WCQ Away Game Travel

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Something I have wondered (if you don't mind) is how the PCR test distinguishes between dead and live genetic material? 

Another question I have (if I may) is that when you say the testing picks up the "presence of any viral genetic material (reversed from RNA to DNA) of the SARS-Cov2 virus", does this mean the virus has to be "fully intact" to be detected?

You are welcome! So the first question gets to something that I think most people are aware of, but don't register in their heads, which is that virus can't technically die because they were never "alive" to begin with. Viruses require host cells in order to hijack its genetic instructions in order to replicate. Outside of controlled lab settings, most viruses lose their ability to infect other hosts in the order of magnitude of hours. Now with that being said, one of the drawbacks of any PCR test is that it does not distinguish viable virus from unviable virus, which means that it is very possible that someone who has been recently infected with COVID-19 but is no longer infectious (since only viable virus is capable of infection) test positive through a PCR test.  

However, while the scenario I just described is very possible, there is something to consider: We replace our own cells fairly quickly through just our own biological process, therefore there is only a relative small window of opportunity (probably around the order of magnitude of 0-3 months depending on the host cell, though I could definitely be wrong) where your cells still have unviable virus material in them due to a previous infection. 

In addition, PCR test parameters are often updated to reduce the likelihood of both false positives and false negatives, and our false positive rate has decreased pretty significantly. While theoretically in a world where community transmission is very low (< 1% for example) a low false positive rate could still lead to high number of false positive individuals, a) we unfortunately don't live in that world and b) we don't see high rate of false positives through surveillance testing of asymptomatic individuals in real world data.

As for your second question, it does not have to be fully intact to be detected PCR makes billions of copies of the DNA during the duplication cycle. 

Edited by frattinator

1 hour ago, frattinator said:

You are welcome! So the first question gets to something that I think most people are aware of, but don't register in their heads, which is that virus can't technically die because they were never "alive" to begin with. Viruses require host cells in order to hijack its genetic instructions in order to replicate. Outside of controlled lab settings, most viruses lose their ability to infect other hosts in the order of magnitude of hours. Now with that being said, one of the drawbacks of any PCR test is that it does not distinguish viable virus from unviable virus, which means that it is very possible that someone who has been recently infected with COVID-19 but is no longer infectious (since only viable virus is capable of infection) test positive through a PCR test.  

However, while the scenario I just described is very possible, there is something to consider: We replace our own cells fairly quickly through just our own biological process, therefore there is only a relative small window of opportunity (probably around the order of magnitude of 0-3 months depending on the host cell, though I could definitely be wrong) where your cells still have unviable virus material in them due to a previous infection. 

In addition, PCR test parameters are often updated to reduce the likelihood of both false positives and false negatives, and our false positive rate has decreased pretty significantly. While theoretically in a world where community transmission is very low (< 1% for example) a low false positive rate could still lead to high number of false positive individuals, a) we unfortunately don't live in that world and b) we don't see high rate of false positives through surveillance testing of asymptomatic individuals in real world data.

As for your second question, it does not have to be fully intact to be detected PCR makes billions of copies of the DNA during the duplication cycle. 

"Viable and unviable" is the terminology I should have used in my question. You can put me in that category of being aware but it not registering. Either way, your response definitely answered my question, thank you again.

We've been getting pretty far away from the purpose of this thread, but hopefully people are finding the info you share valuable (I am) and can tolerate our civil, off-topic chat.

When you say "PCR test parameters are often updated to reduce the likelihood of both false positives and false negatives", does that translate to "turning up or down the cycles/amplification of the tests"? 

Let's say I test positive today. For all intents and purposes it means I had viable Sars-Cov2 virus sometime within the last 3 months, right? Is that a fair way to look at it (acknowledging of course that 0-3 months is an estimation)?

On 7/13/2021 at 8:33 PM, narduch said:

This is just the media being cheeky. FIFA won't let them get away with that.

Besides the Mexican FA already came out and said they wouldn't do that. I'm too lazy to hunt that down.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:14 PM, JamboAl said:

I was doing some research and anyone thinking of heading down to Nashville will need to have a negative Covid test before you board the plane back.  That Covid test currently costs US $175; may want to budget that into it.

https://booking.sameday-testing.com/booking/tennessee--nashville--midtown

Hi, where did you get the info on the cost of the covid test?  The dept of homeland health provides links to places that provide the test - Walgreens, CVS, etc. and they don't list a cost. Are those only for locals?  I'm sure intl people will be reading that info. I'm confused.  Just when you think you have the info you see something contradictory.  i booked an appointment for a drive through covid test at a cvs location and it says nothing about a cost

On 8/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, djcuse said:

I've just bought my ticket in 303. 

My plan is to take an antigen test Thursday morning... Fly to Nashville Friday morning, immediately head straight to Rapid PCR test before going anywhere else in Nashville so that I can have a result within 72 hours of flying back (Monday morning). 

That's my plan too except I'll get my antigen test on Wed instead of Thurs.  Where are you getting your PCR test and is there a cost?  The info i received from United Airlines which has links to the dept of health and homeland shows locations for tests in Tennessee and the walgreens and CVS show no cost. 

7 hours ago, VJTO said:

Hi, where did you get the info on the cost of the covid test?  The dept of homeland health provides links to places that provide the test - Walgreens, CVS, etc. and they don't list a cost. Are those only for locals?  I'm sure intl people will be reading that info. I'm confused.  Just when you think you have the info you see something contradictory.  i booked an appointment for a drive through covid test at a cvs location and it says nothing about a cost

I did a search here: https://covid19.tn.gov/testing-sites/

I know CVS and Walgreens does COVID tests but I was told by one place I called that they were only for local/state residents, but I haven’t been to the States since the start of the pandemic so can’t confirm that.  I would be very interested to know what you find out.

Hey y’all, former poster on the old board many moons ago as canadiankick97

Heading down to the Nash with my stepdad. JamboAl/VJTO...I was in Portland/Seattle in June and managed to get two free PCR tests at Walgreens. The turnaround time was about 50 hours and caused me to miss my flight from Seattle to Baku (😂😭) and a euro cup game between Wales and Switzerland but it was well within the 72 hrs needed for Canada. Not sure if it’ll be the same deal as in Tennessee. They put my address down as my friend’s who I was staying with in Vancouver, Washington. 

Are the majority of people going sitting in 303?? We don’t have tickets yet.

Also a patio for pre match beers as a group would be nice with a small march across the river.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I did a search here: https://covid19.tn.gov/testing-sites/

I know CVS and Walgreens does COVID tests but I was told by one place I called that they were only for local/state residents, but I haven’t been to the States since the start of the pandemic so can’t confirm that.  I would be very interested to know what you find out.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm new to this board.  I tried to call the CVS I booked an appointment at and could only reach a virtual assistant that said the cost was around $140 but i don't know if that's for everyone or just locals.  On top of that it's only drive through and I won;t have a car there so to have to Uber it there and get it done in that way is awkward.  Imagine what the driver would think.  I think I'm going to get it done at the clinic, the ink to which you posted so thanks for proviidng that

1 hour ago, Bene11 said:

Hey y’all, former poster on the old board many moons ago as canadiankick97

Heading down to the Nash with my stepdad. JamboAl/VJTO...I was in Portland/Seattle in June and managed to get two free PCR tests at Walgreens. The turnaround time was about 50 hours and caused me to miss my flight from Seattle to Baku (😂😭) and a euro cup game between Wales and Switzerland but it was well within the 72 hrs needed for Canada. Not sure if it’ll be the same deal as in Tennessee. They put my address down as my friend’s who I was staying with in Vancouver, Washington. 

Are the majority of people going sitting in 303?? We don’t have tickets yet.

Also a patio for pre match beers as a group would be nice with a small march across the river.

I'm surprised you got the test for free because the places I've checked list no cost, but when I call or dig further they all charge for it. I'm going to sit on my own in the lower level so Amercans can see me in my Canada regaiia.  i'm going to try to hang a canadian and city of Toronto flag on a railing if possible

2 hours ago, executivestepdad said:

Yes with a fairly large group. Down for

the pre-game March that one of the other senior members was mentioning. DM me so we can make a group chat. LFG. 

What section are you in? Still haven’t bought tickets but would be nice to be with Canadians. 

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Costa Rica… 

What about it? 😂

Quick research here tells me that Costa Rican league games are behind closed doors, but Panama is open to public. Obviously NT will be different and things can change by now til march.

19 minutes ago, Ingham said:

What about it? 😂

Quick research here tells me that Costa Rican league games are behind closed doors, but Panama is open to public. Obviously NT will be different and things can change by now til march.

Yeah, I am just planning on CR if it is viable.  We talked about a trip there this year anyway, and we always travel in March, so I am trying to make it seem like that is the consensus choice by repeating it often….

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I am just planning on CR if it is viable.  We talked about a trip there this year anyway, and we always travel in March, so I am trying to make it seem like that is the consensus choice by repeating it often….

Count me in if so. I'd be willing. I can also speak Spanish fluently and have been to Costa Rica, so I'd like to think I'd be of help 😁

1 minute ago, mrstepp817 said:

I bet at CVS/Walgreens it totally depends on who is working...some might be sticklers about ensuring local ID etc...some might not...it can vary greatly lol 

Go eat some Hot Chicken in Nashville if you can

CVS and Walgrens is drive in. I had a friend do it this week on a trip in New Jersey and it went smooth sailing. They actually hand you the swab through the window. They marked him down as an not insured person. Took about 30 hours for the results. 

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

CVS and Walgrens is drive in. I had a friend do it this week on a trip in New Jersey and it went smooth sailing. They actually hand you the swab through the window. They marked him down as an not insured person. Took about 30 hours for the results. 

30 hours for a PCR aint bad at all 

5 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

30 hours for a PCR aint bad at all 

Just depends on when you are leaving especially if there an issue with the first sample. It is key to get your test as soon possible if its a short trip, not leaving anything to chance. 

On 8/28/2021 at 1:49 PM, executivestepdad said:

Anyone going to Nashville who is a massive fan is more than welcome to pre at our Air BnB it’s a huge house with a hot tub down town. DM me. LETS FUCKING GO. 

What neighborhood are yall staying in? I live in Nashville

On 8/29/2021 at 8:42 AM, admin said:

Can someone who is going to Nashville take the lead on finding a pre / post game location? 

I can let people know about it.

I highly recommend pre-game meet up at Fleet Street Pub. Most known soccer bar in town, and it's only 0.6 mile walk to Nissan Stadium. So I think it would be perfect spot to do a march together if we can get that going.