighting from club football fans/coaches/zealots who try to blame international football for the calendar pile up that they themselves are the cause of.  

17 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I feel like MLS is one of the few leagues with some sanity around this.  Players get a break and fans get a chance to miss it.  This notion that your league needs to be a year-long groundhog day exercise where pre-season starts 5 minutes after they hand out the silverware for the last season is crazy.  It leads to this gas-lighting from club football fans/coaches/zealots who try to blame international football for the calendar pile up that they themselves are the cause of.  

It is longer season for Euro leagues because they do take time off for 4/5 international breaks, nearly all take 2 weeks off for the year-end holidays, some take winter breaks and in the pre-covid age, the league matches were mostly 1/week. 

Having playoffs in the MLS makes it too long a break for about half the players. And due to union rules, the time off during a MLS season is probably in line with other North American pro leagues but too long compared to other footy leagues. When Tata was at Atlanta, he was told to cut back on training time since it was more than the players' agreement allowed. South American players in MLS have complained there is too much non-training time off between matches. So, there is less opportunity for them to connect and play like a team compared to their time in South America.

Checking in for preseason, Klagenfurt are through four friendlies so far:

- a 5-0 win over fourth-tier Köttmannsdorf (that Gloire wasn't involved in, probably quarantine/getting up to speed)

- an 11-1 win over fourth-tier ASK Klagenfurt (where he picked up a goal)

- a 16-0 win over fourth-tier Villach (in which Gloire scored six, going the full 90') 

- a 2-1 loss to 1860 Münich (in which Gloire saw the full 90' and had a few nice shots w/ no goals).

Edited by bfque8

• 3 weeks later...